Disfellowshipped for Being Raped!

by UnDisfellowshipped 84 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Also, I just found something very interesting in the newest Watchtower Quote above (February 1st 2003 Issue).

Here is the Quote:

In the second Instance, a man found a young woman in the countryside, where he "grabbed hold of her and lay dawn with her." In defense, the woman "screamed, but there was no one to rescue her." Unlike the woman in the first instance, this woman clearly did not give in to the actions of the attacker. She actively resisted him, crying for help, but she was overpowered. Her screaming proved that she was an unwilling victim; she was not guilty of wrongdoing.

Here is the Scripture that the Watchtower was referring to:

Deuteronomy 22:25: "But if in the field the man finds the girl who is engaged, and the man rapes her, then only the man who rapes her shall die.
    Deuteronomy 22:26: "But you shall do nothing to the girl; there is no sin in the girl worthy of death, for just as a man rises against his neighbor and murders him, so is this case.
    Deuteronomy 22:27: "When he found her in the field, the engaged girl cried out, but there was no one to save her.

The Watchtower Society uses that Scripture in SUPPORT of their "Scream or be Disfellowshipped" Policy.

HOWEVER, they completely absolutely IGNORE that Scripture when they enforce their TWO-WITNESS POLICY!

Notice, the Scripture says that if a woman was out in the field and was raped, and there was NO ONE ELSE AROUND, that the man was to be put to death at the word of ONE WITNESS -- THE VICTIM!

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 24 December 2002 5:31:23

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

One thing that stood out from this article was the lack of mention of the option of getting proffessional counselling. It reflects the attitude of the Society that prayer, study, service and "thinking positive" etc are magic solutions to every problem, including complex ones like moving beyond the trauma of rape.

The article still has enough language in it that reinforces it's past statements on the subject in the mind of a JW, while giving a completely different impression to the non-JW reader.

I can only say that their maintaining their position on this subject is absolutely sickening. To continue to mention the subject in this way still can leave many JW woman that suffered rape and did not scream feeling guilty that they didn't do enough and that is simply wrong.

WT leaders are so out of touch with the real world that simply understands that "rape is wrong". They live in the past where they still believe a woman might have somehow "deserved" or "encouraged" rape by her conduct or dress (they would reference the Dinah account in the Bible), or that she might not have done enough to resist such an attack.

Few things disgust me more than the WT's handling of this particular subject.

Path

• gumby
    gumby

I wonder how loud a member of the GB would scream if a horney old lady threw one of them down and ripped his pants off in a back alley?

• JT
    JT
    Even so, some Christian women who have been attacked and violated are incessantly pained by feelings of guilt. In hindsight, they feel that they should have done more to prevent the incident from happening. However, instead of blaming themselves

while this article acknowledges that out of fear some women may not scream and would not be viewed as unfaithful-

the question must be asked why do some women feel that they did not do enough esp IF THEY DIDN'T SCREAM-

THE answer is simple - after years of wt indoctrination when the wt makes a shift in dogma many times jw are still left believing the old dogma, esp if the new understanding is not CLEARLY EXPLAINED, SO MANY times the wt has made dogma changes and buried the changes down on page 27 paragraph 2 and most jw will miss it till the CO or some Society man elder says THIS IS A NEW POINT

WE a guy who needed a kidney and his wife was a match- and i recall one older elder say-

We need to setup a judical committee if she is going to go thru with giving her husband a kidney

i looked at another elder and at the time we just snickered like THIS OLD ASS FOOL KEEP UP WITH CURRENT ORGANIZATIONAL PROCEDURES-

BUT THE point was in his mind after some 25yrs he was still walking around believing that transplants were wrong-

same with some sister who is raped, all she know is the wt told her YOU GOT TO SCREAM OR ELSE YOU WANTED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

F***ing Degenerate WT. That's infuriating. After a year of scrutiny, they still are bent on screwing every victim they can.

ash

• undercover
    undercover

It seems that the Society has lightened up on it's "scream or be DF'd" policy but yet nowhere in that new article does it say that if a woman is raped that it is NOT her fault. Even though they say Jehovah knows her heart they leave it open for the individual to feel regret that they somehow are responsible.

Rape is a violent crime. In some ways it is worse than murder. A woman does not seek to get raped. She does not ask for it. It is not her fault. Whether she is able to scream or fight has no bearing on the issue. This terrible crime was forced on her. This article does nothing to help a woman deal with having to handle this situation.

If you were held up at gunpoint, attacked, or someone attempted murder on your person there would be no judicial committee to see if you somehow are responsible or guilty of provoking this crime. But let someone be raped and there will have to be a committe meeting to decide if the victim was somehow responsible. This just makes it worse for the victim, to somehow be thought of as sharing in this guilt. I don't see how any caring person could sit in a meeting and accuse a woman of asking for this crime to be committed against her. It goes against all Christian principles.

• JT
    JT
    It seems that the Society has lightened up on it's "scream or be DF'd" policy but yet nowhere in that new article does it say that if a woman is raped that it is NOT her fault.

EXCELLENT POINT

Whether she is able to scream or fight has no bearing on the issue. This terrible crime was forced on her. This article does nothing to help a woman deal with having to handle this situation

as someone mention, there is no suggestion to seek Professional help at all and the reason is simple

our KM school instructor told us

field service

meeting attendance

reading the publications will solve 95% of the publishers problems

If you were held up at gunpoint, attacked, or someone attempted murder on your person there would be no judicial committee to see if you somehow are responsible or guilty of provoking this crime. But let someone be raped and there will have to be a committe meeting to decide if the victim was somehow responsible

you are knocking the ball out of the park

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

This is disgusting. I remember years ago there was a sister (I think it was Saugrities, NY) who was D/F'd for being raped. Those who knew the sister were infuriated because she was accused of taking pleasure in the attack (yea, right). Wherever she is - I hope she has found peace in her life.

• rocky220
    rocky220

WTBTS SUCKS AS A RELIGIOUS ENTITY, HAS NO CLUE WHAT RAPE IS, UNLESS SOME OF THE GB HAS COMMITED IT THEMSELVES!...Any sister disfellowshipped for having been raped should dragged their ignorant, malicious asses through court for defamation of character and mental abuse of the victims after such a heinous crime has been commited. WT consistantly fails to see what their role is in the lives of the R&F. It is not to beat them down when what they need is true compassion,support and christ-like love...something that WT knows nothing about!!!! rocky220

• mebeme
    mebeme

Great comments.from all before me...I hate this whole subject...I mean who in the hell do they think they are to make determination of innocence of a victim, by if they scream or have witnesses....It's ridiculous. How dare they. Rape is rape whether you scream or not......My love to all who have suffered at their insensitivity and brashness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit