Royal Commission live Today

by LostinJapan 175 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Dumplin
    Dumplin

billy - it is the "evidence of virginity" that is taken into account"

I wonder if they let a woman check that or the dirty older men had to according to scriptural procedures

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

Exactly Ex Bethelite Billy. Just like their reference literature is confusing, so is the whole religion...they've always had a hard time deciding whether they were a New Testament religion or an Old Testament one.

So they've settled for there own brand of Christianity applied with an archaic Judaic mentality.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

what's the difference? a rape is a rape

DO NOT ANGER THE BRONZE AGE DESERT GOD WITH YOUR IMPERTINENCE! If the girl is a virgin and engaged, she is already "sold". If the girl is a virgin and not engaged, she's for sale to the first rapist.

That's why parents would get their daughters engaged as soon as they were born.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Billy... the Bozos that quoted Deut so many times with regard to "two witnesses" were just that.. because, as we all know, the same line of reasoning is used in the Greek scriptures, right?

In fact, when that elder Eli? da Rooy? returned from lunch, he had been tutored, and used the Greek scrips to discount the judges come back of "well, would you stone someone to death too?"

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I wonder if they let a woman check that or the dirty older men had to according to scriptural procedures

It's always the older men of the city that do the pelvic exams of the validity of virginity, of course. The women are all at home making dinner for the menfolk... you know, to keep the women busy so they aren't all gossiping.

• Dumplin
    Dumplin

@ Billy ROFL!!! "DO NOT ANGER THE BRONZE AGE DESERT GOD WITH YOUR IMPERTINENCE! If the girl is a virgin and engaged, she is already "sold". If the girl is a virgin and not engaged, she's for sale to the first rapist."

It's always the older men of the city that do the pelvic exams of the validity of virginity, of course. The women are all at home making dinner for the menfolk... you know, to keep the women busy so they aren't all gossiping.

Monty Python much? LOL

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Dumplin:

what's the difference? a rape is a rape

In the Bible what counts is who is being raped. If it's the wife or fiancée of another man the rape is seen as an affront to the man (i.e. the owner of the woman) and merits the death penalty.

If it's a single woman, she is technically the property of her father who ordinarily would get a price for giving (selling) his daughter into marriage. If she were to be raped however, she would no longer be virgin and that would make her, in a manner of speaking, spoiled merchandise. (No man would pay full price for a non-virgin wife, in fact a woman who is not virgin on her wedding night was to be executed - Deuteronomy 22:13-21). Therefore the rapist has to pay the full price of a bride to her father and is stuck with her.

Like the old saying, you break it, you buy it.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

the same line of reasoning is used in the Greek scriptures

The Greek scriptures say not to lie, to protect the little sheep, to look after orphans and widows, and to be obedient to governments and authorities--WT doesn't do that, so why do they care about the 2 witness rule?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    He keeps saying the "judicial committee" process cannot change as it is based on the Scriptures. Where in the Scriptures does the term "judicial committee" appear, where does it outline the rules for it to be held by 3 elders in a closed forum?
  • Dumplin
    Dumplin

Oh now i get it. you break it you buy it.

So maybe polygamy will be addressed in the new elders handbook? since in Case 29 the men were already married when they did the molesting. New light! Now married elders who rape can buy a younger wife, YEA!

I liked McLellens comment just before lunch: you understand the bible was written in a particular socio cultural period and things change over time. Do JWs keep up or adjust with the times? Something like that.

I too am amazed at how sharp the commission is - but also how SENSITIVE they are. Something else the GB needs to change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit