Lurkers

by Yizuman 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Gerard
    Gerard

The fact of the matter is he began to spend a lot of his time online reading apostate material and dwelling on it to the exclusion of everything else. He tried to show his family and get them to read it also. It troubled him to the extent that it ruined his faith.

Jonadab

Ruined his faith? I'd say he finaly woke up. He had doubts and likely found explanations for it. He may have noticed the Bible was interpreted and distorted to the benefit of the WT. He saw what the JW religion really is: a controling cult that uses FEAR to manage its followers. Everytime I read of someone pulling out of it I feel relieved. There is such thing as Christian freedom.

I like your gentle writting and respect your views. Cheers,

Gerry

Edited by - Gerard on 31 December 2002 15:48:12

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

I'm also wondering if and how you count your time spent preaching here? Do you count the amount of time it takes to compose your posts, or the amount of time it takes an average person to read your posts? Or do you report it at all?---------Spaznik

I do not count time for this. Until you mentioned it the thought had never even crossed my mind. I consider that the time I have spent here is mainly with those who would be considered spiritually weak or inactive. It is not my intention to debate with those who proudly refer to themselves as 'apostates'. I feel that would be a waste of my time and energy and would accomplish nothing. -----Jonadab

I'm wondering though, how you rationalize disobeying the society's encouragement to stay away from sites like this.------Spaznik

Simon has offered this site as a public forum to discuss Jehovah's Witnesses and things Witness related. It is not advertised to be an apostate website, although there are those here who have been disfellowshipped for apostacy posting here. I am not in the habit of searching for sites to read apostate literature, but I will tell you that I am familiar with things that Ray Franz has written about. I am also familiar with Randy Watters and his story, as well as many other matters that are discussed in this forum. I do not have my head buried in the sand, as some may like to think. There may be bumps and warts on the trees if that is what you are looking for, but one also has to take the time to stand back to view the beauty of the forest. ------------Jonadab

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Romans 16:17: I appeal to you, brethen, to take note of those who create dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them.

I will add this Jonadab. You spoke of "apostate" sites and "apostate literature." But couldn't alot of WTS literature be considered "apostate literature?" It is "in opposition" to the doctrine that most people have been taught. And isn't the very backbone of the WTS to recruit householders, thereby turning them into "apostates" of their former religions? If all householders would truly heed the Bible, they would close the door on Jehovah's Witnesses, because aren't Witnesses "in opposition to the doctrine" that householders have been taught? And doesn't the Bible say to "avoid them." I know you're familiar with this scripture Jonadab, you just haven't read it with an objective mind most likely.

If my father would have heeded this scripture, he certainly would have avoided JWs and remained a Lutheran. But then if everyone heeded the Bible, there would be no Lutheran religion. Ditto for the Witnesses.

Edited by - deddaisy on 31 December 2002 16:2:34

Edited by - deddaisy on 31 December 2002 16:14:49

Edited by - deddaisy on 31 December 2002 22:20:41

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I joined this forum in April of 2001. I'm here infrequently and still an active JW and like to read the other side of the coin. It's hard to believe (not that I don't) that so many of you have had bad experiences with elders or the congregations you were in...and for that I feel sorry that you had these experiences. It is not the norm. I don't know what I would have done if I were in your shoes, but I think I would have tried very hard to find a congregation that treated people better than the congs you were in before you left completely. But I haven't walked in your shoes.

I've read Ray Franz' book, Crisis of Conscience, but have also read other books as well. To me it all comes down to whether or not a person believes and puts faith in the Creator. Application of the scriptures, especially those in the Greek Scriptures, are all interpretations of man, and I think we all have to travel through them somehow in our own way, and take the apostle Paul's advice, to become a mature, spritually full-grown man, so that we can each have a good conscience towards God and not judge others. I pray that the GB are working towards that end..and maybe they are. One of my friends compares the old ones who are dying off, to those who wandered in the wilderness for 40 years. Maybe he's right.

• waiting
    waiting

Scooby whoever,

Welcome to our forum! Jonadab does make good posts - it's obvious that he/she's thinking - I hope y'all continue to stick around?

Hello Flowerpetal,

Also welcome to our forum, as it's been a while since posting?

It is not the norm. -flower

How do you know that? None of us actually can prove what is the norm or not. We can only say our experiences. The difference here is, we have the freedom to speak about our experiences, both good and bad.

Within the congregation (in private or in public) speaking about negative dealings within the congregation concerning anything is discouraged - as it's perceived to be "not upbuildings for the brothers and sisters." True, it's not upbuilding to jw's.....but it's still true.

To me it all comes down to whether or not a person believes and puts faith in the Creator. -flower

Perhaps, if one wants to be a Christian. There are many fine Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, etc., who would disagree that only the Bible holds the truth of God., or any God.

Application of the scriptures, especially those in the Greek Scriptures, are all interpretations of man, and I think we all have to travel through them somehow in our own way, and take the apostle Paul's advice, to become a mature, spritually full-grown man, so that we can each have a good conscience towards God and not judge others. - flower

Good point for one professing to be a Christian. However, I noticed that the term Jehovah's Witnesses was not used by you. And your viewpoint certainly is not approved by the WTBTS - but it makes sense to me. I may not agree fully, but I think we all travel, and it's up to each of us to find our source & way.

I pray that the GB are working towards that end..and maybe they are. One of my friends compares the old ones who are dying off, to those who wandered in the wilderness for 40 years. Maybe he's right.

Maybe..........................

I hope y'all stick around ? Even if we disagree, we can still discuss viewpoints, eh? lol, was going to wish y'all a Happy New Year. Okaayyyyyyyy, "Have a Nice Day."

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 31 December 2002 17:47:25

• Jonadab
    Jonadab

I'm back. I haven't been online lately. Also, a word of thanks for the nice emails I've received from some of you.

I will add this Jonadab. You spoke of "apostate" sites and "apostate literature." But couldn't alot of WTS literature be considered "apostate literature?"

The older literature that is quoted by many 'apostates' served a purpose at the time of writing. Scriptural truths were just just being revealed and understood. The apostasy that was fortold (2 Thes.2:2,3) and that was taking hold even before the death of John had 1800 years to grow and develop. It held many in a strong grip that wasn't easy to let go of. During this time period the 'Wheat and Weeds' grew together (Matt.13:24-30, 36-43). It wasn't easy to tell one from another. This would change though, as Jesus explained. They would be gathered out. Even Isaiah and Micah foretold this (Is.2:2,3; Mic.4:1-3)

Men like Brother Russell were sincere, humble men. I'm sure that if Brother Russell was alive on earth right now he would accept the progressive changes in understanding that have been made since his day. To hold to what he had understood in his day would be like him holding to the false religious teachings that he came to reject after his progressive study of scripture. It is not logical to think that he would do otherwise.

And isn't the very backbone of the WTS to recruit householders, thereby turning them into "apostates" of their former religions?

I guess the same could be said of the early Christians. They were the new, upstart religion of the day. These Jews had dared to reject their heritage and had taken up with this man Jesus. Probably the early Christians were viewed as apostates by the Jews. But were they? No. They followed Jesus, because he was Jehovah's channel for truth. Jehovah rejected the nation of Israel and placed his favor on the spiritual nation of Israel. They were right to change their religion. It would have been wrong of them to stick with their old form of worship at this point, even though it had once been the right way to worship.

The question now is, Should a person stick with a religion that does not conform to Bible teaching? Many continue to follow a faith that celebrates Christmas and Easter, both of which are based on pagan customs and worship of false gods. Even with all the evidence of the false religious background of these holidays these religions do not turn around and reject the false. They still embrace it. The early Bible Students celebrated Christmas at one time, but later rejected it when it became known the false religious connection. That was the right thing to do.

Romans 16:17: I appeal to you, brethen, to take note of those who create dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them.

If my father would have heeded this scripture, he certainly would have avoided JWs and remained a Lutheran. But then if everyone heeded the Bible, there would be no Lutheran religion. Ditto for the Witnesses.

If the early Christians had heeded this scripture there would have been no apostasy in the first place. The fact remains that the foretold apostasy did take place and that's why there are so many faiths today all claiming to be Christian. What is needed is a return to the Christianity that Jesus estabished and that God is blessing today. The question is, Who is God blessing?

• Valis
    Valis
    The fact remains that the foretold apostasy did take place and that's why there are so many faiths today all claiming to be Christian.

Yes, and if Jehovahs Witnesses looked at the very roots of their own religion like reasonable non guilt ridden human beings they would find that a racist, bigoted, fake, egoistic, failed prohpecies, for profit religion is what they've got!...How many times do the JWs use the same argument against other flavors of christianity? sheesh...A false god couldn't/hasn't/won't bless my little toe, much less 6 million deluded souls on earth....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Jonadab
    Jonadab

Would spreading the belief that the world would end at a certain date based on the measurements of a pyramid be considered false prophesying ?

First of all, I would ask your definition of 'prophesying'.

Secondly, was it false? Yes it was.

Third, was it intentionally false, intended to mislead? No.

Fourth, did it remain a teaching when it was realized to be wrong? No it didn't.

• Jonadab
    Jonadab

Hey Jonadab!

I have two questions for you:

1. Are you counting time with all of us on the forum here????

No

2. And have you told your elders how you are spending your time?

I didn't realize that I owned them. No again.

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

First I'd like to address the original question! I was already out of the org for many years when places like this became available on the internet. Oh how I wish there was something like this when I first left! The mind control continued even though I had left. Finally, it was David Reed's newsletter and Randy Watters' newsletter that helped me see the hypocrisy, failed prophesies, deceit and cult tactics that I was able to rid myself of guilt and fear.

Many continue to follow a faith that celebrates Christmas and Easter, both of which are based on pagan customs

I just love this argument. I mean, I really do. If we were to follow this logic completely, there would be very little we COULD do. Our calendar... months and days... wedding rings... anniversaries... what was so wrong with paganism anyway? It's just another belief. Just because kids like Easter eggs doesn't take away from the fact that Christians celebrate Jesus' resurrection and the hope it brings for all of us. Do you think a little kid clutching a stuffed bunny is thinking about its pagan roots?? Do you think about pagan rituals when you look at your wedding band?

Christians commemorate Jesus' death too, on Good Friday. Unlike JWs, who commemmorate it by passing bread and wine which is to be consumed only by an elite few. That is not Biblical.

Not looking to pick a fight! Just stating my opinion.

Edited for punctuation

Edited by - PurpleV on 10 January 2003 9:56:14

• Gerard
    Gerard

Jonadab, "Would spreading the belief that the world would end at a certain date based on the measurements of a pyramid be considered false prophesying ?"-----deddaisy

"First of all, I would ask your definition of 'prophesying'. "-----------Jonadab Webster's Dictionary 1995: prophesying: 1. To foretell or predict (future events). 2. To foretell (something) by divine inspiration.

Secondly, was it false? Yes it was.----------Jonadab

Third, was it intentionally false, intended to mislead? No.-------Jonadab I know there are congregations out there that have done a lot of harm, but at the same time the truth is still the truth and at the end of the day 1+1 still equals 2. -------Jonadab (on private e-mail). Jonadab, no organization ought to cause harm and claim to have divine rights to do it; "false" is false. Whether it was intentional or not is irrelevant when deciphering the definition of "false prophesying." Therefore, you agree, that "spreading the belief that the world would end at a certain date based on the measurements of a pyramid" could indeed be held as false prophesying. Whether or not it is considered "intentional" false prophesying is not of importance when pertaining to "God's earthly organization" being guilty of it. My meaning pertaining to "apostate literature," is literature which is used to show one that the teachings of one's religion are false. Do you agree with this definition? If so, then how can you conclude that JW literature, when in the hands of householders, is not "apostate literature?" When speaking of Russell, who by the way you agree was an apostate to the religion he was raised in, you said:

"To hold to what he had understood in his day would be like him holding to the false religious teachings that he came to reject after his progressive study of scripture. It is not logical to think that he would do otherwise."---------Jonadab
    I could not agree with you more on this point Jonadab. But then, I am not the one that "shuns" those that conclude with your statement above, you are. And you find it perfectly legitimate that Russell, by examining and denying his former religion, was somehow inspired, while your former "brothers" are shunned for taking the same steps. You also said:
    "The question now is, Should a person stick with a religion that does not conform to Bible teaching?"----Jonadab
    Well I certainly feel that one must conform to what one believes to be truth. As far as conforming to "Bible teaching," well Jonadab, you know as well as I that the teaching is in the interpretation. You rarely find two witnesses to the same accident that see the same thing. So how a group can alienate anyone who does not hold to what they see as the meaning of a work as extraordinary as the Bible is questionable in itself. Romans 16:17: I appeal to you, brethen, to take note of those who create dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them.

If my father would have heeded this scripture, he certainly would have avoided JWs and remained a Lutheran. But then if everyone heeded the Bible, there would be no Lutheran religion. Ditto for the Witnesses. -------deddaisy
    If the early Christians had heeded this scripture there would have been no apostasy in the first place-------Jonadab

This, Jonadab, does not explain Russell's apostasy. Christ was not an apostate. Why do you feel that Jehovah would've found it necessary to have his earthly organization set up by an apostate of any religion? Someone who, according to the Bible, is going against God ? Webster's Dictionary 1995: apostate: a person who commits apostasy. apostasy: renunciation or abandonment of a previous loyalty, as to one's religious faith. The Bible seems quite contrary. "Turn away from what is false, but avoid those that do turn away from what is false, unless of course they are turning away from what we have determined to be false." The question is then, who decides what is false? Is this a personal decision, or is this a question that is answered by a group of men in New York City ? Cheers, Gerry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit