My Letter to the Elders in My Late Father's Congregation

by cruzanheart 106 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• nilfun
    nilfun

Excellent letter - well written and deeply moving. Your love for your father really shines through and you have given voice to the grinding loneliness that he suffered due to the callousness of "the friends". Those elders counseled him because of a hug? Yes, shame on them.

Sending warm hugs your way....

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Cruzanheart,

A touching and compelling letter. I am truly sorry for you and your family, and above all for the grotesque treatment that your father received at the hands of men who were obviously not fit to clean his shoes. The results of WTS shunning policy are too bloodied to be washed clean, even in the waters of time. Your poor father was one of many victims killed by this disgusting policy. At a time when your father needed his friends, they were not to be found, and this after decades of 'Theocratic' service.

For any of you JW ‘lurkers’ reading this post who might be thinking, 'Yes, but we have only one side of this tale, we have yet to hear the elders and CO's side', let me tell you that I have held the hands of a number of widows and widowers over the years who grieved over the bodies of their shunned mates. I know both sides of the tale and nothing will rationalize away a tomb filled with persons like Christine's father.

Over four years ago a very senior member of an overseas Branch visited Brooklyn and took the opportunity to present his concerns regarding the shunning policy to the GB. The part of the policy that he objected to was the fact that a person who for example was baptized at sixteen, was disfellowshipped at seventeen and then went on to grow up, get married, have children and become a useful member of society was still viewed and treated as a disfellowshipped person until the day that they died. This would take place even if that person no longer viewed himself as a JW. As you know, as of this date no change in policy has taken place, due no doubt to fears of legal repercussions when people who have been disinherited and ignored by their families seek legal redress for their sufferings.

Think about it. There are JW's at a very senior level who are deeply disturbed about the way the WTS treats those it disciplines. Eventually as time progresses this policy WILL change and modify itself to jigsaw with legal requirements and the natural progress of social and theological evolution. How will you feel then?

Personally, I am ashamed that I was ever a part of such a system, let alone that I once supported it.

A hopping mad - HS

HS

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Thank you! The day I wrote the letter I just ached all over. It was a gut-wrenching experience but one I felt I HAD to do. I want to dump this garbage where it belongs, back on the heads of the people who ignored him and made him feel that his years of faithful service were nothing. In addition to the media, I think they'll be pretty steamed about the R&F getting copies of the letter too. I'll be sending out about 50 tomorrow by snail mail.

I will also be interested to see if the elders from the congregation where my publisher card is will bother to come over. After I aggravated my book study conductor in the congregation I was in when I left for good, Big Tex thought it might be prudent to move our cards to a less, um, interested congregation. So I did. Moved them to Allen, where I was for about four years a while back. The elder body could barely, if ever, remember my name, and did not visit me even once in four years, so I felt safe. So far it's been blissfully quiet. An elder called a couple of times to get my time but with Caller ID I didn't answer the phone or return the calls, he gave up obviously, and I haven't heard from anybody except an old girlfriend in months. No one called even after my father died except that one friend. I deliberately did not mention the Allen congregation in my letter, figuring that if they were that hot to get me in trouble with my elders they can jolly well do their own detective work about which congregation I'm supposed to be in.

Thank you all for the strength you've given me, especially Big Tex, my rock.

Nina

• blondie
    blondie

Great letter, Nina. It mirrors many points I have hammered into many an elder about helping others. Very to the point, logical but with real feeling. Some elders will squirm at first but then consider the source as less spiritual than them, a woman, and not qualified to correct them. Some people in the congregation will nod their heads in agreement but do nothing, but some will see this as the final straw and may start leaving mentally if not literally.

Lack of love is the reason I have left. I have many past and current events to look to for proof. And if I had stayed, there would be even more.

Actions speak louder than words.

Blondie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    a very senior member of an overseas Branch visited Brooklyn and took the opportunity to present his concerns regarding the shunning policy to the GB

HS:

Such a man would be facing internal torment, don't you think? Could it be a "Crisis of Conscience" in the making? Time will tell.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Angharad
    Angharad

Great letter Nina

Its amazes me over and over the total lack of love and callousness people like those you mentioned are capable of showing the ones they are supposed to be helping .

(((((Nina & Tex)))))

• outnfree
    outnfree

(((((Nina)))))

You ROCK, sweetie!

Such a sad, sad tale. I am glad that you are 'putting the blame where it squarely belongs!' (And your scripture use -- I actually looked up the citations ;) -- was telling.)

Might I suggest that you send the letters to the elders off a day later than those to everyone else, including the media? Let the gossip mill begin before the elders even have a chance to deal with their culpability. You might want to visit the KH at noon when the pioneers are eating lunch and leave copies pinned to the information board for those elders whose personal addresses are unknown to you.

Also, if you do care about things remaining quiet at your present congregation, perhaps you shouldn't name it freely here on the board. You might want to xxx out your full name, too, if you even care...

In loving admiration,

Brenda

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

Nice job! Very well written. They can't help but at least feel a twinge.

Super idea to cc the congregation. You have planted many seeds here today, if this helps but one person leave you will have done a great thing. May Apollos water well for you.

Hugs, V

• Scully
    Scully

{{{{{{{{{{ Nina & Chris }}}}}}}}}}}}

Thanks for sharing that powerful, heartfelt letter. Every JW who reads it ought to be moved to shame over the way they treated your father.

When we first left the JWs, I wrote a similar letter to our former congregation, but never sent it. At that time, it was for me and me alone because I knew in my heart that they did not care, but I needed to put my thoughts into words to remind me of how horribly I was treated. That letter helped me through many lonely times when I considered going back to the bOrg.

Your father would be very proud of the way you are standing up for him. I know I am.

Love, Scully

• greven
    greven

(((((((Nina & Chris ))))))))

One word: WOW! This has to be one of the best letters I have read so far!

My sincere condolances.

Greven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit