Would you condone abortion?

by haujobbz 58 Replies latest jw friends

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

How do you know im not a woman

Prevention is the cure

Bad parenting is a far worse crime, yeh i suppose it is if your brought up by jws

• Xander
    Xander

Try this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=34199&site=3

Same topic. Same arguments. Gets old.

Here's a better question.

I'm assuming you don't think it's murder when a women menstrates, right? And a guy...uhhh...relieving pressure isn't murder either, right?

So, the two cells on their own are not a child?

BUT...they bump into each other:

OH NO! Suddenly it's murder if they are destroyed!

Right?

Well, when, then?

Edited by - Xander on 12 August 2002 18:23:51

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

Francois are you a psychic

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I feel that I am in no position to tell someone that abortion is right or is wrong. As for me.......well, guess that would be MY decision. I would have to think long and hard if I could live with a decision like that. Not saying I would, not saying I wouldn't.

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

RE: Xander

You dont make any sense?

Topics on abortion are very theraputic.

Poor old spermy man

Woman menstruates and man masturbates whats your point?

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

Why cant i get a simple answer yan or nay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop avoiding the issue

• StinkyPantz
  • Xander
    Xander

Read the other thread.

Read my post.

Not difficult to miss my position on the topic. With no consciousness/self-awareness/sentience/soul, it's not human. If it's not human, it can be treated the exact same way we treat ANYTHING ELSE that's not human. IE., life or death at our convenience, but with respect to the natural world.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Xander-

I took a philosophy class and the argument to your argument is that although the umm. . fertilized egg does not have "consciousness/self-awareness/sentience/soul", it is the fetilized egg's POTENTIAL to have "consciousness/self-awareness/sentience/soul" that is the most important factor.

• Xander
    Xander
    it is the fetilized egg's POTENTIAL to have "consciousness/self-awareness/sentience/soul" that is the most important factor

That is a fairly common argument. I happen to disagree with it in this case, however. As mentioned in the other thread, 80% of those fertilized eggs fail to 'take' and pass out anyway.

Indeed, even if it DOES take, there is no guarantee that it will receive all the nutrients it needs in order to become a human. IOW, without outside influence - there is NO potential to become sentient. (Or else cloning would be a WHOLE LOT EASIER).

Ditto with sperm and eggs. They have the potential to be human, no? Yet, without outside influence (first, the presence of the complementary reproductive cell, then the presence of a suitable host, then the presence of suitable nutrition, then, then, then, etc...) they amount to nothing.

Similarly....

Example person A has the potential to become a serial killer. Does this mean they should be executed today? Well, no, because they're not a serial killer now.

Edited by - Xander on 12 August 2002 18:44:16

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit