THOUGHTS ON UPGRADING TO (Free) WINDOWS 10

by Terry 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, do you use Microsoft Edge? The guy at the store told me when I bought it that Microsoft released it a bit too soon before they could get the kinks out so I"ve never really used it, what do you think of it?

Edge is okay, but it is flabby and unexciting compared to Google Chrome. I've tried Firefox too and Google just can't be beaten so far.

But Microsoft Edge will do basic things competently and without upset.
    Two things to consider.

1. If you are accustomed to hammering nails with your shoe heel, it works fine for you. So, if somebody hands you a hammer--its quite an exciting upgrade in technology.

2. If you are accustomed to hammering nails with a hammer, and somebody hands you a shoe--it's not the same experience. Both work, right? But I mean--really? :)

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

Lol..this makes me laugh.. no matter what Terry asks, on any subject, no matter what, he always absolutely, right, in everything, forever..

Even when he asks your opinion or experience on anything.. he's always absolutely right about that too.. in everything, forever. Need know what you feel? Ask Terry. Need to know what you know? Ask Terry.

Reminds me of God's conversation with Job.. pretending to ask questions when in fact God was right about everything all the time.

Incredible. That's quite a gift you have there Terry. Humans must bore you so much.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Being a new user with Win10 for the last week going from Win 7 , I can say that the OS has its virtues and its foibles.

It will be eventually tweaked and updated like all the other OS's from MS so will have to be patient.

I'll take it as it is, just to keep up to date with MS and its core OS.

Even if you must have some of the features that Win 7 had, ie. Aero Theme Windows , there are third party programs that you can install and make that happen.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Windows 10 is fast to boot, fast to shut down.

Privacy, what's that, the minute you open a gmail account your info belongs to the man.

Microsoft Edge is very fast, less prone to crashing than Firefox, and less of a resource hog than Chrome.

Still, it behaves differently than Firefox, I still use Firefox for some applications.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Privacy, what's that, the minute you open a gmail account your info belongs to the man.

At least MS makes the capability to turn off most of those intrusive data gathering within the OS itself.

I also didn't make an account with MS either for that reason , even turned off one drive.

This is a highlighted major complainant you hear from Win 10 users.

• Terry
    Terry

GodZoo:

Lol..this makes me laugh.. no matter what Terry asks, on any subject, no matter what, he always absolutely, right, in everything, forever..

Even when he asks your opinion or experience on anything.. he's always absolutely right about that too.. in everything, forever. Need know what you feel? Ask Terry. Need to know what you know? Ask Terry.

Reminds me of God's conversation with Job.. pretending to ask questions when in fact God was right about everything all the time.

Incredible. That's quite a gift you have there Terry. Humans must bore you so much

I'm glad you are laughing. We should enjoy life.

Correct me if I err, but didn't YOU say this about yourself on another thread?

GodZoo:
    I have an incredibly strong and accurate intuition sense that if I look back on I can not recall it ever being wrong.

Mister Pot, meet Mister Kettle :) Which of you is "black"? :)

Also, on a Discussion Group, we should leave room for other people to express their opinions.

After reading your posts, I'm wondering which of is willing to allow room for other people to express opinions without unnecessarily injecting animus, invective, pejoratives and Ad Hominem into it.

But still--thank you for sharing. It is good to have the Cons with the Pros.

_________

Go back and read my opening paragraph which ended:

"Anywaaaaaay . . .

I sound like a shill for Microsoft now and I am embarrassed.

As I run into problems, I'll post those too. But, I thought I'd start the topic so the lovers and haters have a place to vent " :smile:

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

Yes I did say something similar in another thread of yours because you did exactly the same thing there too. You ask a question pretending that it's an open discussion. Then you proceed to invalidate everyone's view, opinion or experience and then present your own to be the absolute and perfect truth on the matter. That's what JW's do at the door and in all their talks.. start with a question when they only real intention is to preach from their very closed and rigidly fixed pre-set perspective and as such it's really a complete waste of time to try to have any real conversation or attempt to impart anything to such people.

Love and hate are very strong words.

• Terry
    Terry

GodZoo: You ask a question pretending that it's an open discussion. Then you proceed to invalidate everyone's view, opinion or experience and then present your own to be the absolute and perfect truth on the matter.

I love to be given new information and better arguments because it means I'm learning, growing, broadening my scope of experience. I'm also very good at stating my opinion for the simple reason I am a writer and have command of the language.
    Is it barely possible that what you interpret as "invalidation" is merely rebuttal so effective you are left without further leverage in putting a contrary point across?

I don't know. I'm just proposing that as a possibility.

I appreciate your participation in any discussion I am a part of and don't see it as a "zero sum game" with only winners and losers.

It's just opinion. It isn't life or death.

• Terry
    Terry

UPDATE on my upgrade. . .

I'm now back with Windows 7.

I'm so accustomed to using it instinctively, I couldn't adjust to the new layout. Some of the steps were easier and some were more convoluted on 10.

But, the deciding factor was this: CHESS TITANS is not available on 10 and I can't live without it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

That's true Terry I miss it as well, gong to find another Chess game for PC ha ha

I think you'll return to Win 10, everyone will have to sooner and later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit