What's the craziest thing someone INFORMED on you about?

by Londo111 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Londo111
    Londo111

The culture of JWs as encouraged by the Watchtower is one of informing on one another, reporting to either the elders or one’s “designated head”.

What’s the wackiest thing that someone reported on you? I’m not talking about a black-and-white Watchtower rule that would land you in a judicial committee, but some judgmental nonsense that someone thought they should turn you in about?

I remember how I had the CD called Switched on Bach. It is Bach’s music played on an early Moog synthesizer. Can you think of anything more “clean and wholesome”? I let a couple (an elder and his pioneer wife) in my congregation borrow it. Unfortunately, I mentioned the musician playing the Moog, Wendy Carlos, used to be Walter Carlos. They decided to report this matter of concern to my parents.

Another time, I went on a date, chaperoned by my friend and my date’s friend. I was 29, living on my own. This was playing by JW rules 100%. An elder and his wife saw us and still decided to report the matter to my parents.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I always kept my nose pretty clean (read: my childhood was rather dull) so I never got reported on that I know of. Though I did recently hear a first-hand account from a couple in their 30s of being informed on for going to see the movie twilight. Their elders put together a local needs part about movies and spent much of the time specifically talking about twilight (without saying the name of the movie in an apparent attempt to avoid making pharisiacal rules).
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Lol somebody informed on me that i took my 12 year old son to see the last star wars movie. It was rated pg-13.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

When I was younger and in shape, I used to be pretty good at football (i.e. soccer). We JWs used to have a kick around at the local park in summer, together with a picnic. All well and good.

However, from the time I was 15 or 16, I was good enough to play football with the brothers that used to organise serious 11-a-sides. We'd play different teams of brothers across the South East. Pitches and worldly referees would be hired. The standard was pretty good - it wasn't far off semi-professional.

Of course, I got counselled by one of the elders in my hall. He didn't say too much, other than it was too competitive and we shouldn't have a competitive spirit amongst ourselves, get-togethers should be up-building, etc. Well, I found out a week later that his son wanted to be on our team but wasn't thought good enough (the son likely informed on me). So, I chose to ignore the elder's advice and continue playing.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Morpheus,

Was this the Star Wars prequels? If I can find out what congregation you are in, I might have to inform on you about the matter myself since you subjected your son to such a monstrosity of a movie! :)

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

Years ago an eldurrs punk kid wanted to borrow a cowboy hat from me for something or another. He came over after a midweek meeting, and when I answered the door I didn't have a shirt on. My future wife (now ex) was there and he turned me in for being "naked".

He had the reputation in the local high school of being a practicing drunk, drug abuser, and serial fornicator. But he was an eldurrs son so it was all good!

When the eldurrs "talked" to me about my inappropriate dress in front of a woman they also brought up that my vehicle had been seen late at night in front of a nightclub and that I should park a few blocks away so as not to "stumble" anyone.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

That I know of, no one ever reported on me, but as an elder, I had many-many report to me some of the most petty things you can think of, like;

"Sister hot, young, and pretty bought a bubble dress, that's not good for the young brothers"

Brother young is getting to muscular, he is spending to much time in the Gym and not enough time in field services."

"Sister divorced is saying "Hi" to much to brother single, we sisters feel she is dwelling on the flesh too much."

"Brother and sister-about to get married- are holding hands during the song, if someone doesn't do something, they are going to commit fornication"

I could go on but you get the drift.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

😂😂😂😂 yes it was the last one, revenge of the sith. I should have been df'd for taking to phantom menace

@john- dear Thor i cant even think about all the stupidity that people brought to me as an elder... I am SO damn glad to be out that!!!!

• Londo111
    Londo111

Before the prequels disgraced cinemas everywhere, they were promoting Star Wars, showing the original trilogy in movie theaters with new special effects.

Sam Herd was then the DO and was “serving” our congregation, we were the host congregation I think, and he brought up Star Wars. He said he couldn’t recommend the movie because it “promoted war”, but then went on to talk about the voice of Darth Vader, James Earl Jones. I forgot what his point was.

My mother went up to him after the meeting and asked him if he wanted to go see Star Wars with her. LOL.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    where does sam Herd get that god-awful nasally accent?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit