Are the J.W's reaching a "Tipping point"?

by karter 53 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

new light - sisters to be made elders:

1. fill the gaps caused by lack of qualified brothers
    2. kill the child abuse reporting problem flagged by the RC
    3. pep up the faithful with a new look progressive mainstreamy feel

3 birds with 1 stone - too good to miss?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I feel 2014-2015 was their apex. I believe starting in 14 a lot woke up. And a lot more are showing signs of disatusfaction. But because it's a cult and "captive" religion, the tipping could be slow because so many inside that have mind that can wake up, may believe it's only them and fear not being a witnesses.
  • Bugbear
    Bugbear

I believe that over 50% of the members of the cong. are aware of TTATT. They stay quite and vote with their wallets. This just to keep their only friends. They have nowere else to go to and doest dare to speak about it.

Bugbear

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I feel 2014-2015 was their apex. I believe starting in 14 a lot woke up. And a lot more are showing signs of disatusfaction. But because it's a cult and "captive" religion, the tipping could be slow because so many inside that have mind that can wake up, may believe it's only them and fear not being a witnesses.

I agree. Though it might be significant that the two people saying this woke up in 2014.

It seems a lot of the noobs here cite the overlapping generation nonsense as their last straw, and I think putting that out at the beginning of 2014 was a big mistake - I think they wanted to "get in front" of the disappointment of 2014 coming and going uneventfully, but it seems that a lot of people sorta saw it as an acknowledgement that their false prophecies had failed in a significant way and that nothing would happen that year either. Now that everything is settling back into the normal routine after all the hype of 2014 I think a lot of people are going to start looking around and asking questions.

Even without that, the OP seems to do a good job of describing the general state of the congregations around here as well. The "good" elders are getting old. There's a lot of "murmuring" about the new appointees - most are at least 4 out of 5: young and inexperienced, petty, self-righteous, rude, or downright stupid. In my former congregation, they hadn't even lost that many of the older elders yet and they're already getting this desperate. In the next 5-10 years all but maybe 2 elders from that congregation that are worth anything will be either dead or severely limited due to age, and they've already scraping the bottom of the barrel for replacements. This isn't going anywhere good - the intelligent ones from the last generation are dying off and their replacements are idiots that rely only on blind obedience. Anyone in the next generation that has any sense will surely be pushed out.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

All this...

...and yet we still have individuals who insist that the WTS will still be going strong a hundred years from now...

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    and yet we still have individuals who insist that the WTS will still be going strong a hundred years from now

I suspect it'll still be here, it just won't look like it does today. Which given the history of the cult, is not a very bold prediction to make.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I think it would be nice to think that, and certainly more people than ever are thinking.....but no. I don't think they are at a real tipping point.

People are still people, their methods haven't changed, they have made some good decisions from a corporate perspective as well.

I think they are here to stay people. No mass exodus will be had.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

problemaddict 2 - "No mass exodus will be had."

Doesn't need to be.

There's more than one kind of exodus, after all.

Steady hemorrhaging of otherwise useful and vital members (fractions?) would count, IMO.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    The last few meetings I went to I was surprised at how many at meeting didn't have their watchtower studied. They may still be in but the apathy is huge. Only down side is their is always 10% of the congregation that are truly zealous idiots and let's not forget the young ones who are not taught about the past so they are doomed to repeat what their parents did.
  • karter
    karter
    I have been to;d 80% of the work in the congro is done by 20% of the people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit