If the org. Is being advised by consultants, is a name change in the works?

by nowwhat? 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NOW WHAT2:

I could be wrong and it certainly makes No difference to me…but if the religion were to actually change its name from Jehovah’s Witnesses to something else I think it may contribute to an exodus.

Too many have had enough and are already on the fence and are disturbed and disappointed by recent changes.. I could picture some hearing this, chuckle to themselves and then leave after the closing prayer - for good.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I have to say, I wonder if they would welcome an exodus of the most hardcore JWs. If the idea is to appeal to a younger demographic that doesn't accept the old authoritarian ways, you can't help but make the long-time loyalists feel uncomfortable, if not outright unwelcome. Losing them would be a bumpy road, but what is left behind might be something to build on.

I admit, I tend to see this stuff through the lens of an old-timer and long-time devout JW (whose experience spans mostly the 80s-90s). If they plan to go mainstream, that is the type of person they won't be able to cater to. If they are taking the long view, they need to let go of the people who are waiting on an end that will happen any minute now and build a membership of people who just live the life. You can't try to appeal to both, because both will leave.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

If they take the name "Jehovah" out of their name, that might be a bridge too far.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I kind of think some sort of name change is not out of the question or I wouldn't be surprised. The religion identifiers of the past are long gone. They don't even have to explain their faith and doctrine in the field. They just show them the website.

I'm still so curious about what my old friends think about it all.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TONUS OH:

So, let them go ahead and do that and try to get rid of the old-time loyalists. They are probably propping up the religion. Maybe both types will walk out and they’ll have nobody there.🤣

Makes no difference to me although I realize many on the forum still attend - whether they believe at some level - or are trying to appease family.. I also have to laugh at some of the suggestions here and elsewhere - whether they are made in jest or in all seriousness.

I’m just Glad I’m not in the Witness religion anymore to be around gullible sad-sacks and desperate people looking for handouts! 👎 This is all something to run from and be observed from a distance!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    LongHairGal - “…They are probably propping up the religion…”

With what? Pensions and duct tape?

Trust me, most senior citizens are barely scraping by…

…propping up a floundering church ain’t high on their to-do list.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

why did the org pay an outside consultancy (if true ) to show them where they have gone wrong ?...

we could have shown them-for free.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Vidiot With what? Pensions and duct tape?

I tend to think the older ones who donated the bulk of the wealth Watchtower invested - and now lives off of the interest from - (mostly converts) have now passed away.

The boomer generation - born in elders & pioneers that dedicated their whole lives to the cause, failing to prepare for old age have very little to donate to the org. Believing the end would come they're barely scraping by themselves.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Stan Why did the org pay an outside consultancy (if true ) to show them where they have gone wrong ?.
    we could have shown them-for free.
    👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
    They could have "roll up roll up and read all about it" right on here!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    stan livedeath - why did the org pay an outside consultancy (if true) to show them where they have gone wrong?...we could have shown them-for free.”

We’re “apostates”…

we’re the ones who are “wrong”.

Haven't you been paying attention?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit