Lurkers

by Yizuman 91 Replies latest jw friends

• deddaisy
    deddaisy
    Now, the elders deem that the independent thinking Jehovah's Witness "chooses to disassociate himself" - even if that same Jehovah's Witness adamently says he still wants to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Been going on for decades. ----------Waiting

"We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the society is the Lord's Channel...There should be full liberty of conscience."

Watchtower April 1, 1920 (p 100, 101)

I don't believe that it was Jehovah who caused Russell to believe in pyramids. As I said before this was a popular concept at the time. -----Jonadab

Jonadab, I don't know that it was Jehovah that caused Russell to believe in pyramids, but if Russell was directed by Jehovah, certainly Jehovah would have directed Russell away from teaching a false belief. Isn't this what is supposed to set God's organization apart from false religion, no false teachings ? Are you implying that God would allow his organization to teach what is false ? If so, then how was this any different than false religions? I added this question, too late, to my earlier post so I will ask it here: Would spreading the belief that the world would end at a certain date based on the measurements of a pyramid be considered false prophesying ?

As for this being a "popular concept" at the time, how is that relevant with God's earthly organization believing and teaching it ? And I personally have never heard of the "false" religions teaching about pyramids at that time or any time. Who or what other group based its teachings on pyramids at that time ?

I hope you stick around Jonadab.

peace, christina

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

Just imagine, if our grandparents, or parents or selves would have heard aboout the Douglas Walsh Trial in 1954, alot of doors would never have been opened and a majority of us would never have been exposed to the "truth." Thanks for posting that Waiting. I really wish all of this information was organized into "The Real Truth about the Truth" magazine.

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

Come on Jonadab, I know you've read this.

Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head ?---------------------------U2

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Maybe Jonadab is still researching.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: The beliefs you listed jonadab, that haven't changed are:

• Right from the start there was emphasis given to using Jehovah's name.
  • No, actually the emphasis was given on using the name "Jehovah" for God's name. Nothing unique about that. Other religions use it, and most informed people know that "Yahweh" is likely closer to the original name for your tribal God. It wasn't Russell who emphasized that name, but that alcoholic scumbag Joseph Franklin Rutherford who turned it into a sort of magic mantra, that if uttered enough by his followers would somehow help people gain salvation.

• The Trinity doctrine was exposed as false.
  • That's not a belief. That's a disbelief. I don't have to go around telling everyone that I don't believe all dogs have five legs, do I? Besides that plenty of other Christian faiths don't believe in the Trinity, either. Take the Unitarians, for example. Why do you think they are call UNItarians?

:The condition of the dead.

That's also a disbelief in say the existence of hell as a fiery place. See my comment above.

• The soul is the person themselves, not a part that leaves after death.
  • That's also a disbelief in immortality of the soul. See above.

• Hellfire and eternal torment is unscriptural.
  • Yet another disbelief. These are not "doctrines" nor are they "beliefs." Not believing in something is NOT a belief. I don't know how much more simple I can explain it.

• The ransom sacrifice of Jesus.
  • That IS a belief and pretty idiotic one, too! The "ransom" was "paid" 2,000 years ago, and God still hasn't kept his end of the bargain. We should have all be made perfect again 2,000 years ago and perhaps given a test similar to the one Adam and Eve had, but NO! Two HUNDRED CENTURIES later, dubs are still thanking God for not delivering his end of the deal when he received his blood money from Jesus' death.

: Jesus return would be invisible.

Re-read Matthew 24 and tell us the EXACT verse that clearly states what the "sign" of Christ's coming/presence would be. If you're too lazy to do so, take your own NWT out and find the verse that says he would come in the clouds and EVERY eye would see him, not just a few eyes, not just half the eyes, but ALL the eyes from everyone would see him. Invisible, my butt. Not according to the Bible.

• 1914 would mark the end of the Gentile Times.
  • Explain to us how you can connect Jesus' statement about the end of the Gentile Times with Daniel's prophecy in chapter 4 of his book, written centuries earlier and to be fulfilled nearly 2,000 years AFTER Jesus mentioned the Gentile Times. Jesus doesn't connect them, no other verse connects them, no other Bible writer connects them. Only the Watchtower society connects them. Justify how they can connect them, then.

Farkel

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

just dropping by to see if any word from Jonadab......Well, Jonadab, this lyric:

Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head ?---------------------------U2

wasn't quoted to offend you. Its intended purpose was to inquire of your intent in posting, or not posting. If your intent wasn't to "play Jesus to the lepers in your head," or witness to apostates, than it was to converse and learn our opinions, correct ? My questions were honest questions that I am not able to ask family members without putting them on the defensive. I only wanted an honest opinion. No need to be prove anyone right or wrong. I just wanted to explain my last post. Peace in your cyber- travels.

christina

• waiting
    waiting

howdy again, Farkel,

The Trinity doctrine was exposed as false. -jonadab

That's not a belief. That's a disbelief. I don't have to go around telling everyone that I don't believe all dogs have five legs, do I? -farkel

Well, I never thought about that. JW's disbelieve the trinity doctrine. That's not a belief. How interesting.

- Besides that plenty of other Christian faiths don't believe in the Trinity, either. Take the Unitarians, for example. Why do you think they are call UNItarians? - farkel

Actually, I never thought about that one either. I didn't think the UNItarians actually believed in much of anything. My sister knows a Unitarian quite well, and he's an atheist - but he likes his church.

Thanks.

Hey Jonadab! Hope you come back, or are at least reading this thread. It's a good one. Very few of us, including me, have figured most of this stuff out. We're still learning - but we're free to learn now. We're free to take in information as we please, to think about it, agree or disagree, and then move on. You can't do that as a jw. You must agree, or at the very least, stay very secret if you don't.

Take care - we were all where you're at now.

waiting

• deddaisy
    deddaisy
    I didn't think the UNItarians actually believed in much of anything. My sister knows a Unitarian quite well, and he's an atheist - but he likes his church.

Waiting, actually I attend a Unitarian-Universalist Church once in awhile and that's what is different about it, there is no rigid set of beliefs. Most of the people I know that attend do not accept the Trinity, hell, etc. It is more of a "thinking" church. Beliefs are open for discussion. Anyone can give a talk or sermon regarding the topic of his choice. It is the exact opposite of the WTS. One would think that such an unstructured belief system would draw a bizarre crowd, but the people seem to be very interesting, thinkers. Actually I believe Ben Franklin and/or Thomas Jefferson may have been Unitarians or something similar.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Jonadab..... Keep speaking the words of Truth and don't worry about all the detractors. Thank-you for your posts, and don't get discouraged. This fence-sitter hears you, some others might too. Knowledge is like a river, when shallow it babbles, when deeper it quietens and flows Scott

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Hey Jonadab!

I have two questions for you:

1. Are you counting time with all of us on the forum here????

2. And have you told your elders how you are spending your time?

ESTEE

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit