Just read that Carl Olof Jonsson died yesterday

by slimboyfat 362 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scholar
    scholar

Chevelle

You remind me of this scholarly and convincing engineer...

---

Well said for you have made the said scholar's day but I have always tried to simplify matters for that is what makes WT Chronology authentic- its simplicity unlike COJ's useless thesis which is a 'dead end' -going nowhere!!

scholar JW.

• scholar
    scholar

Vanderhoven 7

Assumption 1: Nebuchadnezzar’s dream from Daniel chapter 4 has a fulfillment beyond his day.

The book of Daniel makes no mention whatsoever of any fulfillment beyond his day. There is no indication that what happened to Nebuchadnezzar is some type of prophetic drama or minor fulfillment to a major future antitype.

---

Bunkum. One only has to read Daniel 4 and can easily see that the theme or purpose of the tree vision by Neb was to prove to him the reality of not only the present Kingdom of God as a reality in the form of the Judean Monarchy but its future fulfilment. The entire narrative is about God's Kingdom as a reality and its figurative application is shown by the terms that are used such as the Aramaic word for 'times' which has both a literal and figurative meaning according to the lexica.

Further, the entire book of Daniel along with the rest of the OT has as its major theme to wit -God's Kingdom. I refer you to An Old Testament Theology by Bruce K. Waltke, 2007, Zondervan for starters.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Vanderhoven 7

Assumption 2: The seven times of the dream are meant to represent 360 day years each.

When this formula applies elsewhere in the Bible, the year-for-a-day ratio is explicitly stated or clearly implied. Here we are assuming that it applies.

-=

Correct. The 'seven times' in its literal application are considered to represent seven literal years for Neb's reign whereby he vacated the throne. The lexical meaning of the Aramaic iddan or iddanim has a figurative meaning thus the use of this word along with its equivalent word in Greek kairoi is used by the Apostle John in his Revelation illuminates its meaning for expositors in terms of 'prophetic' days and years interpreted to be of 360 days or years. Thus, the Bible itself provides a solid basis for this interpretation long held by commentators over the centuries.

scholar JW

• Sanchy
    Sanchy
    "One only has to read Daniel 4 and can easily see that the theme or purpose of the tree vision by Neb was to prove to him the reality of not only the present Kingdom of God as a reality in the form of the Judean Monarchy but its future fulfilment

Sorry, not good enough. I've read Daniel 4 many times and see no evidence to believe your theory of a 2nd "future fulfillment".

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

I think Scholar and Fisherman could have convinced me if they had added another 250,000 words to their arguments. "Me likes many words!"

There was a time when my BP would rise over this argument, as I long believed in 586/587. And trust me, that was tough in my position. When we reached 70 years from 1914, I thought WTC might conveniently change it to 587 to get an extra 20 years out of the scheme. But they were more clever than I. They added the ingenious apparatus of an overlapping generation and now anything is possible.

Seriously though, now that we are 109 years (that's 763 dog years) from 1914, I have decided to send Sanchy a new car for turning the whole arument on it's ear. YOU ROCK SANCHY!!

Let me say also that WTC does not impress me with how they can train others to support a false narrative. BUT... if they can train a chihuahua to answer the phone in a call center, I will send them a new car too!

RIP Carl. You deserved better than what you got.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    The honest thing to do would have been to move 1914 forward one year to 1915 (is that right?) but that would have spoiled the coincidence of World War One beginning on their favoured date. Does scholar have an answer for that one?

Slim I thought they did do that originally? Was it Russell? Someone had the date as 1915...then it was moved to 1914 because of the war?

If they moved the date to 607 I'm sure they know it's utter rubbish. If they initially believed Jerusalem fell in 606, well...it fell in 606. The logical thing to do when you find out about the zero is to move the prophetic year to 1915. Surely that's the more flexible date?!

Talking of prophetic dates, David Aspinall's video is very interesting here.

https://youtu.be/_jdrBEgTLp4

• Chevelle
    Chevelle

Scholar

You obviously know nothing about cars. Otherwise, you would have quickly realized the video was a parody. That's exactly what you are... a parody.

or "a joke" if you prefer.

• scholar
    scholar

Sanchy

Sorry, not good enough. I've read Daniel 4 many times and see no evidence to believe your theory of a 2nd "future fulfillment".

--

Read it again but this time read it carefully.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Chevelle

You obviously know nothing about cars. Otherwise, you would have quickly realized the video was a parody. That's exactly what you are... a parody.

or "a joke" if you prefer.

--

The jokes on you, COJ and his associates!!!

scholar JW

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Just read the ''Gentile Times Reconsidered'' by Carl Olaf Jonson,

Just read it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit