My Letter to the Elders in My Late Father's Congregation

by cruzanheart 106 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TR
    TR

Great letter, Nina!

JT is right ON with his points about your letter.

In most cases the hard core cheese cracker men will disregard it, even poo-poo it. BUT THE REAL MEN AND WOMEN WILL HAVE THEIR ASS KICKED BY THIS LETTER AND MAKE SOME CHANGES AND DO SOME RESEARCH. Then they will leave the WTS.

TR

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

cruzanheart, AMEN to your letter. that was well written and touched my heart. I am really sorry to hear about your father.

Wannaexit

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

You lurkers out there reading this beautiful letter should now understand why web sites like this one exist

and why 'apostates' like us seem so obsessed with wrecking the Watchtower Society.

Ditto.

When the occasional poster that claims that we need to "just let it go", they should be promptly directed to Nina's letter and this thread.

Even if it is only a minute comfort for you, perhaps someone you snail mailed may be touched by your letter enough to act upon it. This, hopefully, will benefit other lonely, forgotten, and marginalized JWs.

Andee

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hello Nina.

Such a sad letter. It brought memories and tears to me.

I have made copies and every church and news paper in this area will get a copy.

Your letter displays the general actions & reactions of the elders in situations like your fathers. A complete use of domination and exercise of authority, without any love or compassion or understanding of how ones situations and burdens can cause a small stumble in a lifetime of doing the will and bidding of the wbts. Especially if it Involves some one of stature and one who has the rank and file's respect.

Best wishes to you and your family. Please be aware that incidents like this can cause extreme stress on the emotional well being of your self and family. Pay attention to your feelings and take any needed steps for help if this occurs.

Outoftheorg

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

cruzanheart;

I'm sorry to hear about your father and how he was treated by the JW's. When I was an elder the treatment most likley would have been the same because of the arrogance that prevails among JW elders. Just as the WT teaches them, by example, they will feel a false sense of indignance at reading a letter such as yours. Although most here will fully understand that type of treatment is common among JW's it's difficult for outsiders to comprehend a religious organization could act so cold and uncarring. In a time of need they abandoned your father because of man made rules and a forced association upon percieved "strong ones" all others can fall by the wayside.

I can remember a WT magazine article along the lines of, Jehovah's Chariot, that was constantly on the move. If you were not following or keeping up it just kept on going and did not look back. I think if any had the misfortune of being in the way it would run them over and also not look back. So the teachings and foundation of the WT is callous to the core and is hardened further with any criticism. The harder they get the easier will they crack.

HCM

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Wow. Thank you all. I am humbled and awed by your opinions of my letter, and I hope some good will come out of it. I like the idea of sending the letter to local churches and I will follow through on that. All my letters went out today so I think I'll get my duct tape, sheet of plastic and bottled water and retreat to the closet for a few days! Honestly, though, what I really expect is MAYBE a few outraged phone calls and MAYBE an elder visit, but I'm not holding my breath.

For those of you who are concerned about me, I am seeing a therapist (appointment tomorrow) and trying to pry some kind of soothing medicine out of my regular doctor (appointment tomorrow). When I get stressed, my stomach acts up, so while I am eating it's not as much as I should. Oh well, I needed to lose a few pounds anyway, but this wasn't the way I wanted to do it! I called the doctor a couple of days after they found Dad's body because I wasn't sleeping and for the first time in my life asked for a tranquilizer. My doc was out of town so I saw his associate, who gave me the third degree. I think he calculated the number of Valium it would take to overdose, cut it in half, and I got five pills with orders to cut them in half. That got me through the funeral and the visit to the lawyer and the apartment clean-up, but now I'm out of Mother's Little Helper and I'd like to get something that will help my stomach.

I love you all. You are a wonderful support to me and I appreciate each and every one of you.

Love,

Nina

• Room 215
    Room 215

Wow... what a heart-wrenching letter; the ``window" it opens on the inner workings of the JW ``disciplinary" process is mind-numbing. God bless your dad's memory. Please update us here with any reactions to the ``cc's" you sent out to media and other parties; it would be fascinating to observe any fallout. And please don't despair for you are greatly loved.

• Makena1
    Makena1

(((Nina & Tex)))

Sabine and I are heartsick over the loss of your father. (I am sure I posted a reply when you first let us know about his death - but cannot find it now?!)

Your letter is compelling, inspiring and right to the point. I wish we had written a similar letter soon after our daughters suicide nearly 5 years ago, but despite the lack of love, lies, and insensitivity (not everyone, but most) we struggled another 2 years to rebuild our lives as active JW's. What a waste of time!

We had Osbeck as a temp CO a number of years ago = pompous a@#. There are no excuses for such callous behavior. When it appeared to the elder body that we were not making sufficient progress in overcoming our grief, anger etc, the PO told me that "I don't understand the anger". Also, "You had better get your wife under control brother". Finally, when we had had enough and decided to change congregations, the same PO said he thought that was best because, "They had done all they could for us, and although I don't usually recommend it, you should seek some professional counseling."

This same PO and congregation was involved in another suicide tragedy: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/30238/1.ashx

I am not trying to highjack this thread and make it about us. Just wanted to let you know that we understand. The passing of time helps a little - but the pain and anguish of what you are going through can come back fiercely and unexpectedly. If you would ever like to talk - please email us.

Love,

Mak and Sabine

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Of all the responses on this thread, the one that resonated the most with me is Metatron (although I love JT's suggestion of sending copies to the local churches). For the simple reason of a handful of WTBS apologists or those who haven't made their mind up having the unmitigated gall to sit in judgment and criticize this website. "Let it go" was the title a recent thread and for one of the rare times since I've been here I got angry on another thread because of this sort of attitude.

I work at night and I had lunch once or twice a week with Bill. I listened to his agony over his situation for months. (Let it go) I saw what was happening to him and how it hurt him. (Let it go) He told me I was the one person he could really talk to. I listened as he poured out his heart to me. (Let it go) I felt helpless as I watched him drown his pain in wine and drugs. (Let it go) I was watching a man die inch by inch every day and there wasn't a fucking thing I could do about it. (Let it go)

Let it go.

Yes, you Brooklyn monitors. Have you no sense of shame? You took a man who gave 50 years of his life to you and assasinated him. At long last, have you no sense of common human decency? You who do not speak up are just as guilty.

If I speak, I am condemned. If I stay silent, I am damned. -- Jean Valjean, Les Miserables

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

Hello Cruzanheart, so sorry for your pain. It brought tears to my eyes. I personally know of a family that went through a similar situation. Of course everyone involved that could have helped the situation were in denial of their contribution to the depressed state that this poor brother was in. All of us will answer one day for the good or for the bad way that we conduct ourselves. God be with you. Purheart

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit