What is the most strange action of a witness while out in field service?

by adjusted knowledge 62 Replies latest jw friends

• nancy drew
    nancy drew
    Looking back at it now I realize the whole experience was crazy. It was just full of bizarre tales naked people, dangerous animals, hoarders with houses full of cockroaches not to mention all the weird JW's and their quirky ways. i remember riding around all day looking for elusive return visits that hadn't been home in years. Coffee, ice cream,spring rolls and chicken breaks.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

dhlpcjw - "...he explained that he had been 'enlightened' by the householder..."

Oh, is that what the kids are calling it, these days?

Not judging, BTW...

...I met one or two householders I wouldn't have minded being "enlightened" by... :smirk:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I don't know about strange things, but one of the meaner things I saw was a car group "captain" sending JW school-age kids to knock on their classmates' doors.
  • Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble
    We had one sister tell an experience of her making a return visit at 05:30 AM to make sure the householder was at home, as she had not been able to get hold of him for quite a while. You can't make this up.
  • Alive!
    Alive!

'Looking back at it now I realize the whole experience was crazy. It was just full of bizarre tales naked people, dangerous animals, hoarders with houses full of cockroaches not to mention all the weird JW's and their quirky ways. i remember riding around all day looking for elusive return visits that hadn't been home in years. Coffee, ice cream,spring rolls and chicken breaks.'

Nancy Drew - this made me smile from head to toe and shake my head in wonder!!

It must be the same the world over.

I remember cringing on some RVs where certain sisters would say 'lets go visit so and so' - if the poor HH was at home, they'd be subjected to all sorts of nonsense small talk as the sister gabbled on - the HH unable to get a word in edge ways - and then finally presented with the latest awake article on growing lettuce indoors ( with a WT on Armageddon tucked inside and obscured) "I'm sure you'll find this interesting - I know I did" referring to the lettuce or whatever article, carefully covering the scary Armageddon pic on the WT mag!

I know the sisters meant well - but a life saving work??

• stillin
    stillin

I spent quite a lot of my time auxiliary pioneering along with an odd brother who was a regular pioneer and an elder. This was during a period of time when there were a series of child-murders in Atlanta. Every day there were headlines and clues that the police were working and this was a common topic for discussion with householders and all over the community.

this brother proceeds to relate to a homeowner how many of the clues fitted himself, his vehicle, his regular trips to Atlanta. God! SHUT UP, brother!!! Totally uncomfortable.

• apostrate
    apostrate

One of my earliest recollections of going out in field service. North Hollywood, CA, 1965. I was 11 years old and I was tagging along with my mom who was tagging along with Sister Alice, the woman who brought my mother into the "Truth".

It had been a morning of the typical knocking on doors, people either being not-at-home or just plain not-interested. We were about to call it a day when we knocked on the door of a man who was very eager to talk religion! But he was the victor in this conversation, and he was very keen on sharing with us his "proof" of what he had to say.

He told us that Jesus had given up on the planet Earth and was now concentrating his efforts on the planet Mars. After talking on the porch for a few minutes, he invited us in his house to listen to a tape recording of the ruler of Mars giving a speech to Earthlings. (As others on this site have previously stated, you just can't make this kind of shit up!!!)

To the best of my memory, his house just looked like a typical old man's house, complete with the typical old man smell. But he had this huge reel-to-reel tape recorder, and he put the tape into place and began to play it to us. It had weird background music on it while somebody gave a speech about life on Mars.

This was a long time ago. I can't remember exactly what was said on the tape recorder except that people on Mars could live forever, but typically they would get bored with living after a few hundred years and would willingly go into chambers and kill themselves. (Kinda the same feeling I have now thinking about living forever in a world with Jehovahs Witnesses, except my boredom would set in long before a few hundred years!)

Well, we left after listening to this old man's tape, and I remember Sister Alice saying to my mom, "You don't think any of that is true do you???"

"Oh, c'mon now Alice! You know it's not true! He probably worked for one of the movie studios and got that tape from the set of Star Trek or Twilight Zone!"

Of course, now that I am grown and know The Truth About The Truth, I lie awake at night wondering if I hadn't passed up my only opportunity at eternal life on the Planet Mars????

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ apostrate...

• apostrate
    apostrate

Vidiot,

Yeah, like Jesus, I've pretty much given up on planet Earth, too. If Trump becomes our next president, I'm definitely getting on board that shuttle bus to Mars!!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Save me a seat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit