For mensa members only

by kelsey007 83 Replies latest jw friends

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

IQ tests have been totally discredited now. They were designed as a tool to categorise people in the most ridiculous and superficial way. The IQ test was developed by privileged white men to reinforce class structure underlining their previously established prejudices.

Spot on Matty! Most, if not all, tests in our society are racially and/or culturally biased, giving a huge advantage to whites. I don't know that IQ tests have been totally discredited; however, I don't put a lot of faith in them, either. I can't remember the exact numbers, but they only measure what is it, about 2 or 3 factors that affect intelligence? They're incomplete and ineffective tools; however, with limited use and an understanding of their inadequacies, they can be useful at times.

Granny, I am so with you there! Give me a person who has common sense, people skills, and kindness any day over self proclaimed geniuses! I think we need to tread carefully when trying to fit people into any type of box, be it highly intelligent, unintelligent, etc. That smacks of and/or, black/white thinking, and I've had enough of that to last me several lifetimes.

Dana

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    So yeah, I think I hold an intellectual advantage over many of the rambling morons here.

Thanks Reborn...

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

The only person I've ever known who even tried to get into Mensa (I think he may have but can't remember) had a really high IQ but at 30 years old he and his wife live in her parents basement. I don't know who said it but I've always loved the saying "Its not what you've got, its how you use it." You can have the highest IQ in the world and still be a complete failure and the person who is borderline on mental retardation can be totally succesful. I remember some of the smartest people I've known don't have real high IQ's but still know more and figure out more stuff than Mensa members just for the simple fact they know how to work hard and get whatever they need done. I've always just refferred to Mensa as mental masturbation and still think of it that way.

As for the most important thing you could have, its not dad and I. Its love. We're not going to do anything to make your world better. If everyone would realize that and do their part to work together and make the world a better place words can't describe how much better your lives would be.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    As for the most important thing you could have, its not dad and I. Its love. We're not going to do anything to make your world better. If everyone would realize that and do their part to work together and make the world a better place words can't describe how much better your lives would be.

Amen J.

• Francois
    Francois

Reborn, I personally think that elitism, especially the organized elitism of Mensa, is far worse than a less than stellar I.Q. number. Gimme good old street smarts any day over an intellectual elitist who so offends others with it that they refuse to listen to him.

francois

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I had a friend at work who took and passed the Mensa test. She persuaded me to take the test because she wanted to have someone she knew attend Mensa functions with her. I caved...I took the test....I passed....we went to a function together....we were bored.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Interestingly, the ACT is scored on a scale of 1-36, not 1-32. And SAT scores aren't reported in percentile form.

Given the criteria you established on the subject, sure sounds like bragging to me.

• rem
    rem
    What is your IQ??

The answer is 42.

Er... wait... that's something else.

rem

• Pete2
    Pete2

Random Task said: "Hippikon, the answer is 67"

But what I want to know -- is that with training wheels?

I'm sure we all agree (OK, we don't) that Juvenal's maxim is appropriate: "Mens sana in corpore sano." And for those that don't speak pygmy -- "A sound mind in a sound body."

It's been my experience that the higher the IQ --the fewer social skills one might have. So, there you go you assholes!

Pete2

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

IQ?

Doesnt that stand for intercourse quotient?

Well I gotta be at least 20,000+ ..................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit