The State of the Union

by Marvin Shilmer 142 Replies latest jw friends

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

I'm rich. I know lots of rich people. Do you know why I'm rich? I woke harder than you. I work harder than 95% of the people I know. Thats why I have money...

Sorry I don't mean to be such an ass about it but, thats the bottom line...

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

PettyGrudger pretty much summed it all up. Gary Lockes response was very good but he can't balance a budget to save his life so I wouldn't think too highly of him. Bush's speech was well put together but didn't really say anything.

• email
    email

I'm rich. I know lots of rich people. Do you know why I'm rich? I woke harder than you. I work harder than 95% of the people I know. Thats why I have money...

Rolling Rock I agree with you... According to the goverment I AM WITHIN that top 5%... why should I PAY MORE than other people that are sitting on their lazy asses all day?!

IT IS RIDICULOUS the amount of money I pay on taxes EVERY WEEK!!... I by NO MEANS consider myself "rich" but according to the goverment I am.

• Grunt
    Grunt

I thought it was a good speech. I don't trust lawyers or politicians so I tend to take it all with a grain of salt in regards to the tax cuts and the Republican approach to the economy. I do however think it moves beyond partylines when they start talking war. Nobody wants a war, neither party wants a war, but the fact is an enormous group of people hate the USA out there and they have attacked us in our home. Many hate us out of cult hypnosis and also hate all infidels, many hate us out of envy and some have legitimate complaints that can be solved without killing accountants and airline passengers.
    Regardless, having a government willing to give these people weapons that can hurt us can't be allowed. Not acting can lead to a mushroom cloud over London or L.A. or maybe Cheyenne. Putting this regime down is a necessity. Maybe it will help keep us from having to put down Iran or North Korea. Not acting decisively, in my opinion, will just lead to another tragedy that WILL force us TO act decisively. These people will not stop on their own, they have to be stopped by someone. Better now than after more innocent people die. Cutting up flight attendants and blowing up buildings full of secretaries, I get angry thinking about these Islamic Warriors. What do you think we would do if they managed a suitcase nuke strike on a major American city like say Chicago??? Or a an outbreak of plague that killed tens of thousands in the US, Canada or the U.K.??? God help them. In the ashes of a mushroom cloud of any size I think decisions on retaliation would be severe, immediate and unhindered by concerns about collateral damage or rebuilding the nation we strike. George Bush is doing what he thinks he has to do to protect this country and prevent such a situation. I think he is right.
    My heart goes out to the grunts in the line company that goes into that hell-hole to dig him out. I hope as in the last war the problem includes the logistics of taking care of all those surrendering.

Grunt

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot
    How many really, really RICH people have you known that seemed like they deserved their money? Most get it through family, and are lazy SOBs who contribute nothing to society except meddling with the gov't to preserver their wealth.

So let me get this right..if someone doesnt deserve their riches *we'll have to create a committee to decide the criteria*...their money should be taken from them?

Put on your Robin Hood hat ;)

Lizard

• email
    email

Right on Lizard...

sadly that's the whole Democrat attitude... <sigh> what a shame...

• Xander
    Xander

I woke harder than you

And f*ck you too.

You do NOT work harder than me. Why am I not rich? Well, at 24 your options for 'rich' include 'inherit from family' or, err, well that's pretty much it. I guess you could inherit some sum of money and get really lucky with the stock market.

I get pissed when I see rich kids sent off to whatever college in the country they want to go to because their parents just funnel money to them. They then graduate and go on to get rich jobs because their parents could afford to go send them to an ivy-league school while I have to work my way through a community college and hope the IT field recovers by the time I'm looking again.

In any case, I feel pretty lucky that I *can* work my way through college. Some of the guys I went to school with can't even afford that, they work two jobs and can barely make monthly payments. I KNOW you don't work as hard as they do.

If you have more money, it's because you got luckier. Plain and simple. Whether it was luck during your life, or in your circumstances you were born into, or the region you were born at, or your genetics, you got lucky.

An elite few trodding down the masses and acting as if they are somehow superior human beings for having money - when it came to them through nothing more than dumb luck in the end - REALLY pisses me off.

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Rather than comment on things as arbitrary as the notion that "if a person has a lot of money, he obviously worked harder than most"(which is just one of many fallacies that highlights why having a lot of money is so appealing; image, baby, image), lets talk of things that were said by this administration in justifying their rationale for tax cuts. We're told it will help the economy because those getting the break will RE-INVEST it. Riiiight! The reality is that the majority of those who would qualify for the break (and I'm not referring here to those that barely make it at $300,000.00, like some on this illustrious site) have oodles of cash for investment right now. If there not investing at present, what is going to motivate them to do so after than tax-cut? And please don't play that propagandized sympathy card about it allowing older dividend recepients not to have to eat cat food in their golden years. This country has truly become a "corpocracy" and the president is sitting on the board.

• email
    email

Well, at 24 your options for 'rich' include 'inherit from family' or, err, well that's pretty much it. I guess you could inherit some sum of money and get really lucky with the stock market.

At 24 I was already "rich" according to the goverment. I had NO help or inherited ANY money... Just hard work... and years of college to help me get to where I want to be... and I'm STILL not where I want to be...

But you have to understand where Rolling Rock is coming from... While I DON'T agree with personal attacks and when things get personal and off the topic I just drop it all together... but what he's trying to say or to explain is that the way our tax system is set right now is NOT FAIR accross the board... IT PUNISHES success and the over achievers...

I just wonder... if you had money... or had and inheritance... would you think the same way you think today?...

P.S.

when it came to them through nothing more than dumb luck in the end - REALLY pisses me off.

Does it pisses you off that YOU weren't the one getting the money?... 'cause that's another problem... that's called envy.

Edited by - email on 29 January 2003 0:4:6

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Hey Grunt..and everyone else who is consumed with WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION; ... wasn't it three hijacked airliners that caused the 9/11 attack? WOW!! I think they then referred to it as "low tech" terrorism. Bush's attack on Afganistan went well didn't it? Like, where is Osama? And didn't we hear today about a fire fight over there that was the worse since the invasion? Something is not quite right with this administrations gauge for "success"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit