SUV'S Owners Support Terrorists!

by pettygrudger 55 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Yep, new campaign ad's on tv basically links the owning of an SUV to the need for LOTS of gas, to that money going to countries that supply that gas, to the terrorists who get funding from those same countries.

So, based on this - what kind of car do you drive? Do you think that we American's have a moral or ethical responsibility to self-reduce our need for oil, and reduce just in general all the "materialistic" things in life to which we feel entitled?

I drive a Geo Prizm - 35 mpg - because of our environment (and plus I'm just a cheap ass!) :D

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

2000 Mercury Cougar. Not a gas guzzler.

Devon

• freedom96
    freedom96

I would rather have my family safe in a larger car than worry about how much gas I was using. I have never thought of using gas as a way to help terrorists.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Wow, im suprised they finally got that on TV. Arianna Huffington was one of the people pushing to get funds for those SUV ad's. One of the big reasons for the ad was as a counter to those ridiculous anti drug ad's that link smoking weed to supporting terrorism.

To Freedom: I know what you are saying about being in the larger car. What bugs me is that the reason everyone has to get a bigger car to be safe is because everyone else keeps getting biger and bigger cars. I was riding in one of my friends Navigator the other night. While I have to admit it was a very nice ride, as I sat there and looked out the back window, I just thought how absolutely ridiculous this automobile was. That's why I like the anti-SUV ads. I think it's hypocritical for the Feds to say buying drugs supports terrorism while ignoring the fact that they get a lot of funding via oil money.

Edited by - irongland on 8 January 2003 20:32:10

• LDH
    LDH

This is a good topic, I've been thinking about it lately.

Bill Maher has a new book out, "If You Ride Alone, You Ride with Osama." Where he basically takes the position you take.

I'll have to research this issue a lot more before I chip in my two cents because:

• I'm pretty much a cheap ass too. I have a 96 Grand Prix that's been paid for for three years, so I'm pretty much driving for free. (Hey, as an added bonus, it's a good service car, LOL)
    • I do need a new car. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it only has 80,000 miles on it and since I pamper it, I've NEVER had a major mechanical problem. (knocks on wood)
    • The reason I need a new car is SPACE. Now I have the little guy, and his car seat takes up the WHOLE FREAKING BACK SEAT. When my daughter and her friends are back there, they are crunched up. FORGET using it for out of town trips now, we would look like sardines.

So I've been giving it some thought. I would love a used SUV (I think new cars are rip offs). I don't want a minivan. I have driven and ridden in them and anything over 40,000 miles the damn rear end whines like a baby!!! They seem to be so LOUD inside. (Does anyone have a minivan with miles on it that is quiet?)

What are the pros and cons of mini-van vs. SUV?

My girlfriend (RN) just bought a minivan, she swears there's more room.

Americans use earth's resources disproportionately. I just want to make sure if I do buy a gas guzzler, it's because I need one.

Input? Thoughts?

Lisa

• animal
    animal

The lady running with the ad lives in a 10,000 SF house, which probly costs lots to heat in the winter nites, and electric to run the lights. There is more fuel being used.

It is all just BS. I prefer my V-8 truck to any baby car.

Animal

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

1998 Volvo S70 - not a gas guzzler in the least but it does look damn good.

LOVE my car

• IronGland
    IronGland

You're right animal. However, from all I've read the ads primary purpose was to show the hypocrisy of the government sponsored anti-drug ads. No sane person believes people are ever gonna give up their tanks. I'll admit, I hate the damn things, Not just because of gas mileage. I drive an older sedan that doesn't get much better mileage than a new SUV, so I have no room to point fingers. I hate not being able to see when backing out of a parking space. I hate that if I get in a wreck with one, my car will be crushed and I will probably die. They strike me as wasteful and silly. It's extremely comical to see one person driving around in these land yachts to go to the grocery store. The commercials for them always show some cowboy driving throught the snow in the backwoods of montana. But the reality is that most are driven by fat office schlubs.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

LDH - I've owned a mini-van too, and rented SUV's for a couple of days - there is definitely MORE room in the Mini-van - alot more imho.

LOL IronGlands - you are too funny about the "big fat office slobs" - at least where I work this is the case!

What bugs me is that the reason everyone has to get a bigger car to be safe is because everyone else keeps getting biger and bigger cars

I couldn't agree w/this statement more.

Two thoughts came to mind when I heard this

#1 - that the auto makers THEMSELVES now knowing foreign car companies are going to be entering the truck market full swing are sort of behind this to push the mini-van market (where so far America has a better product) and the medium size sedans. The auto show's in Detroit starting this week, and alot of the American auto's being introduced are in fact sedans & mini-vans/SUVS (kinda of a hybred mini-van).

#2 - I don't believe its a lot of BS - I personally believe that's why we are so involved in the middle east - if they didn't have something we wanted we would'nt have been involved in alot of the stuff that's helped get us to the state we're in. Its also been known for quite a while that not only are fuel cells not as expensive as the automakers make them out to be - but for some reason this isn't being pressed (kind of like automakers resisted installing seat belts -saying they were too expensive & people wouldn't wear them anyways - it took a LAW to force them to do the right thing).

I personally thing its the oil companies and businesses that make their money off oil that are lobbying the government to make sure they don't impose more strict fuel efficient vehicles.

Also, I just watched the big 3 CEO's address this very issue - and they all said the same thing "The Public only wants SUV's & we have to give the public what they want".

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

this is ridiculous-

Yep, I must be supporting terrorists. I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD. And because I live in snow country- I even put it in 4 WHEEL drive- guzzling even more gas!! OMG

It's probably much worse and I'm much more of a terrorist supporter that I don't even know what kind of gas mileage the thing gets !!! When it's empty I fill it up again.

And--uh oh- I keep my house pretty warm in the winter and the central air running in the summer

did I mention that Osama is living in my basement, rent free?

Good grief- what will they think of next

XW of the "Gas Guzzling, Terrorist Supporting, Player" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit