Are the J.W's reaching a "Tipping point"?

by karter 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Crazyguy...

Personally, I think the WTS - after they've finished consolidating and whatnot - could get by with that 10-or-so percent.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

If a mass exodus take place I would become a believer again, I be damn there

is a GOD.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Young ones leaving in droves, thousands of JWs like myself that learned TTATT and are there in pure name only, lots of old ones dying off.

Definitely an 'evolving' point for this organization.

SL

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I can't help but wonder if Cedars was deliberately mimicing the Cracked list-style format when he wrote that.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

People are still people, their methods haven't changed, they have made some good decisions from a corporate perspective as well. I think they are here to stay people.

I don't think even a mass exodus would extinguish them. Just looking back at their history, the 1925 debacle would have made any sane person walk away. David and the other ancient worthies being resurrected to life? It didn't happen and the the nucleus that remained got more powerful and more out of the mainstream.

For some people, they have sacrificed so much and being a JW is so much of their identity that they can't leave even if they wanted to. And if they were kicked out they would do all they could to get back to "mother." Having a large membership helped them distribute a large amount of literature which helped generate income for them for a very long time. Since that model is broken and things are available online, their costs can be greatly reduced and they can survive with much fewer adherents, even if the adherents are less educated and less financially stable.

• steve2
    steve2

You won't see a literal mass exodus. You'll more likely see more of what is in evidence now: An ever growing pool of largely passive membership (with reduced input in the field, meetings, conventions etc).

Even in troubled marriages, spouses choose to remain because what else is there? Most problems remain unsolved because of a failure of courage and imagination over how one's everyday life could be improved.

Sometimes the disappointing sh*t you know is more bearable than leaving it behind and not being able to cope with the new sh*t.

Life is hard. Religion simultaneously drives you crazy AND consoles. It's a powerful drug. Adults are as drawn to "happy ever after" as children. And lots of JWs are hanging out to pat the lion and frolic with lambs and run through the gently-breezed grass with colorful butterflies floating overhead. Hell, even I feel like having that some days!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Steve2 - "Hell, even I feel like having that some days!"

Been watching a bit too much Friendship is Magic, have we? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Amazon review of Malcolm Gladwell's book Tipping Point has this : " In this brilliant and original book, Malcolm Gladwell explains and analyses the 'tipping point', that magic moment when ideas, trends and social behaviour cross a threshold, tip and spread like wildfire. Taking a look behind the surface of many familiar occurrences in our everyday world, Gladwell explains the fascinating social dynamics that cause rapid change."

I think the JW Org has passed that Point, too many little things have happened in last few years that add up to pushing them over the Apex. And that means a good number have woken up.

This will not result in their rapid demise, or even a dramatic fall in numbers, but they will shrivel and decline over the next few decades. They were considered to be one of the Major Cults some decades ago, I doubt they will be in 20 years time, their brand of Lunacy is getting harder and harder to sell.

• freddo
    freddo

Bearing in mind that it is only seven or eight years since the book study dropped the attendances are pathetic compared with then.

Attendances that were 90% + of congregation publisher numbers three times a week are now 75% twice a week.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    Just like a black hole will eventually evaporate so too the WT Corporation but it won't take billions of years. Their survival tactics have a deluded end of the world strategy that will never materialize in time to save them from extinction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit