truthseeker1

OOOHhh, another pissing contest!!

Mine is 9.5 inches.

• Jesika
    Jesika

LOL@ 151 and truth

• seven006
    seven006

You guys are being a little hard on the geeks of the world. Mensa was put together originally by a bunch of Brits to exchange literary, scientific, and business concepts. The test given to join was an IQ test that one had to score 140 or above (if I remember correctly) to join. It turned into a bit of a snob club as it expanded into other countries. I think that was more of a Brit thing at the time than it was an elitist IQ thing (no offense to the Brits on the board).

I get periodicals from them on occasion and enjoy doing their mensa problems for fun. One of my favorites, and I use to use it in the seminars and workshops I taught, was the nine dot problem. It is where the concept of "thinking outside the box" came from. Not all mensa members or affiliates are snobs. Many of them just like the challenge of creative thinking.

Dave

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Dave,

Stop dispelling stereotypes, would ya? It cramps my reveling in my own averageness.

Sweetie,

That doesn't include encounters with Rosy.

Andee

• LucidSky
    LucidSky

Ignorance really is bliss. I'm totally ecstatic with my mere IQ of 75. Meanwhile you geeks can toil on in misery...

• seven006
    seven006

Andee,

Personally I'll never tell, really smart guys are saposta suck in bed and I have a damn reputation ya know.

151, That's cute. Isn't there a rum with that number?

Dave

I'm smarter than I try to look.

• jws
    jws
    Interestingly, the ACT is scored on a scale of 1-36, not 1-32. And SAT scores aren't reported in percentile form.

Given the criteria you established on the subject, sure sounds like bragging to me.

I seem to remember ACT as being several categories. I got a perfect score on the math and could have sworn that was 40 questions. But I think the other sections had different numbers of questions. That was in '83 . Could it be that the number of questions have changed over the years? I also remember sending away for the statistics on my SAT results. Those did tell me what percentile I ranked in for verbal and math. I don't doubt those statements. Maybe he made a mistake on the amount of questions.

I myself checked on Mensa membership requirements once and found my SAT scores would qualify me. That was probably at least 6 years ago, but never had that much of an ambition to join, nor pay dues.

If I ever join, the main reason for joining would be to validate my intelligence. I wouldn't act superior. OK, I might be a smart ass to my friends about it once in a while.

But truthfully, one of the main reasons I can think of to join is the possible example to my JW family members. They probably believe I am being duped by "apostate reasoning".

I think that having that status symbol of being a MENSA member says you are very smart. Maybe it would turn a light on in their heads. Maybe they'd think, hey, maybe I shouldn't discredit his reasons for leaving the JWs. Maybe I should listen to what he has to say. After all, he's a MENSA member. He should be smart enough to examine the evidence without being duped.

I honestly don't think being a MENSA member says you are well-rounded in your intelligence. Only good at the tests. I personally didn't do so well on the verbal part of the SAT, but the math more than made up for it. So my skills are lopsided, but it's the total score that earned me qualification for MENSA. And I know many people are much smarter than me or much more adept in different fields. So I personally don't think membership in MENSA proves anything. But it still impresses a lot of those pea-brained people out there! - and another to emphasize I'm just kidding.

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

"And unlike you I only speak three languages- Spanish- learned in Columbia on the job so to speak, Russian and I try a bit of English."

ummmm......HELLO!!!! IT'S SPELLED COLOMBIA.

ugh.

and we're talking freakin' IQ's here!!!???

• larc
    larc

Matty, what you wrote about IQ tests and their purpose is pure unadulterated BS. It is the kind of spouting off those who don't know the subject just love to agree with. Go read about Alfred Binet, the Army Alpha and Beta, the Wonderlic Personnel Test, the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Test, and the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children. Tell me how reliable and valid the are. Tell me their purpose. Tell me what they predict and don't predict. Be sure to read Hunter and Schmidt's article in Psychological Bulletin in 1998 on the subject. Be sure to read their earlier article about validity generalization versus differential validity. Sorry, if you think I am harsh. I am not attacking you. I am attacking a popular but wrong idea. No, I am not a member of mensa.

• seven006
    seven006

Larc,

Chill out bro, you're scaring all us little guys. I know you love your tests and all but they are not the end all of measuring ones intelligence. Intelligence is as important and relative to circumstance and context as an individual needs to survive. I heard a lady speak at a seminar I went to once (I forgetted her name) who was not only a mensa member but had the highest rated IQ ever tested and recorded. When she was asked what she considered the most important thing in her personal development of her high intelligence level she said one thing: "Keeping an open mind."

That one thought coming from that one very bright lady has taken me a very long way. If I got dropped into the middle of the Australian outback with a stack of books, having a high IQ wouldn't get me a damn drink of water. Circumstance and context, define that on an individual basis and situation the so called dumbest guy in class can make anyone look stupid and save their ass all at the same time.

Take care,

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit