Remember the Wife of Lot

by Addison0998 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TD
    TD

...has anyone ever considered that if the story was even true, she turned around because there was probably a city exploding and raining fire behind her and it was just a normal human instinct to turn around maybe to make sure she wasn’t about to be blown to pieces?!

LOL - That made my day. I'd pay money to hear someone ask such a common sense question.

The wife of Lot exists in all three of the Abrahamic faiths (Christianity, Judaism & Islam) and is therefore almost certainly a folk legend that sprung up around a geological feature (i.e A salt formation looking vaguely like a woman.)

That JW's take this stuff literally is comparable to adults believing Paul Bunyan and Babe, the blue ox where real.

• sir82
    sir82

That JW's take this stuff literally is comparable to adults believing Paul Bunyan and Babe, the blue ox were real.

I've always thought that JWs taking everything Biblical as so gut-wrenchingly literal and unadulterated word for word history, it would be much like if, 3000 years from now, a future archaeologist finds a working DVD player and a disk of the Marx Bros. "Duck Soup". But instead of figuring out it was comedy fiction, they treated it as a documentary on 20th century politics, and entire encyclopedias were written about the reign of Rufus T. Firefly.

• Spiral
    Spiral

I agree with everything above. And, why does Lot's story appear in the Bible? Even as a child, I didn't think he was a particularly smart or moral guy. But wait - by the standards of several thousand years ago, apparently he was. But that just goes to show you how the Bible is dated and shouldn't be taken seriously.

As for whoever it is that writes this at Bethel, clearly they (and their masters) are so out of touch they don't realize you can't get a good accounting job without a degree. I know several JWs who are accountants (and software engineers, etc.) but they all had to go to school as adults while working full time, to catch up and keep up with their profession. Just like I did, just like Mr. Spiral did.

I'd be willing to bet that the GB doesn't even realize that's how it works in the real world.

But I can't understand why JWs (especially in my age group) would follow their arcane and outdated rules when you can clearly see just out out of it they are just by watching this video.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    The WTS does no address why Lot offered his 2 daughters to the crowd to be raped.
    lol...what a fair God. A father gives his 2 daughters to a crowd of rapists, and nothing happens to him.
    A woman is running from a city and turns back to see what's happening, and get zapped into salt.
    truly a loving GAWD.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''That JW's take this stuff literally is comparable to adults believing Paul Bunyan and Babe, the blue ox where real.''

That's because they make it up as they go along, to fit their own doctrines.

• steve2
    steve2

The video's modern storyline is little more than a disturbing piece of jolting propaganda.

For example, the JW daughter brings her non-Witness friends home and lo! who other than her JW parents are home! Uh-oh! Her JW father wastes no time in preaching to them and he grills the nonWitness who "boasts" she has two mothers. He puts her "straight" (no pun intended) and preaches to her about Bible standards - yet he does not make any inquiries or comments about the parents of the other two nonWitnesses (Were their parents legally married? If not, why wouldn't he say that they are committing fornication, etc?)

What a nerve for him to poke his nose in and condemn her parents! How breathtakingly disrespectful to talk to a visitor this way. Whatever his beliefs on marriage, the two women are her legal parents. What is she supposed to do with JW's stand on marriage? Go home to her two Moms and say, "Sorry, but you are disapproved in God's and JWs' eyes - you need to stop living together and separate and I will then notify the JWs that you are no longer commiting an abomination."

Unbelievably off-putting even for those who may not approve of gay marriage.

It is yet another instance in which JW organization talks about but not actually directly to gays and lesbians.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

She almost certsinly would have turned around because her family, friends and neighbours, people she cared about, were about to die a horrible painful death......

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    for whoever it is that writes this at Bethel, clearly they (and their masters) are so out of touch they don't realize you can't get a good accounting job without a degree. I know several JWs who are accountants (and software engineers, etc.) but they all had to go to school as adults while working full time, to catch up and keep up with their profession. Just like I did, just like Mr. Spiral did.

In a recent interveiw in a welsh newspaper about this years convention, the dubs made sure they interveiwed two educated jws with good jobs - a design engineer and an NHS administrator......but the first was a new convert and the second, though born-in, didnt become a jw till 30. So both had an education but only because they were not dubs at the time!

They are such hippocrites! They advertise their middle class jws to the world and their dramas always feature well off famillies with a dad that is able to support not just his wife but his whole pioneer family. How in heck do they think that happens? Not on an unskilled single wage, thats for sure!!

Deep down they are so materialistic and superficial!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''Deep down they are so materialistic and superficial!''

Look at the way they live. You always tell what people think, not by their words, it is by their actions. They always say one thing and do the other. Very obvious in Dubland.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The true story folks. Lot told his wife, "dear take a look to see if any of those A-holes are following us".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit