$$ Get your ROKU on! $$

by pixel 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cappytan
    cappytan

Here's why I'm going to use the code, regardless of whether 5% goes to Watchtower:

I need a new Roku, and I sure as hell could use the 20% discount.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Im not mad at u cappy. I would too if i was in the market. Its for the best as it will encourage the wt to do it more
  • steve2
    steve2

This is just a more formalized financial arrangement that has long existed in the JW organization.

Some might remember when the organiztion purchased in the 1970s the publishing rights to a "respected" scholar's translation of the Bible that, among other features, included Jehovah's name. It was offered for placement at a claimed discount price. Also, bundles of older magazines were routinely offered door-to-door at special offers.

More embarrassingly, Chuck Russell used the Watchtower's pages to sell "magic wheat". After that low, offering Roku devices for 20% discount is positively heavenly.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Is this for real? I mean I know they have a financial agreement with Roku and all but reading a special letter to promote a coupon code? Ridiculous. Maybe they aren't pushing as many units as they needed to fulfill the contract.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    As several people habe already confirmed, this is indeed "for real"! Should be read this week at the service meeting.... I doubt there is any ckntract to move a specific number of units. I would bet it relates directly to wanting to encourage everyone to watch the jw channel. Roku is ideal for older peope, easy to use and navigate. Computers tend to confuse them. I just find it abhorant that after all the shit over the years about not doing buissness in the hall they do this...they even railed against giving invitations to weddings at the hall. But selling roku is ok.
  • adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    Is the Roku worth it if you already have a smart TV?
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Personal choice. If you are comfortable streaming directly from your tv it may be of limited value for you. I prefer to use apple tv as my bridge. Im not downing roku at all, btw. Its just not useful for me ...
  • Dagney
    Dagney

WBTS is a corporation and decisions are made for the benefit of the corporation.

Discounts provided by the WBTS have been used throughout the years for various things, and decidedly for everyone's benefit. But the main benefactor is the WBTS.

I wouldn't be surprised if they offered discounts on Apple products or tablets at some point. It's a revenue stream.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

"Discounts provided by the WBTS have been used throughout the years for various things, and decidedly for everyone's benefit."

really? Like what? I was a witness for about 40 years and dont recall any lettters like this, save hotels at DC time, which is a similar principle.

• cappytan
    cappytan

I really REALLY like my Roku. I've been a Roku customer since the first version.

The kids could use a Roku 3 in their room.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit