The Left And Islam

by Bangalore 73 Replies latest social current

• bohm
    bohm

love uni: you MUST serve in our army

This is according to Talesin's close friend, the Canadian-Jew ..

well, according to this article from last year the exemption remains:

Ultra-Orthodox Celebrate Rollback of Israel Draft Law

http://forward.com/news/israel/307624/orthodox-draft-laws/

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    How can they openly support and defend letting millions of people from a religious background that HATES HATES HATES our sexual preferences into our country and expect them to fit right in nice and cozy?
    - Macys

Opposed to the millions of Christians already living here that hate homosexuals because of their religious backgrounds?

There's a profound difference between hating particular ideologies within a religion vs. hating all the people of that religion.

And there's a huge difference between pointing out some of the challenges of cultural integration vs. just simply implying that Muslims could never integrate. I really feel it does a great disservice to this much needed dialog when we exercise the soft bigotry of low expectations.

As a liberal, I believe that people have the fundamental right to practice the religion of their choice so long as they're not infringing on anyone else's rights. This is a value that has been effectively taught to - and practiced by - people from every background and culture who've migrated to the West. And in the specific cases where we do see individuals trespassing upon the rights of others we deal with those specific individuals. But, what we DON'T do, is just write off 1.6 Billion people for no reason other than the cultural and religious label they attach to themselves.

Islam is not a monolith. And there's no reason why with the right educational tools and a little tolerance we can't bring hundreds of millions of Muslims into the twenty first century.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good post, Coded Logic.

There's a profound difference between hating particular ideologies within a religion vs. hating all the people of that religion - you've made an important distinction. Nick Cohen touches on this in his latest article for Standpoint - 'Anti-Muslim bigotry must be fought, as must the denial on the Right that anti-Muslim bigotry even exists. If contemporary culture just asked us to fight it, I would not have a difficulty. Instead, it asks us to bite our tongues and mute our criticism of religious belief or risk being accused of Islamophobia' (http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/6361/full).

people have the fundamental right to practice the religion of their choice so long as they're not infringing on anyone else's rights - good point. Agree 100%.

there's no reason why with the right educational tools and a little tolerance we can't bring hundreds of millions of Muslims into the twenty first century - it will take some planning and perhaps a lot of effort but this is the only realistic option as religion is so ingrained within billions of people that banning religions would be unachievable, IMO.

I like your optimism.

• prologos
    prologos
    There is a difference between bringing them into the 21st century and bringing them in by the millions, unreformed, into your country. The lessons of Cologne, Rotherham.
  • barry
    barry

Islam does infringe on our rights right now. What newspaper anywhere in the world will publish a cartoon of their Islamic prophet ?

The Islamists have their law and they have their punishment and it will be enforced on you where ever you are.

There is no Islam light or moderate Islam. There are only moderate muslims or those that are not practicing.

• kaik
    kaik

Prologos & macys. What I have find extremely disturbing is the government push to suppress the news and if this become an outcry, the elected officials blames victims: cologne mayor. This issue will not go away and there is already as information from Austria, Germany, Sweden, Finland, and Netherlands became a public knowledge globally. What everyone will see that the state is weak and someone will be routed out at the election.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

barry:

Islam does infringe on our rights right now. What newspaper anywhere in the world will publish a cartoon of their Islamic prophet ?

And what newspaper anywhere in the world will publish a cartoon of Jesus and Charlie Hebdo french kissing each other?

• Simple Minds
    Simple Minds

A perplexing question, why is the left defending Islamist’s, that by any definition are religious fascist with extreme views on homosexuality, women’s rights, and other related issues

I suspect the answer, lies in the fact that Islamist’s exhibit a pathological anti-Americanism and anti Israel worldview that is quite attractive to a certain type of anti-establishment progressive. your enemy is my enemy mentality
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

what newspaper anywhere in the world will publish a cartoon of Jesus and Charlie Hebdo french kissing each other? - as you know, Jesus has been mocked in the West for decades.

The Life of Brian came out in 1979.

Piss Christ was a 1987 photograph by the American artist Andres Serrano. It was a photo of a crucifix in a glass of the artist's urine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ).

Jerry Springer: The Opera was performed in the UK from 2003-06.

How many Western artists have touched Islam, Qur'an or Muhammad?

The mainstream media claim to be big on freedom of expression whilst refusing to publish pictures - even decent, respectable pictures - of Muhammad, thereby accepting 7th century Islamic blasphemy laws that have been thrust upon us. I find their double standards nauseating. This was especially apparent immediately after the Charlie Hebdo massacre. In an amazing act of cowardice, the entire British mainstream media refused to show solidarity with Charlie Hebdo by not printing the CH front cover.

I could on but don't really feel the need to ...

• kaik
    kaik

It is obvious that Germany is not handling situation well and is heading to disaster. Now when people are demonstrating, the liberal German government decided to use water cannons against its tax paying citizens. Where were the police on 12/31 - 1/1 when hundreds of German women were molested. German democracy in action:

Something like this did communists in the 1967-1969 in Czechoslovakia, and when this did not work, they were using tanks and sharp ammo. In 1988-1989 I was hosed by water cannon in downtown of Prague. It is the end of Merkel's multi-culti Germany? Is this what people want? Civil disobedience and riots? Was it worth it to bring 1 million illegals into that country? Where are these apologists from last summer and fall who said that Germany is handling the situation nicely and all these refugees are so great. I do not see them posting on it anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit