Pro-Life or Pro-Choice--HELP

by Quincy 123 Replies latest social relationships

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Yes...if I was responsible for their condition. I believe a mother and father of a fetus are responsible for the condition of that fetus.

In the case of rape, where the father is unkown, is the mother responsible? Would it be acceptable for her to have an abortion?

Edited by - funkyderek on 16 August 2002 13:51:57

• amac
    amac

In the case of rape, where the father is unkown, is the mother responsible? Would it be acceptable for her to have an abortion?
    If you're asking me, then I would say "yes" that is acceptable and understandable. I feel that a woman has no responsibilty to carry a child that was forced upon her against her will.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

If you're asking me, then I would say "yes" that is acceptable and understandable. I feel that a woman has no responsibilty to carry a child that was forced upon her against her will.
    But doesn't the foetus have the same rights, regardless of how it was conceived?

• amac
    amac

But doesn't the foetus have the same rights, regardless of how it was conceived?
    Yes it does. But the mother has rights also. In a typical pregnancy, I believe the fetus has a right to live and the mother and father have the responsibility to care for the consequences of their actions, either through parenthood or some type of adoption. In a case where they do not have that responsibility because the pregnancy was forced upon the woman through rape, her rights are being violated by the rape, the conception, and the pregnancy. She has the right to terminate this infringement on her rights.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

So the right to life of the foetus is not absolute? If the mother was using faulty contraception, are her rights sufficiently violated to override those of the foetus. What if the father decides to disappear and not take responsibility? Are her rights sufficiently violated then?

• amac
    amac

These questions are getting tricky and I by no means think that a simple answer from a simple man like me could possibly be applied to every situation. But as far as contraceptives go, there is usually a risk involved nevertheless. This should be recognized by a responsible adult. And as far as dead beat dads, because he shirked his responsibilities does not mean her responsibilities are absolved. If she can't care for the child, I would suggest adoption over abortion.

• Quincy
    Quincy

Thank you all for your imput...after a long talk...she is keeping the baby...Keep us in your prayers....Q

• JanH
    JanH

amac,

These questions are getting tricky

Indeed. That is why I would never (or almost never) encourage abortion. I do strongly support a woman's right to chose to have an abortion. She has to live with it, after all, during and after. Those dark age fundies who insist on intruding on others' rights should, to put a spin on a silly slogan, be content with supporting their own goddam family! It's an ethical dilemma, and narrow-minded laws should not intrude.

Quincy,

Glad to hear. Congratulations! This is where the hard work starts for you

- Jan

• amac
    amac

JanH -

It certainly is an ethical dilemna. I don't think the legality of abortion is the problem. The problem is the lack of responsibility in so many people. Too bad they can't legislate that! Because it is such a dilemna and there truly isn't a right solution, I certainly am not for a woman's right to choose, because I see it abused by the majority exercising that right. But then again, I am not against a woman's right to choose, because I agree that a blanket law is going to do nothing to correct the real problem. So all I can really do is decide for myself whether or not the act of abortion is wrong and then express those viewpoints to others and let them do what they want with it.

You know, JanH, for looking like a jedi out of Star Wars, you post some good points!

And to Quincy -

Congratulations and Good Luck! It can certainly change your life, be sure to let it!

Edited by - amac on 16 August 2002 16:41:11

• docpalo
    docpalo

Being a father of 6 children I have a problem with abortions. But this is only a problem when they are done as a matter of convenience. Each and every one of my kids I welcomed into the world and loved them as much as the others. As others have said, she can have the child and place it for adoption or you can raise the child. I look at it as the unborn fetus as having no say, no rights and doesn't deserve death because his parents find him/her inconvenient. I fully support abortions where the situation dictates its necessity. Like the birth would kill the mother or the child would be still born regardless of whatever the doctors could do. I do not support the the fanatical pro lifers who go so far as to say that even stem cell research is killing a life. I also have an ethical dilema when tests reveal that an unborn would be severly retarded or handicapped. To preform an abortion then is playing God and we become like the Racial purists and Medical Ethicists who argue the costs and care over a life. I would do what your heart dictates and if she persists in having the procedure then there is not much you can do. I do not know how long she is in her pregnancy but the longer it goes the more of a human develops inside her. The argument as to when it is a life is simple, when it becomes an entity within that starts at the time of conception. One last thought, there has been some research that women who have abortions at times suffer from depression and withdraw from thier surroundings. I do not know why this is, I am just relating some article that I read in US News & World Reports. Peace, Docpalo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit