Lurker trying to gain clarity

by questioningmyfaith 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Half banana
    Half banana

Questioningmyfaith, a warm welcome to the site and thanks for posting. The fact that you have come here and explained your situation shows that unlike most JWs, you are prepared to think for yourself, a very good quality!

As one who experiences shunning and worse from my JW family, I think that the JW religion has proved in my case to have caused more pain and suffering than any other thing in my life. That might be just my private misfortune but I’m sure I’m not alone. However since leaving the org, my life, freedom and happiness has improved immensely. In my case it has come about by finding out how the world works and by a sceptical analysis of things.

Doc has already said that he felt like you at your stage in waking up...we understand here! The notion that not all is well in JW land is usually very confusing and unsettling. You are justified in objecting to the criticism of the brothers, most of them are decent people... after all we are talking about ourselves!

The missing link which is never alluded to in its raw state is that the JW world can only exist because of its ruthless power structure. It is autocratic, it is authoritarian, it uses the emotions and stories found in the Bible as tools to control its subservient followers. The gospel now appears to be the Watchtower itself and the mediators between men and God are the GB... Any lie as Hitler knew, can be made to stick if it is repeated enough.

The innocent believers are god-fearing and often with poor education; they enjoy being led and especially with the prospect of paradise ahead. (Funny how the paradise carrot is attached ever ahead of the WT donkey as it moves forward in an attempt to reach it)... The WTBTS power play may not be the picture you have seen or imagined regarding the GB but believe me, if you left the org it would become starkly apparent and then you would understand the reason for the animosity held amongst many ex-JWs. We were lied to. Can you trust people who lie to you?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Why do humans seem to be so unable to rule themselves.

another questions of yours I think you should think deeply about. Religion is a form of flawed (and very violent) human rulership, that just doesn't work. The first person or group of persons to say 'My God says" started something very dangerous. entitlement from their mythological deity of choice to act as they please.

So you question seems to excuse or imply an idea that JW's could have the truth because in your opinion they are able to rule themselves. But they are just another religion. You believe they effectively rule themselves. Well someone out there feels the same way you do about Scientology. Also about North Korea. That within their own system, they have it right.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I can't add anything to this thread that other posters haven't already (except to say that I can't add anything).

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

@questioningmyfaith - Even if you don't feel like posting now, this thread might help you think..

www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/269000/pastor-my-old-church-tried-re-convert-me-yesterday

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    "If there is no god, is there hope for mankind"

I know this is nearly two years old, but the reasoning in it is sound:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100251972/snap-out-of-it-life-keeps-getting-better/

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

QMF, you should "question" an organization that tells a fellow Elder, who is literally questioning the very fundamentals of the religion, to continue "sheparding", "protecting", "leading", "preaching to", "caring for", and "helping", the "flock".

How could those men, in good conscience, tell you to continue to be an Elder, if you are questioning it. It truly shows the hypocrisy that exists in the WT. Elders are supposedly appointed to protect and care for the flock, but if those Elders TRULY cared for that flock that they claim to protect, they would NEVER allow you, someone who is even questioning the existance of their God, to continue to care for the sheep.

Instead, the "chance" of losing another company policeman, out weighs the protecting of their flock.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hello QMF. Welcome to the start of your journey. You'll surprise yourself too. I hope you come back to the forum. If you want to PM me feel free. I was a born-in. Left when I was 50. The overlapping generations(tm) was the final straw.

Leaving cost me my family and friends. But at least I'm being true to myself and not those who only loved me conditionally.

I'm not going to answer your questions as you will find your own answers. There are plenty of answers out there.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    Because quite frankly, even if the GB are a bunch of narcissistic wannabe powerful guys, imho, the worst thing they have done is wake up people on saturday mornings.

@questioningmyfaith

This is an interesting thought.

Please see my post on this thread, if you are interested in the views of others:

www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/470790004/how-wonderful-jw-org#/469960005

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

questioningmyfaith - "...the worst thing they have done is wake up people on saturday mornings."

Stick around for a bit.

You might learn a thing or two.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    I just want to mention too that my lack of disdain towards the WT will never change.

That statement is disturbing. It says to me that no amount of facts can change your mind. An honest person who values truth and bases his viewpoint on facts, will humbly change his mind on an issue if he receives new evidence that disprove his prior viewpoint.

An honest-hearted lover of truth would never make such a statement as you made. Yours is the kind of statement that a blindly loyal supporter of a political party or sports team, makes. It seems like you have a blind, tribalistic loyalty to WT and you proudly refuse to let any facts get in the way of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit