Just read that Carl Olof Jonsson died yesterday

by slimboyfat 362 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chevelle
    Chevelle

Scholar

Can you provide some examples of the work that you allege Carl Olaf Jonsson plagiarized from SDA scholars in Australia?

• Dagney
    Dagney

I like others here read COJ's book right after I left JW. I kept thinking "I KNEW IT!" as I read chapter after chapter. And for COJ to pull the data together and document the lies the WT corporation published was a tremendous assistance to thousands of people who were truly searching for truth, and knew something wasn't adding up in the JW literature.

RIP Mr. Jonsson and thank you for work.

• scholar
    scholar

Chevelle

• Can you provide some examples of the work that you allege Carl Olaf Jonsson plagiarized from SDA scholars in Australia?

--

I did not say or mean to infer that COJ plagiarized the work of others for it is clear from his own statement that he carried out independent research in order to address the issue of 607 BCE raised by a student. The earliest critiques from SDA sources in Australia are as follows:

An Examination Of The Year 1914 In The Prophetic Interpretation Of The Watchtower Society, G. Rogerson, 1964, 60 pages.

Max Hatton - SDA Pastor, Research and correspondence with WT society during the sixties.

Leonard Tolhurst - SDA Pastor and Librarian of the SDA Theological Seminary at Cooranbong, NSW.

Neil Tolhurst- SDA representative about early 1972-73 who carried out criticisms on WT Chronology in the course of his door to door ministry.

1914 and Christ's Second Coming An Examination of Jehovah's Witness Teachings on the Subject, William MacCarty, 1975, Review and Herald Publishing Association, Washington, DC which was the first non-Australian source on WT Chronology later credited by COJ in his GTR.

Many Adventists during that period in Australia were critical of our presentation of Chronology featured in the publication Babylon the Great Has Fallen published in 1963.

scholar JW

'

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

After you read CoC and In Search of Christian Freedom by Raymond Franz,,,Carl Olaf Jonsons 2 books drives the entire Borg fallacy home. You can truly put to bed any doubt in your mind the entire JW borg is based on speculation and inconclusive dogma.

It's like "lights out, & good nite"'. 100% confirmed!!!

• scholar
    scholar

Beth Sarim

After you read CoC and In Search of Christian Freedom by Raymond Franz,,,Carl Olaf Jonsons 2 books drives the entire Borg fallacy home. You can truly put to bed any doubt in your mind the entire JW borg is based on speculation and inconclusive dogma.

--

Utter nonsense. A studious examination of COJ's thesis proves the validity of 607 BCE and 1914 CE which is validated by Biblical Theology and the said scholar has spent many decades spanning from the early seventies in studying the accuracy of WT Bible Chronology.

scholar JW

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

What stood out to me in reading Jonsson’s original treatise was not necessarily that he was trying to refute WT, but as a loyal member he was trying to correct information he found to be incorrect and misleading. It sounded like he was genuinely concerned and felt WT could benefit from such information.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Gentile Times Reconsidered and the Last Days When?

Two masterpieces of literature giving testimony to true archaeological evidence that ascertains true knowledge of scientific and authentic research. Its undeniable.

Sad day Car Olaf Jonson passed.

Other researchers will pick - up the reigns. God bless them.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have not read all of Carl Olaf Johnson’s book but I have read enough of it to be impressed by the work . It methodically shows that the 1914 date and others are just the faulty reasoning of men ..

Farewell Carl, you have left a great legacy. RIP.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

RIP , COJ .,I concur with what LMsA says above.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Very sad but it all depends on the quality of life, 85 is not too bad.

I think the time for the WT society to change their stance on 607/1914 has long passed. After all these years they could never face their members if they made such a doctrinal change. Their last opportunity was the Oct/Nov 2011 with the two part article "When was Jerusalem destroyed?"

The same is true of evolution. They are still telling their school children to challenge their teachers and it all started 6,000 years ago with Adam & Eve. Despite it being a lost argument they will still hang on, unable to admit they were wrong all these years and that evolution is fact.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit