Calling Cofty and others regarding evolution

by dubstepped 340 Replies latest jw friends

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Hothbanero, glad to hear you are not necessarily a "christian". That indicates you are open minded on the issues.

Yes hothbanero, a theory, known as the Standard Model of particle physics, derived around 50 years ago, predicted the discovery of quarks, the tau neutrino, and more recently the Higgs bosun. It is hard to overstate how important this is, in relation to our understanding of the universe. However, it was not the theory that had to be tested to a "beyond reasonable doubt" in each case. It was the results of the experiment. That is a very important distinction. In the case of the Higgs bosun, they had to get enough data to show that its detection couldn't be due to random chance, to (I am going from memory here) a 5 sigma standard deviation level, which is a small probability, well less that 1 in a million. (I could explain more precisely and in more detail, but I might get called a nerd again.)

The point is, it was not the theory being tested to beyond 1 in a million probability, it was the experiment.

Bringing that back to evolution, it is reasonable to ask whether some of the tests, experiments and data have been determined to a beyond doubt stage. Eg are we certain that DNA exists? How do we know carbon dating works? Are the fossils accurate reconstructions? Do jellyfish really have primitive eyes? etc. But that is not the same as proving an entire theory (the underlying explanation that appears to tie everything together) and every aspect of it, beyond doubt.

• Driveby
    Driveby
    BTW You think I am a christian or creationist or something?? Believe it or not, it is possible to write things Cofty don't like without being a christian!

Of course you can be anything to write nonsense.

They did something similar with Einsteins theory recently but I can't remember the details. You see what I mean?

No.

• hotpot99
  • Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from Cofty:

Creationism isn't a 'theory' it's a myth.

Yes, the grass does look greener from your side of the fence. But, when Evolution is proven to be fantasy one day (as it surely shall) what will then be thine refrain?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Chances are that if evolution was disproven then Cofty would accept that and change. Cofty didn't start there, he likely was a staunch creationist but his thinking evol..... um.... he changed his mind with new information. He's shown that ability. You?

• Driveby
    Driveby
    But, when Evolution is proven to be fantasy one day (as it surely shall) what will then be thine refrain?

For a staunch creationist to admit that evolution cannot be proven false at this point in time is a good starting point. That's a little higher up the ladder than those who believe that scientists are evil and controlled by Satan who is using the theory of evolution to destroy Christianity. Or, is that what you do believe?

Creationism is a religion. If you continue to strongly believe in that religion, NOTHING will ever change your mind! All you're doing is proselytizing junk creationism. You've resorted to attacking something you know nothing about by calling it a fantasy because it is impossible to defend your myth.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I got my copy for free. I like it. I’ve got a collection of religious literature. Somewhere.

• cofty
    cofty

SBF does the internet from the west of Scotland detour via Pluto?

If you post now we can expect your answer by the weekend!

• Driveby
    Driveby

Creationism 101

Where did the concept of creationism originate?

With Abrahamic religions, it was written in their ancient Hebrew manuscripts.

What evidence did the ancient Israelites have to support their assertion?

None.

Why do folks still believe what was written in those ancient manuscripts?

Because they believe some supernatural being said it was so.

What evidence do we have today that proves creationism?

None.

Faith is what drives the belief in creationism. Creationism was not founded upon evidence, and still cannot be supported with modern scientific knowledge.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from DubStepped:

Chances are that if evolution was disproven then Cofty would accept that and change. Cofty didn't start there, he likely was a staunch creationist but his thinking evol..... um.... he changed his mind with new information. He's shown that ability. You?

It is certain that all who've "changed their minds" to support the Theory of Evolution believe they've done so in response to very convincing evidence. It could also be that they've been very cleverly deceived. When the time is right we shall all be in a position to modify our beliefs as we let go of falsehood and accept Truth.

Quote from DriveBy:

For a staunch creationist to admit that evolution cannot be proven false at this point in time is a good starting point. That's a little higher up the ladder than those who believe that scientists are evil and controlled by Satan who is using the theory of evolution to destroy Christianity. Or, is that what you do believe?

There is insufficient evidence presently accepted as such by the Evolutionists to either prove or disprove their doctrine. The evidence for Creation is abundant yet it cannot be "seen" by those who choose to support other beliefs. Which they are free to do. We do know that Science is subjected to pressures to conform to belief systems which support an agenda. Not all who are engaged in scientific research yield to such pressures; but they do so at a cost. The Theory of Evolution is not evil in itself and it certainly isn't a threat to Christianity. Some who claim to be Christian are just a tad too pushy about their false beliefs too.

Again from DriveBy:

Creationism is a religion. If you continue to strongly believe in that religion, NOTHING will ever change your mind! All you're doing is proselytizing junk creationism. You've resorted to attacking something you know nothing about by calling it a fantasy because it is impossible to defend your myth.

It does seem that Creationism has been made into a Religion by certain advocates; but it shouldn't be. Why some believe it is their obligation to devote much effort to "changing minds" about these things is beyond me. Who really cares what anyone believes so long as it doesn't result in any sort of bad behavior? In truth, Creationism really doesn't require any sort of defensive effort. In due time all will "see" the Truth and will happily emit sighs of relief. Thinking about the origins of life and the mystery of all the good fruits which life has produced is time well spent. Trying to change minds is rather a waste. Unless of course, one has powers such as The Borg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit