Won't get fooled again ...Moon Landing.

by The Rebel 579 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

TR: That's why I am pleased that one of the good things that has come indirectly from starting this thread, is that my child's class are going to debate the issue, as a school project. ( The class is made up of 9 & 10 year olds)

Elementary school kids are going to debate whether or not the US landed humans on the moon?

As a professional educator, all I can say is this: That is really stupid!

Where do you live, Niger?

• Viviane
  • prologos
    prologos
    freeminsfade. In all the other images, he is conspicuous by being in civvies. It took guts and personal important to show your ambivalence to Nazi protocol. That dark, perhaps deliberately shosen uniform shows him to be of the Rank and File not a leader.
    We had in our boarding school a student of Nobel prize family fame VON LAUE, who never showed up in Uniform with the Swastika and rank markings.
    Having lived through those times, many people did their work for it's own importance not because of a passion for the Nazi cause or ideas. IMHO. so
    Did he help to build those propulsion systems, but they failed to land on the moon? after the Russians had already landed a rover? or it is the pictures that were faked?
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

He was the equivalent of a U.S. major, you say he was rank and file???

He was a very intelligent person and didn't think much of Hitler. I think it is safe to say you are just restated my opinion that science and government will get in bed together even though they are operating on the same goal with different motive. I personally have no problem with the guy, he wa a nazi, then he wasn't, now he's dead, and we have been to the moon. Its all good.

in 2002 a former SS officer at Peenemünde told the BBC that von Braun had regularly worn the SS uniform to official meetings. He began as an Untersturmführer (Second lieutenant) and was promoted three times by Himmler, the last time in June 1943 to SS-Sturmbannführer (major).
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Oubliette you say are a " professional " educator,. I assume you consider yourself a good one?

We would both agree it's a wonderful privalige to have an education, which is something denied the children in " Niger"

However privaliged education often results in nothing more than getting " jobs with the boys" and making money.

But back on topic, from your post, you say you are a " professional" educator. Am i correct from your post that according to you children of elementary school can not debate the moon landing?

Why?

if children of 10 can learn to copy a Rembrant why can't they learn to question?

if children of 10 can be taught to play chess to a high standard why can't a child of 10 be taught " The Answers Exist" it's the " Questions, that do not"

How old was Anne Frank when she started her diary? 14 I believe.

How old was Mesi when he made his professional debut? 14 I believe.

Romeo and Juliette, although fictional were 14.

And I believe kids can do wonderful things at fourteen because in the course of those 4 years between 10 and 14, they thrived on being challenged and taught by those I call "professional" educators be it parents or teachers at school.

You as a " professional" educator seem to think I am really stupid. Why?

Oubliettte i admit I probably do not fit in to your intellectual snobbery, but I have a successful marriage, a well balanced child of 10 who can fish, play football and can question. I can play guitar, sell my art so I don't need to work. I have my mortgage paid off, whatever...I can also believe the UNIVERSES may be flat, and question that man landed on the moon.

Anyway my question to you Oubliette, why have you on each post you have made on this thread tried to undermine my point of view, and make me look foolish on a wide world web? To me this is not how a professional educator behaves.

The Rebel.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    We would both agree it's a wonderful privalige to have an education, which is something denied the children in " Niger"
    However privaliged education often results in nothing more than getting " jobs with the boys" and making money.

However? There is no point/counter-point there, just your low opinion of education, work and money.

If children of 10 can learn to copy a Rembrant why can't they learn to question?

Because "just asking questions" isn't learning to question. It teaching them that it's OK to be stupid.

if children of 10 can be taught to play chess to a high standard why can't a child of 10 be taught " The Answers Exist" it's the " Questions, that do not"

They already are. That's called Sunday School, Vacation Bible School and church. We need less of that and more critical thinking.

Most likely the mountains of evidence you keep providing supporting that notion.

I probably do not fit in to your intellectual snobbery

It's snobbish to learn things and to know how to think? That, in a nutshell, is your problem.

but I have a successful marriage, a well balanced child of 10 who can fish, play football and can question. I can play guitar, sell my art so I don't need to work. I have my mortgage paid off, whatever...I can also believe the UNIVERSES may be flat, and question that man landed on the moon.

So, you complain about jobs and money, then brag about your job and how you've managed to pay off a mortgage. That right there is a major facepalm for you. Or at least is should be. Also, none of those thinks involves critical thinking skills and thus are irrelevant to the topic.

why have you on each post you have made on this thread tried to undermine my point of view, and make me look foolish on a wide world web?

Oh, he's not the one making you look foolish on the world wide web.

To me this is not how a professional educator behaves.

Why not? You're learning something, so it seems he is doing his job (gratis, no less).

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks Vivianne.

My post was however directed at Oubliette, but as they say great minds think a like.

My attitude to jobs and money,is find something that you love to do, live largely on little and appreciate health is wealth..

I think the above posts were a little off topic.

The Rebel.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    My post was however directed at Oubliett

It's on a public discussion forum, you don't get to choose who responds.

My attitude to jobs and money,is find something that you love to do, live largely on little and appreciate health is wealth..

That's fine for you, however you took an attitude of disdain towards jobs, making money and education. Apparently your attitude is also "attempt to publicly shame those who make different choices".

I think the above posts were a little off topic.

Agreed. That was valuable time you could have spent doing moon landing research. Waste not, want not.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Am i correct from your post that according to you children of elementary school can not debate the moon landing?

Yes you are.

Why?

I already answered that: it's a stupid subject to debate. But I'm not surprised you don't get it. We're on page 42 of this thread and you still don't get it.

I hope you've laid in a good supply of tin-foil hats.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

if children of 10 can learn to copy a Rembrant why can't they learn to question?

No reason. But one has nothing to do with the other. Also, learning to question is not the same as wasting time debating ridiculous conspiracy theories.

By the way, there's a "D" in Rembrandt. Look it up.

Does that make sense to you? That question is incoherent. You're scaring me!

How old was Anne Frank when she started her diary? 14 I believe.

Well that's irrelevant.

How old was Mesi when he made his professional debut? 14 I believe.

Do you mean the soccer player? What the heck does he have to do with the subject under discussion?!? More irrelevant nonsense.

That's a major WTF!

Romeo and Juliette, although fictional were 14.

Are you seriously citing fictional characters to support your point?

Since you brought them up: you do know they killed themselves, don't you?

I'm pretty sure I've never called you stupid. I think this conspiracy theory of yours is stupid and I also think the idea of having 14 year old kids debate it in school is stupid.

Which brings up a good point: you obviously misunderstood my objection to having 14 year olds debate the moon landing. It has nothing to do with their age. It is because IT IS A STUPID SUBJECT TO DEBATE! Do you get it now?

[I highlighted it, made it bold, italicized, CAPITALIZED and in RED]. If you don't get it now, you never will.

BTW, why do you put "professional" in quotes. Don't you believe me? I don't doubt you're who and what you say your are.

Oubliettte i admit I probably do not fit in to your intellectual snobbery ...

So now I"m a "snob" because I don't agree with you and think you've floated some ridiculous ideas.

Why don't you discuss the SUBJECT and not the person. Ad hominem attacks are insipid.

(BTW, there are only two "T's" in my moniker.)

I have a successful marriage, a well balanced child of 10 who can fish, play football and can question. I can play guitar, sell my art so I don't need to work. I have my mortgage paid off, whatever

Good for you. However, it's just more irrelevant data.

I'm a gourmet cook, an accomplished amateur photographer and a fantastic lover.

I am also a published poet and journalist.

As an educator, I've had students attend a variety of distinguished institutions of higher education: UCLA, Boston University, Berklee College of Music, Berkeley University, San Francisco State University, just to mention a few. One my former students was just offered and accepted a doctoral research Fellowship at the University of California, Riverside. His research area is Molecular Biology.

Since you're bringing up music, I've written music for film, television and the theater and have performed in a wide variety of studio and live ensembles.

A prolific composer, I have had several of my orchestral compositions performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.The recording was done at Abbey Road Studios in London, Simon Rhodes engineered and Brynmore Llewelyn Jones conducted.

What, do you want to start measuring dick sizes next?

...I can also believe the UNIVERSES may be flat, and question that man landed on the moon.

Believe what you want. Believing doesn't make it so.

This is one of the key things to be learned here in this forum for ex- and wannabe ex-JWs.

Have the courage and intellectual honesty to understand that.

Anyway my question to you Oubliette, why have you on each post you have made on this thread tried to undermine my point of view, and make me look foolish on a wide world web?

I have not made you look foolish. You've done that all by yourself.

As to why do I keep posting? Because you keep PMing me and inviting me back. Doh!

You must have some serious unresolved masochistic tendencies.

To me this is not how a professional educator behaves.

Really? How would you know? This isn't school and you're not my student.

As Viviane pointed out above, this is an internet "public discussion" forum. You post, we respond. You don't like it, quit reading and continuing the discussion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit