by Terry 46 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

My techy kids emphatically say: NO!

Doc

• OnTheWayOut
  • talesin
    talesin
    No way, Jose. That's what my techie friends say. It's an updated version of Vista. (and don't forget, it's Beta, so there will be lots of updates and 'bugs' to be worked out).
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing to note is that if after a month of trying out the OS and you want to revert back to your previous OS,

Microsoft put in a program for you to do that right into the OS, you have 1 month to make up your mind.

There is most likely going to be proceeding updates ( SP1) in 2016.

The OS does seem to operate a bit quicker, I think I will hang on to it and wait for improvements down the road.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I just got a new computer two months ago with WIndows 10, other computer is nine years old and runs Vista, so I needed something new anyway.

Terry, do you use Microsoft Edge? The guy at the store told me when I bought it that Microsoft released it a bit too soon before they could get the kinks out so I"ve never really used it, what do you think of it?

• Heaven
    Heaven

I'm-a waitin' on Windows 13. It's the Pagan side of me coming out.

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

I like this user quote:

"Windows is third rate software that in many respects does not even rate as an operating system. A pretty desktop is not an operating system. How about dumping the entire file system... removing the DLL concept, removing the registry ? The operating system under the pretty desktop (most of which was ripped off from apple) is substandard third rate software."

• talesin
    talesin

Fink, I had read they offered the month to switch back, and that is great. I would venture to guess that they've been steadily tweaking it, and some of the bugs have been worked out.

The following comment of notsurewhertogo would be one of my big concerns, and is the reason why I am planning on losing google as my browser and switching back to Firefox. Firefox is run for and by users. They were having problems with FlashPlayers a couple of years ago, and I switched to Chrome until that got sorted out - Chrome is so fast, though, I got hooked. Their latest privacy invasions have given me pause.

.RE: Win10, from notsurewheretogo.

You are forced to receive updates, you cannot decline them...
    And the amount of syncing of data back to MS servers even though you disable things defies belief...
    W10 is a big no no

Win8 was definitely using the PC buyers as guinea pigs - come on, I have to buy your OS, with no hard copy? And I can't just copy to disc, I have to backup my whole hard drive? That didn't last long.

Linux is a great OS, but you need to be flexible with your wants/needs, and somewhat savvy to effectively use it. That's what I've gathered from friends, and from my own perusal of their site and forums - it's the best OS for the average user, but there is a learning curve. Once you get past that, it's my understanding that you will be very, very happy with it.

If you have problems figuring out facebook, then Linux may not be for you. ; )

• GodZoo
    GodZoo
    "the reason why I am planning on losing google as my browser and switching back to Firefox. Firefox is run for and by users. They were having problems with FlashPlayers a couple of years ago, and I switched to Chrome until that got sorted out - Chrome is so fast, though, I got hooked. Their latest privacy invasions have given me pause."

The complete abandonment of all Google products and tools is a very good idea.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Unfortunately there's some operating influences from Win 8 that have been retained within Win 10.

Win 8 was a total screw up , where Microsoft created an OS for both a Tablet touch screen UI and Desk top UI .

Really a dumb idea, like businesses and home users are going to switch to a touch screen UI environment.

Long live the Mouse and Keyboard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit