Calling Cofty and others regarding evolution

by dubstepped 340 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@OldNavy - Is there a chance that it is you that have been very cleverly deceived? Who would be the "deceiver"? What % would you give that chance?

• hothabanero
    hothabanero
    @shepherdless: However, it was not the theory that had to be tested to a "beyond reasonable doubt" in each case.

are you saying the standard model is not tested beyond reasonable doubt, or are you saying it does not matter in physics if there is reasonable doubt about.a theory???

neither of these things makes much sense to me

True or false: the standard model has been tested beyond reasonable doubt?

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

We can no more "prove" the theory of evolution than we can "prove" the theory of gravity. Because scientific theories can never be proven - they can only ever be useful. That is to say, the validity of a scientific theory is in its exploratory and predictive abilities. Not it's "proofs".

However, specific inferences from a theory can be factual (demonstrable with measurable accuracy). For example, it is a fact that objects with mass attract to each other. It's also a fact that we share a common ancestor with all other species on this planet.

• Driveby
    Driveby
    Who really cares what anyone believes so long as it doesn't result in any sort of bad behavior?

No one as long as they keep it to themselves.

• Outahere
  • hothabanero
    hothabanero

@Outhahere: Check out coftys reply: he knows better than wikipedia lol ("Apparently I do in this instance.")

I will happily accept my time browsing for hot sisters in Afake! is the equivalent of a college degree, but a PHD??? the lolz..

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Question from DubStepped:

Is there a chance that it is you that have been very cleverly deceived? Who would be the "deceiver"? What % would you give that chance?

While I consider that to be very unlikely after having explored Life in its tiniest details, one of course can never be absolutely certain, until the day arrives. The day when all Truth will be revealed. We're getting there in jumps and starts but get there we shall. You're asking who told the first lie? Who is the father of the lie? I suppose it would be the ones who would rather we didn't believe (or have faith) that Love is our Creator.

I'm looking forward to that day when all will know what they've always wanted to know...

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from DriveBy:

No one as long as they keep it to themselves.

Who are "they" and what is "it" that they should keep to themselves?

You wouldn't be advocating censorship or non-freedom of speech, wouldja now?

What the heck; I guess there are some who would prefer to live in a bubble...

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

responding to a question above:

are you saying the standard model is not tested beyond reasonable doubt, or are you saying it does not matter in physics if there is reasonable doubt about.a theory???

The standard model of particle physics has not been proven "beyond reasonable doubt". In fact, its inability to explain, for example, "dark matter" is a puzzle, not yet solved. It does matter in physics if there is a reasonable doubt about a theory. The thing about physics, (and the scientific method of discovery in general), is that you never assume to know anything with absolute 100% certainty. Dogma is not allowed.

neither of these things makes much sense to me
    True or false: the standard model has been tested beyond reasonable doubt?

To repeat myself, the standard model has not been tested beyond reasonable doubt. The existence of the Higgs bosun has been proved to a level that I think any sensible person would consider beyond reasonable doubt. However, that does not necessarily prove the underlying theory that predicted its discovery. Can you see the difference?

On the other hand, the theory of evolution has i.m.o. been overwhelmingly proved, with overwhelming amounts of evidence from separate and unrelated fields of science.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, by the way.

• Outahere
    Outahere

Instrumentalism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit