Who still goes to meetings?

by christopherceo 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• Xander
    Xander

what kind of demons caused me to react so violently to being in a Kingdom Hall

GOODY PROCTOR!! I SAW GOODY PROCTOR WITH THE DEVIL!!!!

Oh, wait, n/m

(Hrm....actually.....they might go for that....)

Those of you who still do go... do you still get all dressed up

An even better question....those of you who do NOT go (*cough*me*cough*)....do you still wear your meeting clothes, you know, EVER?

(Me = no)

• logansrun
    logansrun

The last "meeting" I attended was the funeral talk for my best friend's grandmother (it was not given at the KH). The speaker delivered an awful talk, rattling off scriptures like a machine gun. He even tied in Matt. 28:19,20, basically making it a talk about the last days and field service!

I'm not DFd or DAd, but still, most people shunned me.

Bradley

• christopherceo
    christopherceo

Thanks for all of the replies. I, too, had no idea that so many still go to meetings. I haven't been in over a year and never will again.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

The last meeting I attended was last years memorial. I'll probably go again this year also only because my family would be devastated if I didn't.

• Etude
    Etude

I agree with you, "blacksheep" and with you, "RAYZORBLADE". I haven't attended a meeting since about 1981. I didn't think I could stomach it. However, especially since I joined this newsgroup, I have this morbid curiosity to be there and actually listen to something that would amaze me. More than that, I want some ammunition for the day that I confront some of my family who are still Witnesses and discuss issues. The reason is, they think that when you leave the Organization, it's as if you forget everything that you've ever learned and have no credentials to discuss anything with understanding. I want to have some recent topics to argue with them. Then again, except for scandals, I can't think of anything new that they could possibly come up with. It's the same garbage, different day. Maybe it's how they say it that makes me curious. After all, there are those new "understandings".

I also think about how boring it would be to read through and hear some of the issues in the infantile way it's written and delivered. In all my years hearing lectures (since 1970), there were very few lecturing individuals I encounteed who could manage insight into a subject. I probably could have but didn't have the avocados to deviate from the hour-sermon outline and really speak my mind. While at the mini-Gilead school for new boys at Bethel, someone told me that the Society writes their literature for an audience with an 8th grade level education. Frankly, I think it's somewhere below that. They say the same thing about military documentation, but I find that much more interesting than the Watchtower. I'm not saying that I'm going. I'm just considering it. I can understand other's "no way in hell would I go back" position. Some wounds are hard to heal. I guess mine are, but I still have the scars and that makes me reluctant.

Etude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit