BRITS v YANKS

by nicolaou 166 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

dins - how did yo umanage to sum up the best and worst about britain in such a short post !

• Francois
    Francois

Your savior and greatest genius, Winston Churchill, (my hero and a Great Man), who stood alone in the breach face-to-face with the world's most terrifying criminally insane leader and saved your asses, was half American, therefore:

YANKS WIN HANDS DOWN

(Although after that description of pub ale, I'm willing to give you second place)

Francois

• The Dredger
    The Dredger

dredged

Well in the light of a few recent postings, notably Ice Cream Hot Dogs Apple Pie & Chevrolet!, I figured this thread could use a fresh airing.

Here's my true contribution.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995.
    (Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.)

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.
    Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

USA: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canada: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

USA: This is the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln, the second largest ship in the United States' Atlantic Fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers and numerous support vessels. I demand that you change your course 15 degrees north, that's one five degrees north, or counter measures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship!!!

Canada: This is a lighthouse. Your call.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• JanH
    JanH

dredger,

Funny story, but never happened. Unfortunately

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• The Dredger
    The Dredger

Busted!

you're probably right JanH.
    Shame really as it's just the sort of thing that SHOULD be true.
    Here's where I got it.. http://www.flatworld.u-net.com/funny/yanks.htm

• outsider_looking_in
    outsider_looking_in

What's the difference between Americans and the engines of the jets on which they travel abroad?

After they land, the engines of the jets quit whining.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages?
    "Multilingual".

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
    "Bilingual".

What do you call someone who speaks one language?
    "An American".

• toddy
    toddy

Q:Why wasnt Jesus born in America?

A: cos they couldnt find 3 wise men and a virgin!

• JanH
    JanH

Dredger,

Shame really as it's just the sort of thing that SHOULD be true.

I totally agree. Damn truth ruining a good tale.

The tale really describes the aircraft carrier behaving like the typical American tourist in Europe

Here'sthe story about the story: http://www.snopes2.com/military/lighthse.htm I also read somewhere that the American Navy PR people are sick and tired of journalists asking about the tale...

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• JanH
    JanH

Q: Why wasn't Jesus born in Norway?

A: You could not find a virgin there, and certainly no wise men could ever come from the east.

- Jan
    --

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Jan:

certainly no wise men could ever come from the east.

Was that a back-handed jibe at the Swedes? I'll have you know us Brits are feeling pretty warm and fuzzy towards the Swedes these days.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit