A Cult

by Beans 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bleep
    Bleep

Can anyone help me answer these? Oh I forgot I have to, darn! Why do I get stuck with all the Questions. I only made a few topics.

Q1 Is the promise at 1 John 3:3 a restricted hope?
    Q2 Is this hope for Jehovahs Witnesses only?
    Q3 Is it for all Jehovahs Witnesses, or only for the anointed JWs?
    Q4 The first bible study group of the WTS was formed in 1880. It is claimed in your literature that there is an unbroken line of Faithful and Discreet Slaves guiding true Christians from the early church to now. If there was no WTS before 1880, who made up the faithful and discreet slaves?
    Q5 How many anointed JWs are still alive?
    Q6I am curious about the WTS view of people like Susanna Wesley. Was she part of the pre-WTS anointed, or part of hopelessly corrupt Christendom?
    Q7So I am dying to know. According to WTS Accurate Knowlege, is Susanna Wesley a true Christian or false?
    Q8 I wonder if he did a search for "dialogue" on his WT CD if he would get any hits?
    Q9 Way to go Bleep. Since the WTS is silent on the topic of dialogue, could you give me your perspective on the Bereans?
    Q10 Does the WTS have a similar policy (as a Christendom church that I described) to protect children from pedophiles? In these terrible times, perhaps more should be done?
    Q11 Please provide a definition of Ethics, from an authoritative source. WT materials do not count. There are dictionaries on-line if looking it up in a book is too much trouble.
    Q12 Bleep, exercising your conscience, based on current light of the WTS, is the following link an appropriate website, or not?
    Q13 Bleep, as this organization is also distributing the bible for free, is the organization and/or the bible also approved by Jehovah?
    Q14 How many anointed JWs are still alive?
    Q15 Please list the names of books, periodicals, websites, etc. that you have studied as part of your information gathering to learn about cults.
    Q16 What do YOU think defines a cult? I mean, a lot of people call different groups "cults" but they each have their own reasons, either correct (i.e. generally accepted reasons) or incorrect (i.e. not generally accepted reasons). So how do YOU define a cult?
    Q17 Why is it people say "Reverend Jim Jones was a cult leader" or "David Koresh was a cult leader" or "The Branch Davidians is a cult"? What do you think it is about these groups that makes them a "cult" in the opinion of most people?
    Q18 How would you react to and deal with a close family member who joined, lets say, The Unification Church (a.k.a. The Moonies)? What would you say to that person (if anything)? What if they were quitting their job, or leaving their wife/husband/ family, in order to persue The Moonies more intently? What would you do and/or say?
    Q19 You have posted previously that, in effect, you feel that people are misled by this website, as if it has a mind or agenda of it's own. Do you recognize that this website is only a collection of the postings of hundreds, perhaps thousands of people, like you and me, that are not related to and not controlled by this website in any way? Do you understand that if you see something posted by someone that you don't agree with, you may post your opinion/correction? Do you understand that in order for this to be more educational and meaningful, counter-posts should be very specific and include proof? In other words, it is insufficient for me to post "The moon is made of green cheese" -- I would have to prove it! And if I ignored that requirement for proof, and subsequent requests for proof from other posters, I would probably not win over ANYONE to my opnion with respect to the lunar cheese composition. Do you understand this basic principle of discussion boards like this one?
    Q20 Do you count the time you spend here as "preaching" on your month-end Publishers Report?
    Q21 How extensive is your right to free speech? If you felt that you were personally in disagreement about some bible t teaching, (for example, if you recognized that the temple was NOT destroy in 607 BCE but rather in circa 587 BCE, would you have the right to free speech to discuss your opinion and the proof you have for your opinion with the Brothers and Sisters? What do you think about this?
    Q22 Have you spent any time at http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies? This website has nothing to do with JWs or Apostates, but is a very interesting collection of Logical Fallacies, in other words, the mistakes people sometimes make in logice when trying to make a point about something. My first post in this thread referred to this site several times. Have you visited the site yet?

• Quotes
    Quotes

OK, BLEEP has (at least, nominally) responded to another question, specifically Quetion (2).

To recapitulate, the question was:

(2) What do YOU think defines a cult? I mean, a lot of people call different groups "cults" but they each have their own reasons, either correct (i.e. generally accepted reasons) or incorrect (i.e. not generally accepted reasons). So how do YOU define a cult?

The answer from BLEEP is:

Quotes, 2) A cult would have the interests of the followers last since they would be doing dishonest things. They would be a group to put down the JW's and taking a lot of time pulling out hair since they can't find a real legal way to make them stop preaching, ha-ha. They would be more than just frowned upon for making a decision by themselves.

Please keep in mind that I am only matching up Question Numbers with Answer Numbers.

Q & A Tabulation:

(1) -not answered yet

(2) Answered

(3) -not answered yet

(4) -not answered yet

(5) -not answered yet

(6) -not answered yet

(7) ANSWERED (I think).

(8) -not answered yet

(9) -not answered yet

BLEEP, note that there are CLEARLY NINE (9) questions. Why did you say "I will answer your 15 questions when I have time." -- Where did the other 6 questions come from?

• Bleep
    Bleep

I had some questions that were not compleatly answered. Here they are:

Q1 Please list some info from the Watchtower that leads people to think they are misled.
    Q2 What is it that I do not have?
    Q3 Do you ISP, consider JW's to be weak and in need of extermination?
    Q4 He offered Jesus all the Kingdoms of the Earth when he was on Earth. You can't offer what you do not have right?
    Q5 Trying to take Satan out of the picture ISP?
    Q6 Jesus planted a great seed for us all; why not take advantage of that now by learning instead of blaspheming?
    Q7 If one positive thought about the Bible can't be brought up in my topic then why post here?
    Q8 Why should mankind be judged now since we are not perfect?
    Q9 What right does someone have to say that someone is going to a hellfire in the first place? There was a person who said that I and YouKnow are Apostates and will go there in the future which was not ethical. Remember the Do No Harm Principle?
    Q10 Reminds me of those youngsters that say "This Sucks"Then I would say how does it suck?Then they would say, "huh? It just does."Then I would say "In what way does it suck?"
    Q11 Are you watching the Watchtower with this "policy"?
    Q12 What did you find wrong with the NWT?
    Q13 Is the NWT really the WT?
    Q14 This system is like the Titanic. You never saw the captain of the Titanic trying to patch up the hole did you?
    Q15 What is God?
    Q16 Who cares about Bible Principles?
    Q17 Some people fail to think about the principle of confidentiality and the do no harm principle, much like you.Why is that?
    Q18 Sunshine Too, how are ya?
    Q19 Hello Spidermunkey, how are you?
    Q20 I know what my religion teaches. Did you really want to know why we have a second chance?
    Q21 My information might be limited to Bible knowledge; would that be such a bad thing?
    Q22 Would it be right to say that DNA is how Jehovah remembers us all IF you think there will be a second chance in life here on earth?
    Q23 I go by the Holy Scriptures. That is why I like the Bible research topics. The Watchtower is only one source of info out there, Nuff said? [All I got was who cares by minimus.]
    Q24 Who cares could be raised many times when it comes to the big picture, there are less people who care about bible principles like minumus. Did you want a responce like that? [Minimus then said I am boring.]
    Q25 What's that got to do with Hellfire Doctrine?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some answered questions, Bleep. Your turn.

Q1 Please list some info from the Watchtower that leads people to think they are misled.

A: The Watchtower claims to be completely true and correct on all matters. To determine whether the Watchtower is correct or not requires reading other literature, such as the source documents the Watchower quotes.

Q2 What is it that I do not have?

A: That is a question you should be asking Jehovah every morning. None of us are perfect yet.

Q4 He offered Jesus all the Kingdoms of the Earth when he was on Earth. You can't offer what you do not have right?

A: This question was answered by Crazy151Drinker.

Q6 Jesus planted a great seed for us all; why not take advantage of that now by learning instead of blaspheming?

A: Bleep, here you started a thread by calling all apostates blasphemers, uninterested in learning, without providing any examples. Very poor scholarship, and a prejudging of everyone on the board. Learning involves questioning, reading, responding. There are plenty on this board who do just that. Plenty of people responded to this thread. Perhaps you did not get the answer you wanted? From the thread, Apostates don't burn they just stay dead.

Q8 Why should mankind be judged now since we are not perfect?

A: That is assuming we are to be judged on whether we are perfect or not. I thought we were to be judged on our treatment of the poor, the hungry, and the sick. Matthew 25:34-40

Q13 Is the NWT really the WT?

A: You are kidding, right? The scholars earnest and stocwach debating this out on your thread have pretty clearly laid out the problems with the NWT.

Q14 This system is like the Titanic. You never saw the captain of the Titanic trying to patch up the hole did you?

A: Quotes answered this question for you,

I suppose you would have preferred that the Captain of the Titanic raise his arms and pray instead of taking action?

Q15 What is God?

A: Who is God? would take a lifetime to answer. Keep searching, Bleep.

Q17 Some people fail to think about the principle of confidentiality and the do no harm principle, much like you.Why is that?

A: That is an insult, not a question.

• Europe
    Europe
    JWs are in a minority and have some Bible principles.

Thank god for that!

But they show love and get along better than any other Religion

Oh yeah, right, thousands of them really love children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We' ve all seen the amount of abuse-victims!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting along better with whom??? Their so called brothers and sisters?? They HAVE to Bleep, as they are NOT allowed to mix with normal people!!!!

But they are getting along so well that when one gets DF, they all SHOW their LOVE by shunning him/her, so it's all FAKE, a LOAD OF CRAP and BULLSHIT on top of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Quotes
    Quotes

BLEEP: PLEASE READ MY POST HERE CAREFULLY AND FULLY BEFORE REPLYING. YOUR CREDIBILITY WITHIN THIS FORUM MAY DEPEND ON IT.

BLEEP, now you are starting to act in a way which I do not understand, and I suspect others will feel the same way. Here is what I mean by that:

When I joined this discussion, this otherwise interesting thread had deteriorated. It appeared to me that your opinion was in the minority, it also appeared (to me, and others) that you had not directly answered questions and calls for proof about some of your more controversial statements.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I assumed that this may have been a simple case of miscommunication, to wit: you felt you had responded to a particular query, but the person asking the question was unable to see how/where. In other words, it was difficult to match up your answers with others questions.

In an effort to make it a bit easier for all parties involved, I attempted to come up with specific questions which I felt would allow us to start over and really discuss this subject intelligently. To make it easy for everybody to follow, I used a NUMBERED LIST, and requested that you use the same NUMBERED LIST when posting your responses to my queries.

I did NOT ask you to answer them all at once, nor did I ask you to answer them in any particular order. I simply asked you to:

(a) answer them and

(b) use the numbering system when answering so there would be no confusion and no miscommunication (in other words, so we know which answer goes with which question)

You indicated that you needed time to "think about" your answers, which I felt was unusual becase:

(a) I only asked NINE questions and

(b) they asked for YOUR OPINION and YOUR KNOWLEDGE on the subject, a subject for which you had already posted your opinion. I thought it unusual that someone would have to think about, and perhaps research, their own opinion.

(c) some of the questions required only a YES or NO and would take SECONDS to answer

Now you have come back with two of your own lists of numbered questions -- actually two seperate lists, one with 22 questions and one with 25 questions. The lists contain different questions so now there are THREE LISTS of questions, with duplicate numbers (in other words, there is no way to know if an answer posted to, for example, question 1, is meant for LIST 1, LIST 2, or LIST 3. Whether you intended to or not, the net result of this action will FURTHER INCREASE miscommunication, and I now I must ask myself if increase in confusion was deliberatley intended by you, or simply the the by-product of otherwise well intentioned efforts.

Also, your lists are perplexing because you seem to have compiled questions that

(a) you have asked others

(b) others have asked you

(c) I asked you in the original list of 9 questions.

If these two new lists of questions were meant for you to answer, why did you include questions that you asked? Why ask your own questions? Don't you already know your opinion on those topics?

If these two new lists were meant for others to answer, why did you (partially) include questions (from my original ist of NINE questions) which I specifically directed toward YOU? It is YOUR OPNION/KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE/PROOF that seems to be in question, and answering my original list of nine questions could go a long way to clarifying YOUR OPNION/KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE/PROOF on this current thread topic of CULTS. My questions were meant for you! I would have emailed them to you, but you have chosen to LOCK your email address in this forum, so that was not possible.

So, despite my sincere (and time consuming for me!) attempts to clarify your OPNION/KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE/PROOF on the subject of cults, we are so far not getting anywhere. I ask you again to make an effort to clarify your OPNION/KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE/PROOF on this subject by answering the following questions:

(1) Please list the names of books, periodicals, websites, etc. that you have studied as part of your information gathering to learn about cults.

(2) What do YOU think defines a cult? I mean, a lot of people call different groups "cults" but they each have their own reasons, either correct (i.e. generally accepted reasons) or incorrect (i.e. not generally accepted reasons). So how do YOU define a cult?

ANSWER (2) PROVIDED:

(2) A cult would have the interests of the followers last since they would be doing dishonest things. They would be a group to put down the JW's and taking a lot of time pulling out hair since they can't find a real legal way to make them stop preaching, ha-ha. They would be more than just frowned upon for making a decision by themselves.

(3) Why is it people say "Reverend Jim Jones was a cult leader" or "David Koresh was a cult leader" or "The Branch Davidians is a cult"? What do you think it is about these groups that makes them a "cult" in the opinion of most people?

(4) How would you react to and deal with a close family member who joined, lets say, The Unification Church (a.k.a. The Moonies)? What would you say to that person (if anything)? What if they were quitting their job, or leaving their wife/husband/family, in order to persue The Moonies more intently? What would you do and/or say?

(5) You have posted previously that, in effect, you feel that people are misled by this website, as if it has a mind or agenda of it's own. Do you recognize that this website is only a collection of the postings of hundreds, perhaps thousands of people, like you and me, that are not related to and not controlled by this website in any way? Do you understand that if you see something posted by someone that you don't agree with, you may post your opinion/correction? Do you understand that in order for this to be more educational and meaningful, counter-posts should be very specific and include proof? In other words, it is insufficient for me to post "The moon is made of green cheese" -- I would have to prove it! And if I ignored that requirement for proof, and subsequent requests for proof from other posters, I would probably not win over ANYONE to my opnion with respect to the lunar cheese composition. Do you understand this basic principle of discussion boards like this one?

(6) Do you count the time you spend here as "preaching" on your month-end Publishers Report?

(7) How extensive is your right to free speech? If you felt that you were personally in disagreement about some bible t teaching, (for example, if you recognized that the temple was NOT destroy in 607 BCE but rather in circa 587 BCE, would you have the right to free speech to discuss your opinion and the proof you have for your opinion with the Brothers and Sisters? What do you think about this?

ANSWER (7) PROVIDED:

(7) A simple letter to the Source would be a good choice in regards to your question of God's Temple. Write a letter to the Watchtower Society.

If that does nothing then you will have to keep it to yourself or try to convince them otherwise that it is true!

(8) (NOTE: question (8) was generated due to answer (7)) Were you aware that people are expelled as apostates for doing what you have suggested: "trying to convince them otherwise".

(9) Have you spent any time at http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies? This website has nothing to do with JWs or Apostates, but is a very interesting collection of Logical Fallacies, in other words, the mistakes people sometimes make in logic when trying to make a point about something. My first post in this thread referred to this site several times. Have you visited the site yet?

BLEEP Q & A Tabulation:

(1) -not answered yet

(2) Answered

(3) -not answered yet

(4) -not answered yet

(5) -not answered yet

(6) -not answered yet

(7) ANSWERED

(8) -not answered yet

(9) -not answered yet

We are all awaiting your responses.

~Quotes

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/

• Quotes
    Quotes

Just to prove that my request of BLEEP is not unreasonable, I am going to answer my own questions to BLEEP and time the process:

ANSWER (1) Here is a quick non-complete list of resources that are either about cults and not about JWs. This is only a list of books I have read, and does not include other useful texts on the subject.

• Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan
    • PROPHETS OF THE APOCALYPSE -- DAVID KORESH & OTHER AMERICAN MESSIAHS by Samples, Castro, Abanes & Lyle
    • Larson's New Book of Cults by Bob Larson

Next are about JWs specifically (so that I can compare their social factors against the indicators for cults mentioned in the above texts).

• The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses by Heather and Gary Botting
    • Apocalypse Delayed by M. James Penton
    • Crisis of Conscience -- The struggle between loyalty ot God and loyalty to one's religion by Raymond Franz
    • 30 Years a Watchtower Slave by William J. Schnell
    • Wolves Among the Sheep by James Kostelkiuk
    • Blood on the Altar -- Confessions of Jehovah's WItness Minister by David A. Reed

Next are the words of JWs themselves, to get their side of the story:

• Reasoning From the Scriptures by Watchtower Society
    • Life -- Did it get here by evolution, or by creation? by Watchtower Society
    • Watchtower CD-ROM Library 1999 by Watchtower Society (I have not read this in it's entirety, of course, but I have read many, many things from this)
    • I could go on here, but let it suffice to say that I have a well stocked Watchtower Society published library. Not only have I read all the books, so has everyone else that studies them at book studies, etc.

The following are not directly about cults, but rather about general reasoning and useful background information:

• Fads & Fallacies by Martin Gardner (not directly about cults, but rather about general reasoning)
    • VooDoo Science -- The Road from Foolishness to Fraud by Robert Park
    • Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer
    • Did Adam and Eve have Navels? by Martin Gardner
    • Don't Know Much about the Bible by Kenneth C. Davis

Websites:

Fallacies -- The Nizkor Project, a summary of fallacies in "logic"

FlimFlam.com -- Exposing fraud, confidence games, scams, rip-offs, swindles, rackets, shell games, deceptions and flimflam

Field Guide to Critical Thinking -- from CSICOP

History of doomsday predictions

Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible -- by Joseph Francis Alward

Science and Creationism -- A View from the National Academy of Sciences

Research on the Watchtower -- Just what it says...

Watchtower Information Service

WatchtowerNews.org -- Newswire on JWs

JW Info Line

Time check: 21 minutes since I started posting, and the longest thing is now behind me.

ANSWER (2):

I define a cult by the way it behaves toward its members. I DO NOT define it interms of what it believes and it's opinion of non-members. A finding of "cult" is not like a finding of "pregnancy". Pregnancy is a binary situation: either you are pregnant, or you are not. You can not be "a little bit pregnant". But a group can be "a little bit cult-like". It is a spectrum, with harmless groups at one end of the scale (i.e. "non-cults") and dangerous and destructive cults at the other end (Branch Davidians, Moonies, Heaven's Gate, etc.). The question should not be "is this groupd a cult" but rather "where on the scale is this group? Which end of the scale are they closer to?"

The factors which I use when analysing where a group falls on the "cult scale" are it's attitude to member's, their ability (or lack) to make their own decisions about things, their ability to think for themselves (or not). I could go on, but I won't: if you want to learn more, I suggest reading Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan which talks about The Moonies, not abou JWs

Time check: 28 minutes!

Answer (3)

People often say this only because they hear other people saying it. I feel it is important to learn about what defines a cult (see answer 2 above) before repeating that "Cult" label like a parrot. Having said that, I feel that the groups used as examples in this question do indeed fit the categorization of "cult" to some degree or another and I would put them at the "very cultish" end of the scale.

Answer (4)

Very carefully. If the person has been told that any who oppose their group are dangerous and devilish, my reaction could cause the relative to shun me, despite my sincere efforts to help them. I believe in LOVE combined with CAREFUL STUDY OF BOTH SIDES OF THE ISSUE will either (a) lead me to conclude that I was wrong, they are not in a cult OR (b) reaffirm my resolve to rescue my friend/relative from the dangerous situation they are in

Time check: 33 minutes

Answer (5)

I understand that this board isn't necessarily biased, since anyone if free to post here. If there is any bias, one way or another, it is a result of the proofs and arguments presented, not due to any deliberate bias from the proprietor (Simon).

Answer (6)

I have not counted time since the early 1990s. I think that anyone who counts time spent on this website on their monthly reports is being dishonest with their congregation. I don't know how such a person could sleep at night.

Answer (7)

IMHO, the principle of Free Speech does not extend within the JW congregation. JWs are not free to openly express their opinions if those opinions are different from the "officially provided opinion" (also known as "present truth"). It is ironic that a group that has used "Free Speech" constitutional arguments to protect their ability to knock on doors does not permit free speech within its own group.

Answer (8)

I personally was tried for apostasy when I expressed an opinion which was not in agreement with "present truth". I was NOT convicted of apostasy, but only because I terminated my relationship before the conclusion of the "trial" . I know of many, many others who have had the same experience. My JW mother was investigated by a Judical Committee when she expressed an opinion that was not in line with "present truth". That slap on the wrist worked, she recanted and is still a JW.

Answer (9)

I have spent at least 90 minutes at the Nizkor site. I wish I had time to study it enough to memorize it. It is like a lesson it "bull-crap detection".

Final time check: 41 minutes (and most of that was compiling the list in Answer (1)... also, I tend to be wordy).

I suspect that BLEEP can beat my record. Come on BLEEP your turn.

Edited by - Quotes on 16 August 2002 15:52:11

Edited by - Quotes on 16 August 2002 15:53:50

Edited by - Quotes on 16 August 2002 15:55:0

• Bleep
    Bleep

Ok I will try to beat that time but it would be unfair since you have more questions.

Quotes asked,
    Q1 Please list the names of books, periodicals, websites, etc. that you have studied as part of your information gathering to learn about cults.
    Merriam Webster Online wrote,
    And here is Answer (1)
    Main Entry: cult
    Pronunciation: 'k<
    Function: noun
    Usage: often attributive
    Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
    Date: 1617
    1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator 5 a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially: such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

The Bible has What the Evidence Shows
    A government official of the city of St. Petersburg, Russia, explained: Jehovahs Witnesses were presented to us as some kind of underground sect sitting in the darkness and slaughtering children and killing themselves. However, the people of Russia have recently become better acquainted with the true nature of the Witnesses. After working with Jehovahs Witnesses in connection with an international convention, the same official observed: Now I see normal, smiling people, even better than many people I know. They are peaceful and calm, and they love one another very much. He added: I really do not understand why people tell such lies about them.
    Jehovahs Witnesses do not hold ritualistic meetings, nor is their worship cloaked in secrecy. Non-Witness author Julia Mitchell Corbett notes: When they meet, usually more than once a week, in Kingdom Halls (their meeting sites are not called churches), most of their time is spent in Bible study and discussion. Their meeting places are clearly marked with a sign. The meetings are open, and the general public is invited to attend. Unannounced guests are more than welcome.
    The Witnesses have earned the reputation of being honest, courteous, and industrious, adds Corbett in her book Religion in America. Many who are not Witnesses readily acknowledge that there is nothing freakish or bizarre about Jehovahs Witnesses. Their conduct does not clash with what is accepted as normal social behavior. The New Encyclopedia Britannica accurately states that the Witnesses insist upon a high moral code in personal conduct.
    The director of news and special projects for a television station in the United States wrote to Jehovahs Witnesses in response to a biased report about the Witnesses on the TV news show 60 Minutes. He said: If more people lived the way your faith does, this nation wouldnt be in the shape it is in. I am one newsman who knows that your organization is founded on love and a strong faith in the Creator. I want you to know that not all News people are as biased.
    A Well-Known Religion
    Is it fair to say that Jehovahs Witnesses are a small fringe religious group? In a sense, Jehovahs Witnesses are few in number compared to some religions. However, recall what Jesus said: Narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it.Matthew 7:13, 14.

At any rate, the Witnesses are far from being a small fringe cult. In the spring of 1993, more than
    million people attended the Witnesses Memorial of Christs death. But more important than their number are their moral character and exemplary behavior, which have brought them worldwide commendation. Undoubtedly this has been a factor in countries that have given them official recognition as a known, bona fide religion.
    Outstanding is a recent ruling by the European Court of Human Rights. It declared that the Witnesses should enjoy freedom of thought, conscience, and religion and that they have the right to speak about their faith and teach it to others. This would hardly be the case if Jehovahs Witnesses were known to use deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit members or if they used manipulative methods to control the minds of their followers.
    Multitudes around the world are well acquainted with Jehovahs Witnesses. Of the millions of non-Witnesses who are studying the Bible with the Witnesses or who have studied with them at one time or another, we ask, Were there any attempts to brainwash you? Did the Witnesses employ mind-control techniques on you? No would doubtless be your frank response. Obviously, if these methods had been used, there would be an overwhelming number of victims in contradiction to any argument in favor of Jehovahs Witnesses.

Absorbed in Humanity
    Cult members often isolate themselves from family, friends, and even society in general. Is that the case with Jehovahs Witnesses? I do not belong to Jehovahs Witnesses, wrote a newsman in the Czech Republic. Yet he added: It is obvious that they [Jehovahs Witnesses] have tremendous moral strength. . . . They recognize governmental authorities but believe that only Gods Kingdom is capable of solving all human problems. But watch itthey are not fanatics. They are people who are absorbed in humanity.
    And they do not live in communes, isolating themselves from relatives and others. Jehovahs Witnesses recognize that it is their Scriptural responsibility to love and care for their families. They live and work with people of all races and religions. When disasters strike, they are quick to respond with relief supplies and other humanitarian assistance.
    More important, they are engaged in an educational program that has no comparison. How many religions have an organized system to pay personal visits to every individual in their community? Jehovahs Witnesses do this in more than 200 lands and in more than 200 languages! Clearly, Jehovahs Witnesses are absorbed in humanity.

Strict Adherence to the Bible
    Admittedly, the teachings of Jehovahs Witnesses are different from those provided by the churches. Jehovahs Witnesses believe that Jehovah is the almighty God and that Jesus is his Son, not part of a triune deity. Their faith is anchored in the belief that Gods Kingdom alone can bring relief to suffering humanity. They warn people of the imminent destruction of this corrupt system of things. They preach about Gods promise of an earthly paradise for obedient mankind. They do not venerate the cross. They do not celebrate Christmas. They believe that the soul is mortal and that there is no hellfire. They will not eat blood, nor will they accept blood transfusions. They abstain from involvement in politics and participation in warfare. Have you ever asked yourself why the teachings of Jehovahs Witnesses are so different?
    A Massachusetts newspaper, the Daily Hampshire Gazette, explains that Jehovahs Witnesses strict interpretation of the Bible forbids many activities others take for granted . . . , all in an effort to follow the example of first-century Christians and the word of the Bible. The Encyclopedia of Religion agrees that all that they believe is based on the Bible. They proof text (that is, supply a biblical citation to support) almost every statement of faith, taking for granted the authority of the Bible, which entirely supplants tradition. The book Religion in America states: The group has never wavered from its focus on Bible study, and its teachings are supported by an elaborate system of references to scripture.

Who Is Their Leader?
    It is precisely because of this close adherence to Bible teachings that the veneration and idolization of human leaders so characteristic of cults today is not to be found among Jehovahs Witnesses. They reject the concept of a clergy-laity distinction. The Encyclopedia of Religion aptly states about Jehovahs Witnesses: A clergy class and distinctive titles are prohibited.
    They follow Jesus Christ as their Leader and as Head of the Christian congregation. It was Jesus who said: Do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your teacher, whereas all you are brothers. Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ.Matthew 23:8-12.
    It is clear that Jehovahs Witnesses are as far from being a cult as Jesus was from being a glutton and a drunkard. Admittedly, not everyone who was influenced by the false reports about Jesus and his disciples fell into the trap of slandering him. Some may simply have been misinformed. If you have questions about Jehovahs Witnesses and their beliefs, why not get to know them better? The doors to their Kingdom Halls are wide open to all who seek truth.
    You can also benefit from their careful search for accurate Bible knowledge and learn how to worship God in harmony with Jesus words: The hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him.John 4:23.

This source is from the Bible with the help of the Watchtower 1994 2/15
    Quotes asked,
    Q (2) What do YOU think defines a cult? I mean, a lot of people call different groups "cults" but they each have their own reasons, either correct (i.e. generally accepted reasons) or incorrect (i.e. not generally accepted reasons). So how do YOU define a cult?
    Here is answer (2)
    I agree with the Bible and dictionary.

2 questions down in eight min. 4 more to go. Feels like I am bring rushed.

Quotes asked,
    4) How would you react to and deal with a close family member who joined, lets say, The Unification Church (a.k.a. The Moonies)? What would you say to that person (if anything)? What if they were quitting their job, or leaving their wife/husband/ family, in order to pursue The Moonies more intently? What would you do and/or say?

Answer (4) I would do nothing, Jehovah is the one who reaches the open hearts of people.

Quotes asked,
    (5) You have posted previously that, in effect, you feel that people are misled by this website, as if it has a mind or agenda of its own. Do you recognize that this website is only a collection of the postings of hundreds, perhaps thousands of people, like you and me that are not related to and not controlled by this website in any way? Do you understand that if you see something posted by someone that you don't agree with, you may post your opinion/correction? Do you understand that in order for this to be more educational and meaningful, counter-posts should be very specific and include proof? In other words, it is insufficient for me to post "The moon is made of green cheese" -- I would have to prove it! And if I ignored that requirement for proof, and subsequent requests for proof from other posters, I would probably not win over ANYONE to my opinion with respect to the lunar cheese composition. Do you understand this basic principle of discussion boards like this one?

Answer (5)

I do think that this web site is misleading since hardly any JWs are here to voice a defense. Defense is part of the RESOLVEDD strategy in ethics. I do not agree with your point of not being controlled by this web site. You have answered all the questions that were supposed to be answered by others who have failed to answer them. I understand that a counter can be made at any time, which is a great thing having the internet. I understand the basic principles but brothers are not to debate, that might help some people come to a more understanding about me. They conclude I will not respond and will say I am uneducated.

Quotes asked, (6) Do you count the time you spend here as "preaching" on your month-end Publishers Report?
    Answer (6)
    If I counted the time then I would be doing something wrong. I could count the time if I was telephone witnessing. It is just not part of the options that the Kingdom hall has at this time. I will ask the brothers if I can though, just never got around to it yet.

Quotes asked, (7) So you recognize that your right to free speech is curtailed; after all, if you have to keep something to yourself your speech is not very free, is it?

Answer (7)

At any time a brother or sister has a question, an elder is available to hear the opinion. There are no confessions at the Kingdom Hall, brothers and sister can pray for an answer or a view that they have that they want resolved.

• Bleep
    Bleep

Took me half of an hour

• Bleep
    Bleep

Quoyes asked, "(9) Have you spent any time at http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies? This website has nothing to do with JWs or Apostates, but is a very interesting collection of Logical Fallacies, in other words, the mistakes people sometimes make in logice when trying to make a point about something. My first post in this thread referred to this site several times. Have you visited the site yet?"

Answer (9) No.

I have answered all your questions even though you have been sceptical about me and really did not want to change your point of view. So the answers I gave might hurt some since it didn't come from you. But do not forget it is my opinion and based on the Bible and not just the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit