Who still goes to meetings?

by christopherceo 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Not to judge here, and as a caveat, I've been away for *years*, but I just cannot imagine being able to stomach the meetings. Even now, when I read a bit of the literature, it just seems wacko, sleep inducing, and poorly written. The though of going to a meeting makes me sick: I'd personally be a hypocrit to even set foot into one of the KH's. Now, I'm not saying that I dislike all JW's as individuals, but to me going to their meetings at all is showing support for them as an org, which is something I cannot imagine doing.

But, years ago, when I was trying to break away, I think I DID taper off the way some of you folks are. I was always a closet meeting loather (2nd generation JW). Now after being away so long, it's REALLY an incredible freedom. Funny, how JW's say the world is so enslaved. I feel exactly the opposite.

• Funchback
    Funchback

DIM-

I didn't realize what a lame bunch of elders you had over there at the WG!

Still, Oreland sucks even worse: Gary Funches, Joe McGilloway, and the gustapoman: Claud Villa.

Jeff Henry is the only geniune, caring elder in Oreland.

• Mulan
    Mulan

We had it so easy. The School overseer, was one of us.............also figuring out how to get out. I asked him to take me out of the school. He didn't really argue, but said he would miss the way I said a few choice things in my talks, from time to time. He moved away before my husband could quit the school. He gave a talk one night about Jesus and the rich young ruler..............applied it a whole new way. After that there were rumors about his giving an apostate talk, and he was never given another one. (that was sometime early in '97)

We quit going to the KH in July 1997, and attended the book study for a few more months, from time to time. Eventually quit that too.

Neither of us will EVER go back. I can't imagine a reason why we would even consider it.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

OMG, DIM, I KNOW MOST OF THOSE ELDERS!!!! I was in the same cong as the Schmidheisers and the Ritchies, and the Suricks, and all of those old Willow Grove people. The Schmidheiser kids and I used to play outside the KH when we were little after the meeting, catching fireflies and sucking the nectar off the honeysuckle flowers. That was the OLD Hall that at that time was across the street from an amusement park. I left Willow Grove in 1962 but went back to visit a lot. Josephine Ciaverdell was a very dear family friend until recently. E-mail me if you like and we can gossip.

Nina

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

wow, I remember "catching fireflies and sucking the nectar off the honeysuckle flowers" after the meetings! Did all KH have honeysuckle in the parking lot??

• Makena1
    Makena1

"catching fireflies and sucking the nectar off the honeysuckle flowers" after the meetings! Did all KH have honeysuckle in the parking lot??

LOL - we did that where I grew up in Indiana too.

The only meeting we might attend would be if the local natives come after us and decide to DA us ala Princess and Steve. Other than that - no chance!

Interesting thread everybody!

Mak

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

For the Thunder and I the last meeting EVER was before the memorial in 1997 not sure when, it all blurs after Thunder'r wreck and their rudness. The wreck was around 1995 THAT I KNOW LOL

For those Rats and snoopes I went to the Gladstone Hall Gladstone Missouri 64118 Please feel free to tell them I WOULD LOVE SO MUCH too see them LOL

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Hey Mulan, i'd love to hear what that talk was all about!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Zero.

I haven't been to a meeting since the Watchtower study of January 1, 1984.

There've been times I am curious to step in, sit down, and see what it feels like. No-no, don't worry, there's nothing they could say or do to bring me back. It's one of those tiny notions I have had, that of course, I am not going to act upon.

Seeing faces I haven't seen in almost 20 years. Scary.

I'd rather hang out with you guys instead.

• shera
    shera

Only in my nitemares...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit