If she doesn't comply an orange jumpsuit is in her future

by DJS 508 Replies latest social current

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

OCS training is demanding and martial. Instructors emphasized the realities of combat day after day...

At some point, this candidate realized he could not in good conscience engage in warfare...

He struggled with his beliefs—even debated them respectfully with the battalion commander—but concluded he could not stay.

It was a painful parting on both sides. He lost a coveted career, the Corps lost a promising candidate. But it had to happen.

Here’s what didn’t happen: Nobody suggested that dropping him from OCS was a violation of the First Amendment’s guarantee of “the free exercise” of religion. He did not say, “I think that in recognition of my sincere religious opposition to war, you should let me stay in the Corps and get my pilot’s wings. I will do the job, except for one thing: I won’t drop bombs or shoot guns.”

I thought of that incident on Thursday, when I read Miller v. Davis.

Is it possible to agree on what religious freedom is not?

It’s not a right to wear a Marine uniform but refuse to fight.

It’s not a right to be a county clerk and decide which citizens you will serve and which you won’t.

Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens.

It’s not good enough to say, “Go to another county if you want a license.” It’s not good enough to say, “I won’t let anyone get married.” Those aren’t a clerk’s decisions to make.

"Central both to the idea of the rule of law and to our own Constitution's guarantee of equal protection is the principle that government and each of its parts remain open on impartial terms to all who seek its assistance,” wrote U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in the 1996 case of Romer v. Evans.

www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/08/religious-freedom-gay-marriage/401390/

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Regarding the case of Romer v. Evans (mentioned at the end of my last post):

The decision in Romer set the stage for Lawrence v. Texas (2003), where the Court overruled its decision in Bowers, for the Supreme Court ruling striking down Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act in United States v. Windsor (2013), and for the Court's ruling striking down state bans on same-sex marriage in Obergefell v. Hodges (2015).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romer_v._Evans

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

It is a joke that the system in KY gives some clerk so much power, but that is the way it is. I have no dog in this fight. But the reason I think that she has a prayer-or good reason for her claim is because she already was in office on 6/26/2015 when the US Supreme Court ruled, and her job not only requires that she issue licenses like some motor vehicle employee, it is also her duty to endorse those gay marriages.

She is not being detained for refusing to violate her First Amendment Rights, and she is not being detained for not doing her job and she is not being detained for discrimination, she is being detained for willfully violating a Court Order, Contempt of Court.. And she is still in power, so it seems. Imagine that!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    She's playing the martyr and winning at that game. She should have been heavily fined.
  • Viviane
    Viviane

Stop lying, Fishperson. She has no duty to endorse any marriage. You're lying that endorse means something to doesn't.

Typical Christian dishonesty. It's pathetic and disgusting.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    She's playing the martyr

How do you know?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Stop lying, Fishperson. She has no duty to endorse any marriage. You're lying that endorse means something to doesn't.
    Typical Christian dishonesty. It's pathetic and disgusting.

I am not lying

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Fisherperson: "How do you know?"

How do I know she's playing the martyr? She has stated, before she got jailed, that she was willing to go to jail. She's been held up in Fundamentalist Christian circles as a hero for taking a stand.

This issue has been brewing before the mainstream media picked up on it. Go here for more details.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

You're lying; I am not! Yes you are...

• Viviane
    Viviane

You are 100% lying. There is no meaning of "endorse" that means what you claim and you know that.

You are lying. Typical Christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit