Christmas Aint Jesus's Birthday

by comforter 94 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Comforter,

Would you please give us the litany of drugs your mother used when she was pregnant with you? Oh, this is only a question if you know who she is.

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Yeru says:

Jews did indeed celebrate Birthdays. The Children of Job celebrated birthdays by hosting feasts as attributed in scripture.

No, I disagree, the children of Job did not celebrate birthdays. Admittedly, until recently I myself had leaned toward your way of thinking, Yeru, but no longer am persuaded that way. Yes, I had previously figured that since the world seems to be so forever prone to do that anyway Job's sons had fallen into the habit of celebrating their birthdays as well. But NOW I think that they were doing nothing more than taking turns hosting parties for the rest of the group of siblings ... for no other reason than to P-A-R-T-Y. No wonder that righteous Job felt the need to offer sacrifices in their behalf, since the placing of undue emphasis on having pleasure can lead to God's displeasure (simply because it threatens one's spirituality, which naturally threatens a person's determination to do what is right in God's eyes). Was not Job's sons doing just that ... placing a LOT of emphasis on pleasure? Yes! ... they each would take their turn hosting a banquet ... until they all had hosted ... THEN, apparently, they would start the circuit all over again. Round and round, a never ending cycle of banqueting! Apparently, even as most women are content to let the men take the lead, Job's daughters were quite content to let their brothers throw the parties. So, it looks like the WTS has been right all along, in saying that the banqueting was NOT in celebration of any birthdays.

For an additional thought or two, consider my next to last post at this URL: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=36366&page=2&site=3#493072

Friday

Edited by - Yadirf on 11 October 2002 19:14:34

• Valis
    Valis

For an additional thought or two, consider my last post

If only this were the case...I'll keep praying to Jehovah for that day to happen...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Job 1:4 in the NWT says: "And his sons went and held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day..." It doesn't say each in his own turn. So did they celebrate on a weekly, monthly, or annual basis? In Job 3:1 Job says: "Let the day perish on which I came to be born...As for that day, let it become darkness." How is day different in these two passages?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Christmas Aint Jesus's Birthday

Yes it is. I got several cards last year proving it was .

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Kenneson says:

Job 1:4 in the NWT says: "And his sons went and held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day..." It doesn't say each in his own turn.

Job 1:5 in the NWT says: "And it would occur that when THE BANQUET DAYS had gone round the circuit." Notice that it doesn't say "birthdays" ... it said "banquet days"! Yes, indeed, we notice that what WAS done --the purpose for which they gathered together--is that they BANQUETED.

In Job 3:1 Job says: "Let the day perish on which I came to be born...As for that day, let it become darkness." How is daydifferent in these two passages?

The "day" of which Job referred to plainly refers to the day on which he was born. The "own day" of which each brother hosted his banquet had reference to that particular brother's turn.

Friday

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Yardif, Iknow some people who celebrate their birthdays with banquets. I recently attended one. Sicne they have them anually they would be banquet days as well.

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

You're showing all the signs of a desperate man, Kenneson.

• footprints
    footprints

To "the brainless one." aka comforter.

Did you happen to check and notice that the bible doesn't even mention Xmas. Now beings Jehovah is the inventor of, and master user of, speech and language, if he didn't want you to celebrate it he would have at least mentioned it.
    Christmas falls into the same zone as your nasty little masterbation habit. Jehovah never mentioned it so no one else should either..

So if you chose to not celebrate Christmas thats your business.
    If you chose to continue masterbating that is your business.

When you claim to speak for Jehovah, and make rules in his name, you need to be carefull because then it becomes Jehovah's business

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Yardiff, am I really? I would think people are more prone to have banquets to commemorate some event rather than on a continuous basis.. So the 7 brothers each had a turn for a banquet (was that everyday of the week, 52 weeks a year)? How often did each's day (you say turn) come around? Man, they must have been party animals! Who could afford so many feasts?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit