Demoted from elder to MS, anybody ever heard of this?

by Naoscillator 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Naoscillator
    Naoscillator

So a friend in a nearby hall told me their CO came through, and in a hellish week of long meetings and inquisition overhauled the BOE. Only one remains as elder, three were re-appointed as MS, and one, the COBE was deleted entirely.

Two new elders were brought in as new secretary and COBE / watchtower conductor, respectively, and introduced to the congregation from the platform on SUNDAY immediately following his second talk. He reminded everybody of the AUTHORITY he has and then named the new appointees. The sitting COBE had just conducted his last watchtower study and got to sit there and see his replacement welcomed. The CO then told everyone to be there on Wednesday for announcement of MORE CHANGES. My friend says it was the quietest his (large) congregation has ever been. Reportedly all elders disappeared into another long meeting shortly after concluding prayer.

This CO has a reputation that precedes him. A take no prisoners, hatchet-wielding badass who doesn't care whose feelings he steps on. In other words, the ideal WT company man.

None of the JW's I've discussed this with have ever heard of anything like it or have much positive to say about this CO. We've all heard of entire bodies being deleted, elders being DF'd, etc. but the combination of events has left many confused and ambivalent. Especially the public nature of it.

Is the "demotion" from elder to MS a new thing? What's up with letting the COBE conduct and minutes later announcing his replacement to a packed hall?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Never heard of that and it would not stand in the USA. The basic qualifications for MS are the same as an elder. Never heard of anyone being demoted. If you dont qualify as an elder you dont qualify as a servant.
  • Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    I imagine you could ask to be demoted. If you were stressed out being a servant is a lot less involved
  • paladin1
  • millie210
    millie210

Morpheus called it.

This wasnt in the U.S.?

I thought what Morpheus stated is the gold standard for this world wide united brotherhood.

Could it be a new standard born of a lack of men to serve in any capacity?

• Divergent
    Divergent

Never heard of that before. Always thought that ex-elders would have to work their way up to become a MS (never appointed immediately) before they can be recommended to become an elder again. Or perhaps times are changing and they are forced to re-appoint as MS immediately due to there being a lack of qualified men to take the lead?

• Absalom
    Absalom
    The new CO in my circuit in USA has removed 40 elders already, but none of them have been demoted to MS. I actually think it is a positive thing. Maybe it will wake more people up.
  • tiki
    tiki

I know of removed or stepped down elders who were reinstated as ms's but only after a significant period of time. I do know of one cong ages ago where a couple of elders went on a df rampage and really skimmed the ranks...a co came in relieved them of their duties and all the df cases were appealed... Most ri' ed. The two slunk off to far parts with their tails between their legs.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sure it happens, being demoted is not an unusual occurrence in JW land.

I've heard of elders being demoted by virtue of what their sons, daughters or wifes have done.

Perhaps the CO saw the numbers of hours in service spent that month by the congregation was quite low, so he assumed the elders were not encouraging the congregation enough ?

In case it isn't known, every time a CO visits a Hall they are given the publishing record report for the entire congregation since his last appearance. If its shows an extremely low amount of hours in comparison to other congregations, placements or bible studies conducted etc., he may invoke a replacement of the elders, in an effort to stimulate the numbers higher.

• Naoscillator
    Naoscillator

@_Morpheus, indeed it's the USA, a Spanish congregation. I know that two of the former elders are pretty advanced in age and may just be relieved, happy to serve as MS or in whatever capacity.

@Just Kidding, the lack of qualified men is a factor and has been for some time in that congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit