Won't get fooled again ...Moon Landing.

by The Rebel 579 Replies latest jw friends

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Something tells me Viviane has a way... could it be... google??

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

After World War II drew to a close in the mid-20th century, a new conflict began. Known as the Cold War, this battle pitted the world’s two great powers–the democratic, capitalist United States and the communist Soviet Union–against each other. Beginning in the late 1950s, space would become another dramatic arena for this competition, as each side sought to prove the superiority of its technology, its military firepower and–by extension–its political-economic system....

By landing on the moon, the United States effectively “won” the space race that had begun with Sputnik’s launch in 1957. For their part, the Soviets made four failed attempts to launch a lunar landing craft between 1969 and 1972, including a spectacular launch-pad explosion in July 1969. From beginning to end, the American public’s attention was captivated by the space race, and the various developments by the Soviet and U.S. space programs were heavily covered in the national media. This frenzy of interest was further encouraged by the new medium of television. Astronauts came to be seen as the ultimate American heroes, and earth-bound men and women seemed to enjoy living vicariously through them. Soviets, in turn, were pictured as the ultimate villains, with their massive, relentless efforts to surpass America and prove the power of the communist system.

With the conclusion of the space race, U.S. government interest in lunar missions waned after the early 1970s. In 1975, the joint Apollo-Soyuz mission sent three U.S. astronauts into space aboard an Apollo spacecraft that docked in orbit with a Soviet-made Soyuz vehicle. When the commanders of the two crafts officially greeted each other, their “handshake in space” served to symbolize the gradual improvement of U.S.-Soviet relations in the late Cold War-era.

http://www.history.com/topics/space-race

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Interesting, Vietnam wasn't mentioned in that text.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

That is a correct fact Mrs Viviane

My mistake, I was referring to a broad array of Merican things it distracted from, Vietnam lumped in, but not singled out. Your comment I took as the broad picture, "Merica, F%#k yea!", and not specifically Vietnam. I hope once again you forgive my infinite ignorance, let do some more googling I never thought I'd have to do.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts is a book by Andrew Chaikin.

The whole Apollo program/space race provided relief.

Jim Lovell said this in the Apollo 8 mission:

"To see the earth as it truly is, small blue and beautiful in that eternal silence where it floats, is to see ourselves as riders on the earth together, brothers on that bright loveliness in the eternal cold—brothers who know now they are truly brothers."

Andrew said this in his book.

This transcendent idea stood in stark contrast to the previous events of 1968. the nation was becoming increasingly divided over such issues as the escalation of the Vietnam War, racial tensions, and the troubles of the inner cities.in a year that saw more than its share of horrors, including the assassinations of martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert Kennedy, Apollo 8 provided an uplifting end. one of the countless telegrams received by the astronauts after their return said, “You saved 1968.”

With the moon landing of Apollo 11 people got a break, and a distraction, still even after 11 things started to slide back and people became divided over Vietnam and also started seeing the NASA program and military use of technology as connected. But in his book he admits:

"...apollo’s successes had briefly raised the national mood..."

The moon landing didn't end the war and problems of america, but the race to the moon gave a distraction.

• Viviane
    Viviane

The implication made many pages ago via the "I'm just asking questions" fallacy was that Apollo was implemented to distract from Vietnam and that there was money flowing into NASA to keep it going to that end.

You've shown that two important things were going on at the same time and that Americans can't, in general, hold more than one thing in their head at a time, which no one has ever denied.

• kepler
    kepler

Apollo had its roots in a Kennedy speech in September of1962, to land a man on the moon in a decade.

Recalling that there was a film about faking a landing on Mars called Capricorn One, I refreshed my memory looking at the Wikipedia articles on the film and the issue of the fake lunar landing. Oddly enough, it looks like the writers and directors of the fake Mars landing had a complicated relationship with NASA and lunar program. To produce the fake Mars landing film many NASA and contractor simulation facilities were used. So consequently when the film hit the screen, a number of people thought: Could the lunar landing have been faked as well?

It could. But once you admit that you don't have verification of everything, you could just as well argue that the astronauts went somewhere else when they orbited behind the moon.

After all, their signals were repeatedly lost for nearly an hour!

• kepler
    kepler

This might be a repeat. I stepped away from my desk and the text was gone.

Some time last night I remembered a 1970s film about faking a NASA crew landing on Mars shortly after the Viking landers in 76. The film was called Capricorn One and the director was Peter Hyams. Looking a Wikipedia articles about it and the growth of the lunar landing conspiracy theory, it seemed like they had an interesting cross fertilization, including Carpicorn One's access to NASA and contractor simulation facilities for either type of mission (Viking or Apollo).

Suffice to say, that since that time our abilities to simulate other things could make the historical record and simulations more blurry. Perhaps all our recorded history was really concocted in studios - including old newsreels.

But for the time being, given that we are talking about the implications of not having evidence in our hands, I would like to point out some another potential problem. After all, if a spacecraft is in orbit around the moon - and especially in the era of 1968 to 1972, there is no communication with the spacecraft when it is on the other side.

What could be going on with the spacecraft and its crew when every other hour it is lost from contact behind the moon?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Apollo had its roots in a Kennedy speech in September of1962, to land a man on the moon in a decade.

It was actually conceived of and planning began in 1960 during the Eisenhower administration.

After all, their signals were repeatedly lost for nearly an hour!

Yes they were. Often expectedly so.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Suffice to say, that since that time our abilities to simulate other things could make the historical record and simulations more blurry. Perhaps all our recorded history was really concocted in studios - including old newsreels.

How is that "suffice to say"?

What could be going on with the spacecraft and its crew when every other hour it is lost from contact behind the moon?

What could be going on with aliens kidnapping you while you're unconscious for several hours every night? I'm just asking questions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit