Labeling one self "Atheist" is Unscientific

by LAWHFol 449 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

let me derail this thing a little more since nobody is answering Cofty,

Atheism is not tantamount to science, brilliant observation in the OP, as we have seen, its just a label used to define. with that out of the way...

which have had a greater impact on the progress of science? Atheist? or Theists? Which have done more to inhibit science?

Now some of the early scientists/thinkers who suggested things like the sun being at the center, not the earth, and the universe being much grander, and who were also persecuted by the church as heretics, were theists. But overall...

which has had a greater impact on the progress of science? Atheist/atheism? or Theists/theism? Which has done more to inhibit science?

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    1. 'agrumentum ad ignorantum' is used everyday as a part of scientific discovery.

So you think science is using a fallacy to derive theories? To make the ramification clear: (I am using exaggerated examples that are more likely to be in science and to make my point clear)

"There is no evidence for aliens, therefore aliens don't exist. Therefore we will not look for alien life because we know it does not exist."

"There is no evidence for ghosts, therefore ghosts don't exist. Therefore we will not investigate the claim that a house is haunted because we know that it cant be."

Or a few hundred years ago:

"There is no evidence for (the idea of bacteria), therefore (the idea of bacteria) don't exist. Therefore we will not investigate (the idea of bacteria)"

2. One does not consider a possible cause for which there is no evidence as a valid contributing factor.

I agree!

3. One always remains open to new evidence.

I agree! But how can you say that I you are sure that fairies don't exist? Or are you not really sure?

How can the label of atheism possibly be unscientific when it is applying part of everyday scientific method?

It is? What you are describing is Gnosticism.

Also Atheism is not unscientific nor is it scientific. It is lack of belief.

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    How, therefore, can atheism be unscientific? Surely the atheist position is in line with all the available evidence?

Atheism is not unscientific nor is it scientific. It is lack of belief.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Atheism is not unscientific nor is it scientific. It is lack of belief

now that I like. Why couldn't you have said that the fist comment after the op!! Lol. We could have avoided all this.

The OP is crap for insinuating

Atheism = Science!

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    Agnosticism is part of atheism, to a lesser or greater extent, depending on the individual.

Agnosticism/Gnosticism (the two extremes) are part of all belief systems or lack thereof. Theist, Deists etc

I don't know if you guys are familiar with this picture but it explains the relationship all these labels have:

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

From the OP:- "Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities

As others have said, atheism doesn't mean rejection of belief in god but simply without belief in god. Just about the only time 'atheist' and 'rejection of god' go together is when a hitherto theist abandons belief in god (to a theist, seemingly involving a firm rejection of god) and 'converts' to atheism.

This OP seems to be looking at atheism through the lens of theism.

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    now that I like. Why couldn't you have said that the fist comment after the op!! Lol. We could have avoided all this.

It is probably the tenth time I have said it, it just gets drowned in the replies

The OP is crap for insinuating

Atheism = Science!

One of the points I have tried to convey :P

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Nice chart. Who is the "god" ?
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    1. 'agrumentum ad ignorantum' is used everyday as a part of scientific discovery.
    2. One does not consider a possible cause for which there is no evidence as a valid contributing factor.
    Did you intend to contradict yourself?
  • C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    Nice chart. Who is the "god" ?

Theism refers to a theistic God, but I think any God would do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit