Some prayers really annoy me

by stillin 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillin
    stillin

I realize that prayer is a really personal thing, but representing a group in prayer has become so full of cliche's that I just want to vomit sometimes. For example;

CO week almost EVERY prayer has the phrase "special week of activity" in it.

Then there's "please look after the sick and afflicted."

Not so much anymore, "please bless this food and the hands that prepared it."

got any favorites of your own?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the sort of prayer i would have loved to hear....

OY GOD

LISSEN

THIS MEETIN HAS BEEN JUST SO FUCKIN BORIN--AS USUAL

WENNYA GONNA DO SUMMAT REALLY COOL

LIKE--

HIT US WIV A LIGHTNIN BOLT OR SUMMAT?

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

"please bless the governing body"

"please forgive us for our sins and imperfection"

"we leave this meeting in your care and direction"

just saying!

• hoser
    hoser

Public prayers are nothing but ass kissing and bragging. The longer the prayer apparently the more spiritual the person who says it.

The pain at the last prayer of the last day of the convention is effin unbearable.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

got any favorites of your own?

All of it. Other people praying is just annoying. I believe that prayer and any connection that you have with whichever source of spirituality you choose, is personal and unique to you. Hence, including other people in any prayer is like using a public toilet. May serve the purpose but leaves you wondering how healthy the event has been.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

'Interchange of encouragement' is one we hear a lot of.

We had a brother whose whole prayer was one long string of cliches.

• amicabl
    amicabl

In my just left cong there is a newbee who obviously writes out and memorises his eloquent prayers. Obviously to impress and advance his career prospects in the org. However just as I realise this there would be many who also see this and take note of the fact that he left his common law wife (and child) to marry a spiritual in the truth sister. I wonder how it will turn out for him?

• stillin
    stillin

Scratchme, I tend to agree with you about public prayer. Who do we think we are to claim to represent another person before God? It seems arrogant when I look at it like that. But in the context of "shared experience" like a disaster, or a meeting of JW's I will make some concessions.

The "Amen" muttered by all gets me, too.

• tiki
    tiki

When they recap the whole meeting...like we have to tell Jehovah all about it because otherwise he will never know....

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

"Father, we know we fall short because we are imperfect, so we ask you to please forgive us our sins..." blah, hlab, lahb, halb...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit