Lurkers

by Yizuman 91 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Jonadab might well have an extensive collection of Historical Witness material but I find it unlikely he can have read much of it in sequential/ contextual order. Noone who reads years worth of old Watchtowers, in sequence, can fail to see the doctrine shifts, more importantly, WHY they shift. Noone can fail to see the things that are CONCEALED. And why those particular things are concealed. The objective? To demonstrate that they have never been in error. That they are in fact, the infallible voice of God.

Its as clear as an azure blue sky on a summers day.

Edited by - refiners fire on 25 December 2002 1:11:48

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

Jonadab, this is getting to be "I'll convince you, or you'll convince me." We both know neither will happen. I feel in my heart that the JWs are not right. Perhaps in this life you are to believe that they are. Does that make either one of us evil ? I think not. Perhaps we are on separate paths to experience separate things. Who is to say. You say:

May I respectfully disagree. If were not meant 'to get knowledge of the times' then why does the Bible have so much chronology attached to its prophecies? Why did Jesus give his disciples such a detailed sign of his future presence? Why was Daniel given the information regarding the appearance of the Messiah in his 70 weeks of years prophecy? Why give all this information if we were never supposed to know the answers?
    Then, why was the original scripture cited? JWs claim "in this generation" means "in this generation," yet they twist the scriptures in other places to suit their "light." Sorry Jonadab, I don't buy it. If you want to know why "the Bible has so much chronology attached to its prophecies," yet says its not for us to know, well you'll have to ask the writers of the Bible for explanation.

As for Revelations, no, I was not pulling your chain. And I do not put any faith in the WTS interpretation of the scriptures. The Bible says" the great crowd in heaven." I don't take that to mean a different "great crowd in heaven" because the WTS 's literature says it is a "different great crowd." The WTS says whatever to go along with its current belief. The WTS writers, nor any other writers, are my Gods.

Jonadab, you said you weren't here to debate. And believe me I'm not either. I've heard enough debating concerning the "truth" to last me a lifetime. You wish there were one thing you could say to stir my mind., and vice versa. But there is not. We see things as we are ready to. One question though Jonadab. How in the world can you truly believe that Jehovah had Russell and co. believe in pyramids, only to later have them abandon the belief? This is not brighter life, this is changing color bulbs ! People died following this belief. For what purpose ? And if it happened then, and again, and again, and again, well, as my mother said, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

peace to you Jonadab,

christina

Jonadab,

edited because I lied, I have two questions, not one. The second question is: was or was not the teaching of the end of the world based on the measurements of a pyramid false prophesy ?

Edited by - deddaisy on 26 December 2002 3:54:30

Edited by - deddaisy on 27 December 2002 0:53:2

• Simon
    Simon

I think deddaisy is right - we are not going to convince each other but I think most arguments are really aimed at the fence-sitters who may be watching ...

The beliefs you listed jonadab, that haven't changed are:

• Right from the start there was emphasis given to using Jehovah's name.
  • The Trinity doctrine was exposed as false.
  • The condition of the dead.
  • The soul is the person themselves, not a part that leaves after death.
  • Hellfire and eternal torment is unscriptural.
  • The ransom sacrifice of Jesus.
  • Jesus return would be invisible.
  • 1914 would mark the end of the Gentile Times.
  • The last two are false - they believed he would come (they waited on the bridge in white sheets one day) and the 1914 date was combined much later (in the late 20's).

The use of Jehovahs name was not emphasised that much - I seem to remember the latest song book coming in 10 or 15 years ago with the reason that there were more songs glorifying Jesus than Jehovah in the old (bright purple) one (although I suspect it's because some of the songs had embarrassing bits in that were no longer believed)

The other beliefs do not mark them as anything different than many other religions and are just modern Christian teachings IMHO.

So, why would we think the WTS is gods channel on earth? Have they done anything special and have they stuck to any of the teachings than make them unique?

• Earnest
    Earnest

Simon,

The last two are false - they believed he would come (they waited on the bridge in white sheets one day) and the 1914 date was combined much later (in the late 20's).

Do you have a reference for the first of the above? I have always been under the impression that the "invisible presence" was originally thought to be true of 1874 and then 1878 which would place it some time before the beginning of the WTBTS.

Thanks,

Earnest

• rebel
    rebel

Someone mentioned on this board before that the 'FDS' are presumptious for thinking they are God's chosen spokespeople. When I think about it, it is blasphemous. Think about it - the old prophets of the OT told the truth as they received it from God. They were responsible and accountable for what they said. How on earth can the 'FDS' compare themselves with these ones? How dare they call themselves 'The Ezekiel', 'The Jeremiah', 'The John Class' - who do these people think they are? Ezekiel, Jeremiah and John did not make erroneous predictions and phrophesy falsely. The GB say they are NOT inspired - so how can uninspired men compare themselves to inspired men? Inspired men were given signs that they had God's approval. They were accoutable for ALL they preached and foretold. They had to weigh each announcement to see if it was God's will. Remember what Deuteronomy 18:20-22 says about false prophets!

Also, the early Christians did not have progressive light - they were taught by the apostles and believed them to be giving accurate information because it was accurate, They did not feel that their knowledge was being held back or restricted by these inspired men so that, in the future, it could be understood by uninspired men! How stupid is that? To say that the light gets brighter implies that the early Christians were in the dark - they weren't!

Plus - I hated the name 'Jehovah's Witness' - what is wrong with being called a Christian - it was good enough for Jesus' followers in the first century and onwards until the 20th century, so it is good enough for me.

Just had to get that off my chest.

xxR

• Jonadab
    Jonadab

deddaisy said:

One question though Jonadab. How in the world can you truly believe that Jehovah had Russell and co. believe in pyramids, only to later have them abandon the belief?

I don't believe that it was Jehovah who caused Russell to believe in pyramids. As I said before this was a popular concept at the time. Russell and others were sloughing off false religious ideas and this was one of them. There were many other things that were later abandoned. They still celebrated Christmas at first. This wasn't abandoned until Rutherford's time. It is common knowledge these days about the roots of this celebration.

Simon said:

I think deddaisy is right - we are not going to convince each other but I think most arguments are really aimed at the fence-sitters who may be watching

I must agree with you both. I wish that there was something I could do to convince you, but I will admit that the only ones here who would get anything out of this exchange are those 'fence-sitters' Simon mentioned. That was not my intention though. I did not come here to argue, but to answer some questions and hopefully give a different perspective on subjects under consideration. I will still look in and give a comment or two from time to time. I hope that is ok.

Peace to you too Christina.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Jonadab,

welcome to the board. I noticed one point in your list of beliefs that I would beg to differ on:

• Jesus return would be invisible.
  • They never taught that Jesus return was a future, invisible event. Russell first taught that Jesus would return in 1874. When this did not happen, he began claiming that Jesus had returned, but that his presence was invisible. Therefore, the Society has for most of its existence painted Jesus' return as an event that has already happened invisibly. For many years, the date given was 1874, then it was moved to 1914.

You also referred to the flood of Noah's day as proof that God would wipe out a world of wicked people. The only problem with this argument is that there is no evidence of a global flood, and much evidence that shows that it could not happen. It took me only an hour or two on the web to find overwhelming proof that the flood cannot be taken seriously.

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Jonadab, I have been reading your posts in utter amazement. Just reading your words sounds more to me like reading a publication from Watchtower Organization you claim is Jehovah's representative. Personally I don't believe such a corrupt money hungry, lawyer run Corporation built on lies could possibly have the backing of our Grand Creator. My question to you is, are you of the belief that is taught in the Watchtower that the "glorious ones" mentioned in Jude is actually elders???And anyone who speaks against these elders are comparable to Korah? Don't you think that it is a blatant lie that the Watchtower tells to it's members that elders are "glorious ones". And since they have done this doen't that make THEM apostate as well by teaching a false doctrine as they claim the other religions of Christendom has done? Watchtower has, by it's corrupt behaviour, and it's false teachings over the years is guilty by it's own standards. How do you explain them as "the truth", and your hope for the future, if what they teach is a lie. There elders are not glorious ones, they have lied. Their teachings do not identify them as the true religion that they claim they are.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, the 'Jesus invisible return" was an invention of necessity - they had publicised a certain date and it hadn't happened. To save face they came up with the notion that he had actually returned as they said ... except no one saw it (contrary to the scripture that says everyone will see it)

Much later they re-wrote what they believed to combine several hitherto separate dates such as the end of the gentile times and christs now invisible return into one date which they post-predicted to be 1914. Hell, something major had happened then so it seemed to be impressive ... except it was all after the event.

Funny, at my DA committee I brought up their dishonesty re: claims to have foretold Christs arrival in 1914 and took one of the books, the Harp of God, published in the 1920's as evidence (this still had the 1874 date) and it was still my fault for reading it and not the WTS fault for writing it. Even though I had indesputable proof in black and white published by the WTS themselves that was I was saying was 100% accurate ... it was still 'me' who was at fault, and not them.

• waiting
    waiting
    Even though I had indesputable proof in black and white published by the WTS themselves that was I was saying was 100% accurate ... it was still 'me' who was at fault, and not them. - simon

Well, ACTually, Simon..............anyone who publicly disagrees with the WTBTS, whether the person is right or wrong.....is found to be an apostate and would have formerly been disfellowshipped. Now, the elders deem that the independent thinking Jehovah's Witness "chooses to disassociate himself" - even if that same Jehovah's Witness adamently says he still wants to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Been going on for decades.

Proof: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=530&site=3

The Douglas Walsh Triah took place in 1954. The vice president of the WTBTS, Fred Franz, and the WTBTS Legal Counsel, Haydon Covington, each gave testimony before the British court.

Fred Franz and Haydon Covington were testifying that some of its members were ordained ministers.

The man asking the questions is attorney for the Ministry of Labour and National Service, part of which follows: (WT attorney Haydon Covington is answering)

Q. Is it not vital to speak the truth on religious matters?

A. It certainly is.

Q. Is there in your view room in a religion for a change of interpretation of Holy Writ from time to time?

A. There is every reason for a change in interpretation as we view it, of the Bible. Our view becomes more clear as we see the prophesy fulfilled by time.

Q. You have promulgated forgive the word false prophesy?

A. We have I do not think we have promulgated false prophesy, there have been statements that were erronious, that is the way I put it, and mistaken.

Q. Is it a most vital consideration in the present situation of the world to know if the prophesy can be interpreted into terms of fact, when Christs Second Coming was?

A. That is true, and we have always striven to see that we have the truth before we utter it. We go on the very best information we have but we cannot wait until we get perfect, because if we wait until we get perfect we would never be able to speak.

Q. Let us follow that up just a little. It was promulgated as a matter which must be believed by all members of Jehovahs Witnesses that the Lords Second Coming took place in 1874?

A. I am not familiar with that. You are speaking on a matter that I know nothing of.

Q. You heard Mr. Franzs evidence?

A. I heard Mr. Franz testify, but I am not familiar with what he said on that, I mean the subject matter of what he was talking about, so I cannot answer any more than you can, having heard what he said.

Q. Leave me out of it?

A. That is the source of my information, what I have heard in court.

Q. You have studied the literature of your movement?

A. Yes, but not all of it. I have not studied the seven volumes of "Studies in the Scriptures," and I have not studied this matter that you are mentioning now of 1874. I am not at all familiar with that.

Q. Assume from me that it was promulgated as authoritative by the Society that Christs Second Coming was in 1874?

A. Taking that assumption as a fact, it is a hypothetical statement.

Q. That was the publication of false prophesy?

A. That was the publication of a false prophesy, it was a false statement or an erronious statement in fulfilment of a prophesy that was false or erronious.

Q. And that had to be believed by the whole of Jehovahs Witnesses?

A. Yes, because you must understand we must have unity, we cannot have disunity with a lot of people going every way, an army is supposed to march in step.

Q. You do not believe in the worldly armies, do you?

A. We believe in the Christian Army of God.

Q. Do you believe in the worldly armies?

A. We have nothing to say about that, we do not preach against them, we merely say that the worldly armies, like the nations of the world today, are a part of Satans Organisation, and we do not take part in them, but we do not say the nations cannot have their armies, we do not preach against warfare, we are merely claiming our exemption from it, that is all.

Q. Back to the point now. A false prophesy was promulgated?

A. I agree that.

Q. It had to be accepted by Jehovahs Witnesses?

A. That is correct.

Q. If a member of Jehovahs Witnesses took the view himself that that prophesy was wrong and said so he would be disfellowshipped?

A. Yes, if he said so and kept persisting in creating trouble, because if the whole organisation believes one thing, even though it be erronious and somebody else starts on his own trying to put his ideas across then there is disunity and trouble, there cannot be harmony, there cannot be marching. When a change comes it should come from the proper source, the head of the organisation, the governing body, not from the bottom upwards, because everybody would have ideas, and the organisation would disintegrate and go in a thousand different directions. Our purpose is to have unity.

Q. Unity at all costs?

A. Unity at all costs, because we believe and are sure that Jehovah God is using our organisation, the governing body of our organisation to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time.

Q. And unity based upon an enforced acceptance of false prophecy?

A. That is conceded to be true.

Q. And the person who expressed his view, as you say, that it was wrong, and was disfellowshipped, would be in breach of the Covenant, if he was baptized?

A. That is correct.

Q. And as you said yesterday expressly, would be worthy of death?

A. I think

Q. Would you say yes or no?

A. I will answer yes, unhesitatingly.

Q. Do you call that religion?

A. It certainly is.

Q. Do you call it Christianity?

A. I certainly do.

"In practice, such trifles as contradictions in principle are easily set aside; the faculty of ignoring them makes the practical man." Henry Adams, The Education of Henry Adams

Fred Franz, then vice-president of the Society, also answered questions for the attorney for the Ministry of Labour and National Service.

Q. In addition to these regular publications do you prepare and issue a number of theological pamphlets and books from time to time?

A. Yes.

Q. Can you tell me this; are these theological publications and the semi-monthly periodicals used for discussion of statements of doctrine?

A. Yes.

Q. Are these statements of doctrine held to be authoritative within the Society?

A. Yes.

Q. Is their acceptance a matter of choice, or is it obligatory on all those who wish to be and remain members of the Society?

A. It is obligatory. . . . . . . . .

The British government counsellor later directed attention to certain teachings that the Society had in time rejected, including some involving specific dates. What, he asked, if someone, at the time when such teaching was promulgated, had seen the error in it and had therefore not accepted it? What would the organizations attitude toward such one be? The testimony explains:

Q. Did [Pastor Russell] not fix 1874 as some other crucial date?

A. 1874 used to be understood as the date of Jesus Second Coming spiritually.

Q. Do you say, used to be understood?

A. That is right.

Q. That was issued as a fact which was to be accepted by all who were Jehovahs Witnesses?

A. Yes.

Q. That is no longer now accepted, is it?

A. No.

. . . . . . . .

Q. But it was a calculation which is no longer accepted by the Board of Directors of the Society?

A. That is correct.

Q. So that am I correct, I am just anxious to canvas the position; it became the bounden duty of the Witnesses to accept this miscalculation?

A. Yes

. . . . . . . . .

Q. So that what is published as the truth today by the Society may have to be admitted to be wrong in a few years?

A. We have to wait and see.

Q. And in the meantime the body of Jehovahs Witnesses have been following error?

A. They have been following misconstructions on the Scriptures.

Q. Error?

A. Well, error.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald, Esquire

Again the question as to how great the authority attributed to the Societys publications is came in for discussion. While at one point the vice president says that "one does not compulsorily accept," his testimony thereafter reverts back to the earlier position, as can be seen: (Fred Franz still answering)

A. These [Watchtower Society] books give an exposition on the whole Scriptures.

Q. But an authoritative exposition?

A. They submit the Bible or the statements that are therein made, and the individual examines the statement and then the Scripture to see that the statement is Scripturally supported.

Q. He what?

A. He examines the Scripture to see whether the statement is supported by the Scripture. As the Apostle says: "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good".

Q. I understood the position to be do please correct me if I am wrong that a member of the Jehovahs Witnesses must accept as a true Scripture and interpretation what is given in the books I referred you to?

A. But he does not compulsorily do so, he is given his Christian right of examining the Scriptures to confirm that this is Scripturally sustained.

Q. And if he finds that the Scripture is not sustained by the books, or vice versa, what does he do?

A. The Scripture is there in support of the statement, that is why it is put there.

Q. What does a man do if he finds a disharmony between the Scripture and those books?

A. You will have to produce me a man who does find that, then I can answer, or he will answer.

Note Franzs waffling. He is unwilling, even under oath, to admit that present understanding can be in error, even though he just finished testifying that what is published as truth today may be error in a few years.

Q. Did you imply that the individual member has the right of reading the books and the Bible and forming his own view as to the proper interpretation of Holy Writ?

A. He comes

Q. Would you say yes or no, and then qualify?

A. No. Do you want me to qualify now?

Q. Yes, if you wish?

A. The Scripture is there given in support of the statement, and therefore the individual when he looks up the Scripture and thereby verifies the statement, then he comes to the Scriptural view of the matter, Scriptural understanding as it is written in Acts, the seventeenth chapter and the eleventh verse, that the Bereans were more noble than those of Thessalonica in that they received the Word with all readiness, and they searched the Scripture to see whether those things were so, and we instruct to follow that noble course of the Bereans in searching the Scripture to see whether these things were so.

Q. A Witness has no alternative, has he, to accept as authoritative and to be obeyed instructions issued in the "Watchtower" or the "Informant" or "Awake"?

A. He must accept those.

The full discussion, and Alan Feuerbacher's comments can be found at Research on the Watchtower. I thank him for his discussion.

Edited by - waiting on 26 December 2002 18:7:38

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit