What immodest clothing have you got in trouble for wearing?

by Addison0998 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparky1
    sparky1

Not quite on topic but: I've always had naturally curly hair. Apparently in the '70's it was a no-no. As a young pioneer, I was out in the door to door work with the Circuit Overseer. Now mind you, my hair was not long just curly. He told me that I needed to use Brylcreem to straighten my hair and look more presentable for Jehovah. I guess Jehovah frowns on white boys with curly hair.

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

My wife wore culottes (trousers-skirt). Very representative in the business setting. Came home late and decided not to change for the meeting, while she had a #3 talk. The school overseer after her talk counselled her. She objected. In the end, he said she could wear it to the hall, but not if she had a podium part.

• Butyoucanneverleave
    Butyoucanneverleave

This was in the early 80's. I came to the meeting straight from work and still had on my work uniform. Blue pants and a button down shirt. An elder approached me and asked why I was not in a skirt. I explained that I came straight from work and didn't have time to change. He told me I should have just stayed home. My husband and I showed up at the next Sunday meeting in our jeans. He didn't say a word to us. Idiots!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    got chastised, and "soft shunned" for wearing a pair of black denim dress pants with a snapped western shirt and western tie with boots (I do not own any other style of clothing) while out in rural ranch country when I still used to go in service. And horror of horrors I was driving my pickup!

Yeah FedUp It's funny how some traditional dress styles ( African, Indian etc) are acceptable...yet others are not.

Plenty of businessmen wear smart western gear in that neck of the woods ..have those elders never watched J.R. Ewing in " Dallas"??!!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I was told that I would need to change my dress pants and suit jacket as a matching two-piece suit was mandatory for stage assignments. I just laughed and said, "I don't have one of those." He said, 'Oh, well, okay' and never mentioned it again. Same thing happened with my handlebar mustache with soul patch, told I couldn't have privileges in the congregation while I had it. I said "Show me the scripture and I'll see what I can do" and got the same response. No 'privileges' taken away, never mentioned again. I was mentally in at the time, but I don't think I'd push that envelope nowadays, I just want to stay under the radar for the most part, not give 'cause for stumbling' if it isn't necessary, save it for the important stuff.

• blondie
    blondie

When was out by WT Farm (ha, that is what it was called the)n, regular pioneers were invited to work in the "garden" and pick strawberries and put insecticide on the tomatoes (had to wear gloves but breathed it in). We had to do the T-shirt test (no logos) and the bend over test for shirts, no cleavage and nothing seen when bending over. Had to have neckline high. Shorts had to be to the knee. Don't want to excite the young single brothers. We were allowed to count half the time required for each month when we worked.

• zeb
    zeb

There is modesty and there is obsession!

allowed half the time etc.. Did you get allowed more time for heavier vegetables?...

and when you were picking fruit from trees what then screens around the trees? But I descend to sarcasm...

The gb stated recently thet jw must be prepared to obey even if the orders seemed strange (or words to that effect) this dress thing is another area where the rules will go on getting ever more demanding. As the pre$$ure builds on the wt they will work harder to to exercise control and it will come out in ever more bizarre ways.

Thats my $1 worth.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I got in trouble because my knees were on show when I sat down at a cult meeting. I was told to put my coat over my legs.

When I was a teen and my father was a shining rising elder, before I could get in the car to go to meetings, he made me slowly turn all the way around so he could inspect my panty hose for runs. That made me a nervous wreck, because there was seldom money to buy me new ones. He always "needed" a new suit or new black leather shoes because he had a talk out of town.

Finding winter coats was always a project. The ones I liked weren't always "suitable" for field service. I had to get stuck with something long and ugly. Shoes had to be pre-approved my dad, then he would "give" my mom money and permission to buy them for me.

Good times growing up.

or

• zeb
    zeb

Virgochik.

Go forth spoil yourself!!

• sir82
    sir82

Apparently the denim fabric is disrespectful to Jehovah

Yep.

If you want to attend one of the international conventions next year, it is explicitly and specifically forbidden to wear blue jeans, even when on your "own time" while overseas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit