JW/HLC visit to our hospital

by ScoobySnax 48 Replies latest watchtower medical

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Thanks for all your replies to the post......I think many of you are way off mark in continuing to look for some hidden devious reasons as to why the HLC donated this machine from donations given by local congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses........ Of course the machine will be of benefit to JWs primarily, because of their stand on the blood issue, but there are many others too who refuse blood for other medical/health reasons.....these people will benefit too. It was interesting to see the reaction of medical professionals in attendance to the donation of the cell saver machine, they were very interested and acknowledged that transfusion of blood is becoming increasingly risky due to new strains of contamination, Bloodless Surgery is becoming the way forward, particularly in the field in which I work. Possible infection, side effects and longer recovery periods post surgery are well known, as well of the cost factor (always a prevalent thought in the NHS!) Any machine which benefits people regardless of the reasons is welcome. You are right though it did for a change, portray the Witnesses in a favourable light, and the barbeque chicken legs from the buffet provided were delicious!! .............Oh and one more thing SAM.......please don't call me a "she" ..last time I checked I had to stand up to wee, I think that makes me a Man!!!! Grrrrrr (hear that testosterone!)

• meadow77
    meadow77

It seems to me that God ordered people to not eat blood. Eating human flesh or human blood is truly disgusting, but I fail to understand how saving your life or someone elses could be classified as eating blood. Furthermore perhaps God was making a scientific statement as well when he said the life is in the blood. Many people of that time did not understand this as is evidenced by procedures such as bloodletting. We know know that God was correct in saying the life is in the blood. For surely there is no medical benefit to losing your blood. One dies when they lose too much blood.If suicide is such an awful sin, wouldn't refusing a way to save your life qualify?

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Scooby,

Sorry sir!

Sam

• outnfree
    outnfree

BluesBrother mentioned:

I am sure that dubs from all over the South will want to come to your hospital for surgery if they can.

Herein lies the benefit to the Kent hospital and others who can tout to local Witnesses that they have bloodless surgery units (and cell saver machine[s]).

I remember when ONE of our local hospitals set up its bloodless surgery unit. They gave a grand opening lecture which was publicized in the local newspapers and the Witnesses in our area were encouraged to attend to let the hospital know how much we appreciated the medical progress. We were also subtly encouraged to make this particular hospital our hospital of choice.

Scooby, it is wonderful that the community at large as well as witnesses will benefit from the cell saver machine, but I'm with the others here who question the WT motives. In my opinion, the Society is promoting these bloodless units and these expensive technologies in order to protect themselves from lawsuits their "no blood" policy may engender, especially as it becomes ever clearer that there really is NOT a "no blood" policy any more.

out

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

You are well entitled to your opinion outnfree, and if you so want you can question the WT "motives" for donating such a machine despite that it benefits the community also. However, please research these "new technologies" and understand that and understand on a purely financial basis they actually save money. The average cost of 1 unit of whole blood costs the NHS approx. 120 per unit, blood cell saver machines when used in theatres and in appropriate trauma cases eleminate that cost.......just a thought for you.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Scooby,

One donated machine =

• good PR for the WT with the general public
    • softens the medical establishments view of the JWs and their odd stance on blood by making the hospital staff grateful for the expensive and very useful donation
    • benefits the community at large, yes, but JWs in particular
    • draws more JW patients to the hospital
    • saves the hospital (and the public if you have national health care) $$
    • reduces the need for whole blood (which JWs aren't allowed to donate, but most of which they ARE allowed to use)

if you so want you can question the WT "motives" for donating such a machine despite that it benefits the community also. However, please research these "new technologies" and understand that and understand on a purely financial basis they actually save money

I think I DO understand, Scooby.

Good health to you!

out.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Since Hubby is a JW..I had to read up on all that!. The thing that got me was the fact that they get the blood AFTER it leaves the artery!...To me that is the same as it leaving the body!..If someone has an open cut and it is spouting blood..they suck it up with the machine like vacumn as it comes out. Not while it is still in the vein.

What is the difference? A shorter distance?.

Also..on the point of it being continous.. If the needle gets pulled out of the arm or for some reason they need to stop in the middle to change a shunt or a needle. They have to stop the process! ..Thus you have no blood! It's trapped in the machine! They cannot disconnect for ANY reason!...If somehow the site gets contaminated..they have to stop!. Which means..any bood in the machine is theirs to keep!

I actually laughed when I read about that procedure!

I also had to keep from laughing when I had to EXPLAIN the procedure to hubby and his JW Mom!..They didn't have a clue..so much for defending their faith!...

An apostate had to explain their religion to them!...Goes to show who they are really following when they don't even know what they believe! Not the Bible...Not God..the JW governing body...are their leaders!

Sad...Sad...Sad...

Snoozy....

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Hello ScoobySnax:

Thank you for your report. While the WTS donation of a cell saver unit is admirable it is the moral equivalent of a cigarette company donating chemotherapy drugs to a cancer center. The WTS irrational policy on the use of blood and blood products is responsible for thousands of needless deaths. The fact that JW children are sacrificed to support such a policy is reprehensible and the WTS policy of sanctioning any JW who conscientiously disagrees with its irrational policy by requiring their JW family members to shun them is morally repugnant.

Those who are most familiar with the finer points of this issue will not be impressed by the actions of the WTS in this instance. Their hands are full of innocent blood and it will take a lot more than donating a "Cell Saver" to atone for their wrong doing.

Regards,

Lee Elder - AJWRB

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I agree with Lee Elder: "While the WTS donation of a cell saver unit is admirable it is the moral equivalent of a cigarette company donating chemotherapy drugs to a cancer center."

The cell savor can only be used in surgery and the percentage of blood that is reusable does not make up for the lost lives refusing a simple blood transfusion. Blood transfusions have saved more lives since its proper use (matching blood types and antibodies) than any other medicinal invention. To donate one cell savor (which its use is a conscience issue for the jws) and reject the miracle of modern medicine is equivalent to a drop of water on Lazarus's tongue!

It's all a bunch of PR baloney by the wtbts, imho.

j2bf

Edited by - joy2bfree on 20 November 2002 21:16:11

Edited by - joy2bfree on 20 November 2002 21:16:55

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit