Jw spokesman Says door to door preaching not coming back!

by nowwhat? 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I doubt it will be popular with members of the public for a very long time, especially as the virus will mutate in the next few years and we will need booster jabs.

JWs may be a physical risk to the public but I actually think the public are a spiritual risk to JWs now and watchtower knows it. The child abuse scandals are well known In the western, developed countries and communities in Africa are also starting to become aware and informed by all accounts with exjw You tubers from Africa, too.

The message is getting out there which is another reason people like Antony Morris are doubling down on the "evil apostate we must hate" garbage.

Hate speech toward those who don't share your beliefs is no longer acceptable. Could that be yet another reason watchtower is reluctant to restart the D2D work? After all, their whole belief system is based on the destruction of the undeserving wicked ones .....in other words, the death of those who don't share their beliefs.

• carla
    carla

Why use a Bible with a cross on it? Just shows how little research the "journalist" actually did.

• dozy
    dozy

The problem is without door-to-door , the whole basis of the religion kind of fizzles away. Half or more of the meeting content is directly or indirectly about doing "the ministry". Ostensibly , it is all about preaching the good news as Armageddon is near. I just can't see that ever being replaced with letter writing or whatever.

Franz relates in his books that when the GB discussed the ( extremely shaky ) scriptural basis of D to D , one of the GB members said ( I'm paraphrasing here ) "if we don't have door-to-door , what will the brothers do? They will do nothing. "

And I would take with a big pinch of salt the "150 contacts a day" on the website. For a start , for a country of 328 million , this represents 0.0016% of the population. Also note how he said was careful to say that this was people who "reach out in some way." A lot will be bogus / timewasters - very few will be actually people requesting bible studies or even having any interest.

I say this as someone who was the service overseer for many years and used to follow up on people who filled in "contact us" slips that were often printed in Kingdom News tracts , Watchtowers etc and forwarded to us by Bethel. We got maybe two or three a year - invariably they were fakes / people putting in their friends' details for a laugh / "opposed" people or local crazies wanting us to call on them etc. I remember one instance when I drove 40 miles to the end of our territory , eventually up a long farm track in a very rural area , to find it had been mailed in by a "born again Christian" type who rejoiced that his sole intention of mailing the slip was to waste 2 hours of my time and gas.

I shared this experience with the CO & he admitted that most congregation secretaries probably just binned the forms - the Society were never bothered and never followed up. And remember that these were people who had to buy a stamp and mail it in - not just spent a minute on a website filling in address details.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    invariably they were fakes / people putting in their friends' details for a laugh / "opposed" people or local crazies wanting us to call on them etc.

Yep, my experience too. Mainly lonely old folks who wanted someone to talk to, or semi-nuts who wanted to tell you about fake moon landings or the hormones added to cow's milk.

• Overrated
    Overrated

If this is true, finally, some peace on Saturday without idiots coming around trying to convert you to a cult. They can send letters all they like. They will end up unopened in the trash can.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

This is actually a Big deal. The door to door preaching work was the main basis for believing that we were living in the LAST DAYS.

It is tied up with BLOOD GUILT according to the bible book of Ezekiel.

This will be a WAKE UP CALL for about 70% of the JWs. Those 50 and under.

There is no more basis for believing that the Great Tribulation is just around the corner. There is no urgency anymore.

It will take a couple of years before it SINKS IN. There is going to be a shitload of cognitive dissidence in the congregations. But in a few years there will be a steady exodus out of the organization.

I think the Leaders of the WT already knew this was coming.

You can only CRY WOLF so many times before they start telling you---GO TO HELL!

• asp59
    asp59

Before convid you almost didn't see any JWs door to door. They were all sitting with the carts. Meetings half empty. Still think they becoming a only online religion. Gonna affect the preaching work.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Wasn't there a slip of the lip by some European WT rep that suggested this a few years back?

If it's legit, I'm willing to bet it's been in the cards for a while... probably ever since WT Legal has told them that trying to hold back the Rising Tide of CSA lawsuits is a losing battle ('specially if the Org's as anxious to keep their tax-exemption as I suspect).

Covid's given them all the pretext they needed to leave it in the rearview mirror and thusly mitigate any accusations that "pedophiles are knocking on your doors trying to recruit your kids", without admitting that's the actual reason (not to mention facilitating the long-suspected transition to an "e-church", which enables them to keep selling off real estate assets to stay in the black).

Not that I'm complaining...

...the D2D work and in-person KH meetings were the two most effective forms of tribal bonding the Org had in their playbook.

Ten bucks says it's gonna be way harder to maintain organizational cohesion and discipline without 'em.

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

I guess the "rocks will have to cry out now."

• Overrated
    Overrated

Watchtower is on it's way to being an online/TV operation. " Brothers you can show your spirituality by purchasing Gee-hober Bucks". I see it coming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit