Please convince me I'm wrong!

by StinkyPantz 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Since I have stopped attending the meetings, I have had a loss of faith in God. I consider myself an agnostic teetering on being a full blown atheist. While in school this last semester I have been taking courses that emphasize evolution. So I wonder, how could anyone believe in the Bible with so much scientific evidence that refutes it? I am currently a Psychology major but I am switching to a major in Forensic Science. So as with other people who love and appreciate science, I have wonder how Bible believing people can still justify their beliefs..

It is apparent through various means that the Earth is millions of years old. One way we know this is because the various continents used to be one continent and has over the course of millions of years separated (over and over again). If you look on a map you can see how they used to fit together. Scientists have measured how far the continents move per year and it would have taken possibly hundreds of thousands of years to have separated this far. (But the Earth was created only a few thousand years ago, right?)

Also, fossil records have unearthed bones that are thousands of years old, some of which are similar to homo-sapiens (modern day humans), such as homo-erectus, home-habilis, and Neandertals. These show how weve evolved over millions of years (dont they?).

With all of this evidence and much more, I still find myself wanting to believe in God (at least the Christian God), but most if not all evidence points against it. My biggest fear and the main reason I cant give up my belief in God is because I hate the idea that I will one day not exist.

So, I wonder is there anyone out that that can: 1) intelligently and preferably scientifically refute that the Earth has been around for millions of years and that humans have evolved over millions of years and 2) prove with only a reasonable doubt that there is a God. I want to believe but this whole college education thing is mixing everything up. I now see why the Society was so against it.

Edited to add "reasonable".

Edited by - StinkyPantz on 23 October 2002 3:4:52

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Stinky, many of us are struggling with the same issues you are. I have always held a strong belief in God, actually believing that got me through Vietnam. But now, even though I desparately want to believe in God, I too have questions and ones that I am not readily finding answers for.

I won't debate evolution vs creation, as there is no absolute proof for either one. Who knows, maybe it was an act of creation that finally evolved into what we are today. I really don't kow.

As for the bible, remember it was written by ancient men in a far different time and has been translated many times over, all with personal bias. While I find much good advice in it, I can't accept every word as truth or fact either.

All I can recommend is go with your heart. I try to keep an open mind about it all, but that hasn't supplied me with the answers I wish yet.

Lew W

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

wether or not someone believes in god, i don't think there is any way for someone "p rove w/o a doubt that there is a God"... i think it's just one of those take it or leave it things.

forensic science..awesome feild. always a dream of mine to get into it.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

that's the problem Stinkypantz, wanting makes you dishonest, having an agenda, makes us stupid, as we try to prove the agenda, rather than prove the truth.

Crownboy made a post on the other db, I'll start a thread for you here. It explains so that even a 10 year old can understand, as you say, "how could anyone believe in the Bible with so much scientific evidence that refutes it? "

BTW, a big part (but not all) of the answer to your question is this: people are fucking morons. I know I was, back when I was a person.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Stinky (lol), I posted that thread under the title "the unbearable rightness of questioning".

• Satanus
    Satanus

I won't touch number 1 request. Request number 2 can't be granted, as no one can prove there is or isn't a god. If there was a god like christians claim, then he could prove it unequivocally. But he chooses not to.

What i would suggest, is that there is something like a god, but nothing at all like the christian god. I would suggest that you look up near death experiences. Read a bunch of them. Try meditation for at least 6 months. See what you find. See what you experience/sense for yourself. How can you accept the experiences of others that were handed down through thousands of years. I could possibly accept something second hand. First hand is the best. Those are my opinions.

SS

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

SS-

I've read a lot about near death experiences, and I've also read how they've been simulated in a lab, so I don't really see how that would help. I've also read and meditated on the Bible. I've read parts of the Koran. I've explored many religions: JWs, Catholism, Islam, Bahai, etc. and none of them satisfy my questions.

Mango-

Well, I guess I shouldn't say "prove" to me there's a God. But instead, why do people believe? I want to know why believe in God when so much refutes his/her existence.

6of9-

The only "truth" I know has been proved via science; but I'm wondering if I am merely being blinded by some other force. Maybe I am "dishonest" or "stupid" as you say, but that's why I want help so that my eyes can be opened.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just worried that a lack of a solid belief in God could leave me in Hell or something. I just wish I could find out either way.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bible meditation will get you a spoon full of knowledge, but it won't get you experience. The meditation i meant was breath counting. Just sit on a chair, close your eyes, count out breaths from one to five. Do that for 15 minutes per day, for 6 months, or as long as you feel like it, if you feel like it. Detatch and observe your thoughts. See what you can sense without your thoughts intruding.

I've read a lot about near death experiences,

Did you mean you read about them, or you actually read them? Whether they are lab induced or trauma induced really doesn't make a difference, as far as their value goes.

SS

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Stinky Pants , I am so jealous of you........ but in a " God, wish I never was a JW, and went to college" , kind of way.

I would love to be in the field you are pursuing. Go get it girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I could go back, I would love to be a crime scene investigator. I love photography and I am also into details. I think it would have been hard to do at first , just like a doctor or nurse the first year they practice. But I guess, I say this because there was a person I know , that was murdered and have never found her body. I would love to find a clue to find her, her parents are in such grief and there is no closure, plus a killer , probably her ex hubby, got off scott free. Things that look like suicide could be murder , vice a versa too. I would love to have a job that I could put my heart into like that.

For now I just read true crime novels and enjoy movies along these lines.

I have never watched CSI , on tv,,,,,,,, i know i would love it, just never have the remote durning primetime. Hope to start watching reruns and catch up on it thou.

What exactly would you be doing in the field of forensic science? Can I live vicariously thru you? LOL

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze

StinkyPantz,

I posted this in another tread and thought it might be usefull here.

This is just my opinion of course, but I feel that religion is just man's interpretation of the divine. I think it is each individuals responsibility to develop a relationship with his or her creator. Reading the writings of others and their thoughts can be quite valuable, but adopting rigid dogma will remove you from your spiritual potential. It is my belief that that all the holy books written throughout history have been the creation of men who have had a political agendas. As far as I can tell, even the Bible was merely the way of the Holy Roman Empire to subjugate the savage barbarian hordes of Europe with the fear of everlasting torment if they disobeyed the law they had created. This law was encapsulated within the New Testament or Greek Scriptures. These are just my thought, and are as likely to be wrong as anyone else's.
    Anton

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit