If the org. Is being advised by consultants, is a name change in the works?

by nowwhat? 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

You're right of course TonusOH. I guessing that you must be half-full glass, kind of guy.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

they should definitely dump the word WATCHTOWER. Lose the prison camp connotation.

It will be easy enough now there are hardly any magazines being printed.

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

Uhhhh... probably Christian Congregation of the Jehovah Witness....remember that congregation means church too.

• Gorb
    Gorb

Biblestudents was not bad at all.

Rutherford made a sect of it.

G.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I cringe whenever one of the higher-ups says "Jehovah", when anyone else, outside of the organisation, says "God". The name change could be possible. They probably couldn't have "church" in their title. Something like "Worldwide Congregations of the God of the Bible" might be enough to look more mainstream while maintaining some distinctiveness. Of course they might need to change the whole "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" title to something with "Bible" in it to facilitate a change of that sort.

There are plenty of naming possibilities. "New Life", "New Hope", and so on.

But a name change won't necessarily stick. Prince tried to be clever and ended up being "the singer formerly known as Prince". X is still called Twitter by most people. Be prepared for "the organisation formerly known as The Jehovah's Witnesses "

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Just to add, if they were thinking of dropping "Jehovah" in order to mainstream, you'd think that they would be getting people used to it by using "God" more. A post just this week pointed to an article put out by them with "Jehovah" as virtually every second word*. They may have thought of it, rejected it and are doubling down to make sure.

But it wouldn't be the first time they've apparently doubled down on something, only to unceremoniously drop it later. Although the "later" usually is a couple of decades or so...

* https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/4697143395221504/june-2024-study-watchtower

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Rutherford made a sect of it all.

We can see a "distancing" of this horse shit in recent times.

Like that if beards.

Which boozerford despised.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I like to imagine Rutherford in Hell, being forced to watch a live feed in real-time of his entire legacy all going to shit.

😏

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I can imagine certain parts of the name being less emphasized, like they are already doing, leaning on the JW.org instead of Jehovah’s Witnesses. As others pointed out, eliminating the word Watchtower or even retiring the legal entity Watchtower Bible and Tract Society may be a legal thing to get rid of the bad name and debt without the majority of JWs even noticing. They try to do this all the time in CSA lawsuits, by eliminating the shell corporation that a local Kingdom Hall is and then re-incorporating it under another name with another set of elders, it makes it harder to go after them and recover any damages and they can claim this was ten years ago with a group of rogue leaders and they no longer exist and that reduces damages significantly.

So I think the private/public Watchtower and Awake will be eliminated, they’ll probably combine them into something a bit more modern. They may even go ‘back’ to a magazine that is a bit more substantial but combine their 3 magazines in one, something like Eternal Decades.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

Could they call themselves 'The Truth'...??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit