The State of the Union

by Marvin Shilmer 142 Replies latest jw friends

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Well I return to put in my 2 cents. I have heard over 40 years of such speaches. The problems still exist. SO blah blah blah- kinda reminds me of the jw thought of floating dates and timetables-

Sadam is evil. Yes we have heard that every day for some time now. The un found what 16 empty containers and we have the word of intellegence sources and guys in prison that thus and so is going on. And now, just now we all of a sudden are concerned over the welfare of these poor people in Iraq. Of course there was no discourse about the plight of millions of others around the globe. SO yes sadam is not a good man. He has the potential of even worse things. To date he has been the most damaging to his own- according to the politics of the day. Nothing, I repeat nothing Bush provided in his speach was new. Each and every charge that he levied against this evil man has already been made public. My question remains the same: If the iraq situation is so bad to the point of requiring the US to launch an attack- why - please tell me why- those in sadams part of the world have to be convinced by us of this need? Would not those that live closest to his nation be begging our action instead of shying away from the war? This is the part that I find most bewildering.

Let us see what "new" info Powell provides on the 5th of Feb. My gut feel, especially after Bushes speach tonight, is there is nothing new. It all falls on the concept of "evil" and that the US has a moral obligation. Though I do not agree that we have a moral obligation I do agree that sadam is evil. However, I do not see that either of these puts the US in a postition to justify war. As ex-jws we should be experts at identifying a brainwash job. For months on end the brainwash has been put out- if we say that sadam is evil enough times people will buy the war. If we say that the last days began in 1914 over and over again- hey they will buy it- and for a long time a lot of us here did and tried to sell it to others.

Edited by - kelsey007 on 29 January 2003 3:45:24

• jelly
    jelly

As far as Bush's tax plan I mentioned in the previous post I see some problems with it. But what have the dems offered in the way of their ecomomic stimulus plan?

1. nada
    2. Zip
    3. Nothing
    4. at least the republicans have a plan after two years of economic downturn for the dems not to have an inkling of a plan is unexcusable. They want to complain but offer no solutions.

Terry

Edited by - jelly on 29 January 2003 4:2:18

• D8TA
    D8TA

Bush: I want the American People to Kno...

Audience: ( 45 seconds of applause )

Bush: And we shall continue to deal with Ira...

Bush: We will defen....

Bush: I will....

Audience ( 45 seconds of applause )

Bush:Uh...

Bush: ...

wash. rinse. repeat.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Kelsey007, good points. Those of us of the 'past' can see the same patterns over and over again. Farkel said in part, 'Bush is light years ahead of them...' I like to throw in my two cents and add to that comment. 'Bush is light years (illuminati) ahead of them..' This reminds of the scripture that says, "...Satan keeps transforming himself into an angel if light. It is therefore nothing great if his ministers ALSO keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works.

Yeah, these same Europeans when they settled in the land of the free saw that the Native Americans Indians were a threat to their thievery, called them terrorists! And what did they do? I don't have to tell you the story and neither will you find the truth in their history books.

Guest 77

• Prisca
    Prisca

Kelsey007, I totally agree with you. When I heard some of Bush's speech on tonight's news, I was dismayed. We are all doomed. America is going to war whether we want them to or not. In retaliation for what America will do, America's allies will be targeted as much as America.

We are all doomed.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Guest77 no wonder the usa leads the world in tv evangilist and cults- One great statesman in this country back during WWI stated that the American people are the easiest to deceive. Millions flock to the popular tone of the day. Memories are too short and few take time to read and digest. Bush as all politicians love the cable news fast food type media. It makes selling thier non-content programs so much easier.

For those that desire to make comparisons between the demos and the repubs- bottom line is there is little difference.

What I chuckle about is that the repubs bash Clinton for his low morals and praise the likes of Bush. All I can see from where I sit is the result thier lives have had on thier children- Jeb and Jr have daughters with substance abuse problems while the daughter of the imoral clinton seems to be fairing so well.

Yes Bushes cry is: "We will have peace even if it means war!" Isnt there a name for that kind of sentence? I am not a doomday prophet, but Bush is intent on his mission- screw the rest of the world! He says we must attack sadam for violating a UN resolution even if we have to disrespect the UN to carry out the mission. No one catches this stuff. He holds the UN at no higher repsect than sadam LOL!

• Perry
    Perry
    And f*ck you too.

You do NOT work harder than me. Why am I not rich? Well, at 24 your options for 'rich' include 'inherit from family' or, err, well that's pretty much it. I guess you could inherit some sum of money and get really lucky with the stock market.

Xander,

Making money is simple but not easy. With the above attitude, it would be impossible to acquire wealth. You would have to learn to take responsibility for your own destiny. That comes with a personal cost.

By the time I was your age I was already doing a million dollars per year in sales. I had only started my small company while I was still pioneering. I had zero help from my family ( they vehemently discouraged it) , I had only a GED and one semester of college. Two years later, I had offices in five states and a peak of almost one hundred sales personnel.

I get pissed when I see rich kids sent off to whatever college in the country they want to go to because their parents just funnel money to them. They then graduate and go on to get rich jobs because their parents could afford to go send them to an ivy-league school while I have to work my way through a community college and hope the IT field recovers by the time I'm looking again.

Typical childish sense of entitlement. Loans and grants make it possible for anyone to get a college education now days. I swear listening to you is like listening to my ultra-liberal college professors that I had later in life. Xander, you get the award for the sterotypical student who only parrots what the secularist professors are shoveling up these days.

If you have more money, it's because you got luckier. Plain and simple. Whether it was luck during your life, or in your circumstances you were born into, or the region you were born at, or your genetics, you got lucky.

When I finally took a break from business and went to college when I was 31, I was amazed at how many of the kids had unclear goals like,"I want to make a lot of money". They didn't have a clue as to how to do it and neither did the school. Yes, the school taught critical thinking, but that was about it. Instead of teaching students concepts like integrity, hard work (btw, you get luckier the harder you work), honesty, civic responsibility, innovation, community, relationship strategies; they mostly just asked kids to memorize a bunch of left wing bull shit that would most assuredly keep them involved in a large government and puppets of the social scientists that they parroted.

Find an original thought, and do the best you can to help others succeed. Create a tide of success. You'll find yourself much happier.

• D8TA
    D8TA

Tony Robbins posts here????

• Realist
    Realist

Farkel,

do you think that all poor people deserve to be poor? that their inability to be successful in this society is something they have to be punished for?

why is it bad to try to help these people and to help disadvantaged minorities?

Perry,

An outstanding speech that stirs the soul. We will bring freedom to Iraq and make the world safer.

Pettygrudger,

Don't you want the children of Iraq to stop being tortured as a means of getting information out of thier parents? This asshole is a monster. Don't fear Pettygrudger.

if you really think Bush is going to war with iraq to free the iraqis than you are one idealistic dreamer.

Everybody knows that the top 50% of earners pay 95% of the taxes....what the hell else do you rabid leftists want, full blown communism?

don't you think this is a slight exaggeration on your part?

Edited by - realist on 29 January 2003 9:3:2

• scotsman
    scotsman

PLike D8TA, the amount of applause seemed ridiculous and reminded me of both the Communist Party speeches under Stalin and those talks you got at the district assemblies by the chairman, where he paused regularly to encourage you to break into 'spontaneous' applause.

I'm rather impressed how many know-it-alls there are on this thread. Why aren't they out solving the world's problems?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit