Does Anyone Still Believe in God?

by LaurenM 447 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Then the question is as meaningless...

Well that is why I am an atheist. It has no real bearing on my everyday existence except when I'm discussing it on the internet.

... as whether there is a teapot orbiting Mars.

However to me its not a teapot orbiting Mars. I cannot completely dismiss the idea that there may be an impersonal but sentient God because if so it may imply that some questions will remain eternally unanswerable: For example: Is geometry a property of the physical universe only or is it independent of matter? Is causality independent of matter? The above questions may seem meaningless in the same way that determining the size of the universe is also meaningless. After all it has no bearing on our everyday lives, yet it is tantalizing and science has constantly attempted to start to answer the question.

Personally if an impersonal all powerful God exists, I would very much like to break the simulation and climb up the extension cord.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

From the OP;

Jesus is a wonderful character

No. Jesus was dishonest, judgemental and partisan. A teacher who tells lies is neither a 'good teacher' nor a moral man.

• cofty
    cofty

How has the myth of Jesus being the epitome of goodness survived so long?

I suspect the answer is that so few have actually read the gospels.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    when one ponders the grandeur of the universe, things like dark matter, string theory and still undiscovered scientific realities of things right here on earth. I remain an agnostic. If there is a god he/she/it certainly isn't represented by the man made religion.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I lost faith in the God of Jehovah's Witnesses when I left them, but still thought there was a possibility that some kind of God did exist. I was content to leave it like that for about eight years at which point I found JWN. After reading many posts by atheists and others I stopped believing in him or her altogether.

For a while it seemed a bit of a loss, I envied those who still believed, as it seemed to help them get through life somehow, even if God was only in their imagination. I missed spirituality and even attended a liberal church for a few months in hopes of finding it there. Gradually I came to prefer the uncomfortable truth rather than the comfortable lie. Now I feel I have gained back my spirituality, but a better spirituality based on truth not fantasy. I have hope for the future and am enjoying my life very much. For me spirituality is in every moment of connection between two souls, in every beautiful sunset, in every thing I create, in every great meal I cook. I don't need anything more than that.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

When you have lost your religion or never had one finding a label can feel

important. For a label to fit it needs to resonate personally and also communicate

what you want to say to the world. So what options do we have.

1)Atheist 2)Anti-theist 3)Agnostic 4)Skeptic 5)Freethinker 6) Humanist and 7) Pantheist

I like freethinker...

• the comet
    the comet
    No.
  • prologos
    prologos
    8) Deist.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

No. I don't believe in the god of the bible. I do believe that Jesus was a profound man who taught some good things useful for our life today.

This beautiful planet is the closest thing to a god for me. I stand in awe and wonder of the things existing on and in her. She is a beautiful queen and an abusive **ich at the same time. Some of the most beautiful skies I have ever seen are just before a killer typhoon. Beautiful jungles are loaded with living organisms that want to kill you etc.

I'm always willing to look at any evidence provided, though.

• flunkiejimmy
    flunkiejimmy

God died after he created the universe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit