Does Our Arguing Scare People Off???

by minimus 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

: With so much going on over here, do you think that newbies, lurkers, or potenial apostates could or do get scared off from this place?

Possibly. But not before they died prematurely of braindeadness from being subjected to your incessant and idiotic questions.

Farkel

• onacruse
    onacruse

minimus: "did what we regularly do over here"

"We" who? I disagree with your generalization. Many many of us have chosen not to comment on several topics recently started here.

"not everyone is rude or profane"

Like going into a bookstore, you pick what you want to read, and skip past the rest. If one likes rude, profane literature, then that's their choice.

And, to be honest, I DON'T get what you are "trying to suggest." If I may be so bold, how about a straight-up answer from MINIMUS like: I suggest Simon and moderators get more restrictive! or, We should all grow up and behave like well-disciplined ex-JWs! or We mustn't forget that this forum is a surrogate religion that we must protect against disrepute!

Craig

• Prisca
    Prisca

If you think the fighting here has been bad the last few weeks, you should have been here a year ago!!

Frankly, many people can't avoid reading the flame threads, even if they don't participate. Check the number of "views" that flame threads receive. The views number far greater than what the participants could give the threads. People can't help looking and reading, just like passing by a car accident.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, Prisca, some of us are like a moth to a flame. I'm getting better though.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

I don't feel EVERYONE is rude or profane. I do think you know exactly what I am saying. My point is very simple. Sometimes people should consider that others are observing what we are like here. When the board regularly tolerated swearing, I said that it would be difficult to show some of the excellent reasoning on some posts to certain family members because those newly reading this material would be either shocked or offended. I don't want to suggest setting certain rules for posters. I want to remind us all that we can be a positive force for good if we are mindful of how we express ourselves. If that's too general for you, I cannot say it any better.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Do we scare off some people from participating here? Perhaps, but the ideas do the "scaring" more than the style in which they are expressed.

Do we really scare off people who would ordinarily come to a site like this?

NO NO NO NO NO.

Did I make that clear?

Those who post here are not representative of a cross-section of humanity (religious or otherwise), or even a cross section of inactive and former Jehovah's Witnesses. What we have here are a VOCAL MINORITY -- those who care enough to speak out against the WT Society's tactics, or those new ones who are curious enough and persistent enough to get their questions answered.

The silent majority do not, and never will post here. Let them lurk! There will always be lurkers and bystanders to any important activity.

Yes we have people who communicate poorly and irrationally, but hey there's an "ignore" feature (or you can mentally "ignore" such people if you so choose). I for one am thankful that this board is here and we can hash out issues without someone telling us how to speak or think!

With a little help from our kind site owner, we are self-regulating here. Good!

Edited by - Gopher on 29 October 2002 23:37:40

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

The most popular cable shows are those fo debate- The Orielly Factor and so forth. People are attracted to open honest debate. That point is made clear here on this forum. The hottest threads are the ones with the most dissagreement. All the Ray V. Bill threads were the most popular. Cant hide from that folks. We all love it. If ya didnt you would ignore them and post on other threads.....

• onacruse
    onacruse

Thank you, Gopher, for your unequivocal statement. I like/need to know where a person stands, even as I feel compelled to make it clear where I stand. Being totally open and honest is not easy, but it is the only way to be healthy.

inky: "I need nurturing, not negativity." I agree. But in my experience, what may initially be perceived as negative can actually be a positive, if only I leave my mind truly open to a differing viewpoint. Then, as has happened for me in this forum, I end up feeling nurtured, supported, and encouraged. Does take a little bit of "getting over the hump" though.

minimus: fwiw, I find many of your questions thought-provoking. I would, however, like to see more of YOUR opinions and experiences, rather than more questions.

Sincerely,

Craig

• Downunderandout
    Downunderandout

Hi all,

you aren't really that scary, I am enjoying the 'lively discussions', shows you are not part of the mind control any more, well that's the way I see it anyway.

... and this is my first post, so there.... way easier and far more enjoyable than putting your hand up at a meeting and stumbling over some corney answer so the bros won't be on your back for not answering Again!.

Thanks all, please keep it up, I promise I will post more in the future.

J

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome to the board, downunderandout! I assume that means you're an Aussie ex-JW!!

Thanks for your comments, and please do post often!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit