Thinking about Bill Bowen...

by Pathofthorns 112 Replies latest jw friends

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Trauma Hound- I never mentioned your name- I do not recall you having been part of the things that were said. As a supporter of abuse victims who has not lied about others you should not take offense. There are many good hearted people- well meaning- that show great support for the silent lambs program. It is too bad that some who are taking the lead in the program have chosen to use the silent lambs vehicle to spread untruths about others. It is equally of no value to use a positive effort to throw out accusations that are false or unprovable.

I have noted that the national press in this country has stood clear of broadcasting stories about the silent lambs WT abuse victims while they nationally broadcast catholics picketing- given that earlier on the momentum was gaining- I have to wonder if the movement (silent lambs) has suffered a credibility crisis with the american press. Could it be that, like many here, the well trained, experienced news media shyed away because of the freely thrown accusations- that if provable and vaild would have drawn great continued media attention? The media does their own investigations as they cover stories. Just because a handful of people stand up and make statements does not mean that it is taken as fact at face value. Though pediphile issues exist in the WT and the two witness rule is applied by thier judicial committees- Silent Lambs founder and spokeman Bill Bowen with supporters has thrown out figures, accusations and charges against individual GB members as well as local congregation elders and ex-jws in such a way that has diminished the credibility of himself and his cause. In other words IMHO things have been thrown out a bit to freely- The circumstances of abuse are very serious- the charges are very serious and the feelings of abuse victims- both sexual and emotional- suffered by all ex-jws- is very real and equally serious. Many spend much time on this board and others like it because they suffered abuse of all sorts from the WT and their policies. Lost family members, lost friends and in the case of Mr Franz- lost careers- wasted lives. To not be empathetic toward ALL who have suffered WT abuse and to not be forgiving toward ALL for the actions and and support they gave the WT for many years of their lives is hypocritical. To put oneself in a leadership capacity and not have these qualities and have this understanding makes one as bad as the WT itself. How many here suffered from lies and rumors within the congregations? How many here had motives imputed and were marked due to unfounded gossip? Is such talk now- outside the organization- any less damaging than it was within the organization? Especially for those with tender hearts who are still recovering from the WT abuse? Many find needed fellowship and a certain amount of solice here and within silent lambs.org. Do any of us need lies and wild accusations to make us heal or to make us hate the WT even more? Though I am certain that sexual abuse occurs within the WT, life has taught me not to get caught up in fervor without facts. I am deeply saddened about the things that have happened and the policies of the WT that we all here suffered from. Likewise I do not want to become like those that we would condemn for bad practice. I am sure that many here sat in front of three elders and begged and cried and poured thier hearts out only to be shunned by all that they loved. We felt betrayed because rumor and false accusations took precedence over truth or heartfelt expressions of self defense.

• Brumm
    Brumm

Brummie.....I know, I'm a nasty nasty man....I guess there's more than two witnesses here, so the Elders have me by the........toes?

Rev I was only joking about the "nasty" bit, fjtoth got as good as he gave, it was said in regards to how nice I was to fjtoth.

British dry humour, (lol at the 2 witness crack)

Brummie

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I know you were joking Brumm, at least I was hoping you were, haha

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hawkaw,

I didn't read this before Island Woman, or may be I did but your request was in one long thread. I will look into this situation for you Island Woman. I assume this has to deal with Bill's dfing process?

Thank you. I was referring to the Judicial meeting in Kentucky that Bill spoke of in his "Governing Body Summoned For Jud Hearing" thread. I would appreciate knowing what happened.

I agree with you, those who may be called as witnesses in the abuse trials against the Watchtower should be careful what they say publicly. Thank you for the info. Most of us have no experience with that, I personally would never have thought about it. Your experience is worth gold to the Silentlambs Org.

Bill's letter to the GB informing them of a Judicial meeting convening to decide their guilt and therefore worthiness to maintain their positions was also imo a mistake. To outsiders this could make Silentlambs Org. look like a "front" whose real purpose is to take down the Watchtower Org. We know that's not the case but to others it may just look that way. But, I could be all wrong about that. Nothing new!

Thanks again,

IW

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Oh!!!

The one that Bill started for the Governing Body.

A number of us gave input into Bill with repect to whether we thought it was a good or bad idea. I kinda thought it might give some press play and help the press understand what the GB does to people like you if it was done properly. But a good friend of Bill's who has more experience thought it wasn't so hot. The liklihood was that you would only see the local press attend if it happened. Also a lot of people, like yourself also voiced serious concerns on this site and through Email.

Thus, Bill decided to go in another direction and stopped the JC dead in its tracks.

Hope that is what you were looking for.

Take care

hawk

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Thanks Hawkaw.

IW

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Kelsey

I have noted that the national press in this country has stood clear of broadcasting stories about the silent lambs WT abuse victims while they nationally broadcast catholics picketing- given that earlier on the momentum was gaining- I have to wonder if the movement (silent lambs) has suffered a credibility crisis with the american press.
    That is complete and utter hogwash, the videos on my site, prove your full of shit! I was one of those that put together a local press conferences. Don't believe go to the silent lambs sight and click on media, and what about international shows, like panorama, the show in Australia, in Denmark. Connie Chung on CNN, all the local coverage. Do you have blinders on?
  • Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

While I would not say that the media coverage of the JW scandal is nonexistent, I would say that it is significantly less than the time and effort given to the Catholic Church. This is to be expected. Why you may ask?

http://www.futurechurch.org/newsletter/spring01/

There are now 1.038 billion Catholics in the world but only 405,009 priests, many of whom are aged. In the U.S. there are more priests over 90 than under 30 according to a recent study by U.S.bishops. Vatican statistics also report that of the 3.86 million people working in ministry, 2.44 million are lay catechists. Presumably many of these would accept ordination were it open to them.

There are over 1 BILLION, that is 1,000,000,000 Catholics in the world, versus a measly 6 MILLION or so JW's.

That is 1,000,000,000 vs 6,000,000. You do the math.

And the JW scandal HAS received a considerable amount of coverage from a number of communicative arenas. These include very reputable journalism programs which reach millions of people in primetime television:

• BBC Panorama
    • Dateline NBC
    • Connie Chung Tonight

One must keep in mind that for someone personally affected by the JW religion, this would be a topic much more dear to them. But for the 5+ BILLION who have never been JW's, the JW's are nothing more than the butt of many a "knocking on your door on Saturday morning" joke.

The majority of the world considers the JW's a joke. It is only in their own minds and rhetoric that there is a self-perceived importance.

Edited by - Reborn2002 on 22 November 2002 17:33:35

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Trauma- Sure I noted the dateline show and the Connie Chung show. I also noted the media attention in the media overseas- this is why I said "national media" in this country- after the dateline show and connie chung little or no media (national) attention has been given in THIS country. Yes- some local media. No national coverage on the march that I know of. And no trauma- did not know that you had your own site. And, after having visited the silentlambs.org site in previous months I have not been back since. But, I do scan the major news papers almost daily and watch many of the major cable network news channels. I also scan these sites and followup on stories posted here. Since the connie chung show I have not noticed any national coverage nor has any been brought to my attention. After the NY march no national coverage was brought- Not even the New York Times covered the story and they had carried articles about silent lambs in the past- prior to the march. If there has been more current -national- in the USA coverage- as I was referring to in my post- please advise me where, I would like to see. I am not speaking of local channel 11 stuff or the Press Gazette out of Milton, Fl.

As I re read my post that you are referring to I can see that my wording was not good in regard to the media. I hope that this along with the context of my post clarifys my point. What I was trying to point out was that after the mementum and yes the couple of national news shows suddenly it looked as if the major news shows dropped coverage of the story. And the added point that if the facts were there to back up all the accusations I persoanlly think that the media would have stayed on the case. I regret that this is all that seems to have been gained from my post.

No, renborn, the WT is not anything near the size of the catholic org. Though I am already aware of the great difference in size between the two I am sure that those who were not are greatful for your figures. My point again is that regardless of the smaller size of the WT if and that is IF the allegations about the GB and thousands of others is accurate and true as stated by the spokesman for silent lambs the media would still have focused on the story. Believe me even the small church in Georgia stayed in the national media when abuse was uncovered. The media looks for FACT to back up their story. My belief is that the media found fact for SOME of the allegations but also found that many allegations were being thrown that could not be proved. If all these allegations had validity in the eyes of the media they would have hounded the WT to no end regardless of thier small size in numbers.

Edited by - kelsey007 on 22 November 2002 19:14:57

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

kelsey007 said:

if and that is IF the allegations about the GB and thousands of others is accurate and true as stated by the spokesman for silent lambs the media would still have focused on the story.

Are you saying you are not sure whether or not you believe Bill Bowen when he says that the Governing Body and the Elders have covered up molesters?

If that is what you are saying, then I've got news for you.

It has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, by using only Watchtower Quotes, that the Watchtower Organization has intentionally protected child molesters and rapists and punished and silenced the victims.

I am working on a Thread which will show this very clearly, using only Watchtower Quotes.

I am making this Thread with the Media/Press in mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit