CULT CULT CULT

by minimus 83 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Yes but does the catholic church, say you can't read other texts, and kick you out if you do? JW's do!

• Bleep
    Bleep

what other text do you like to read Trauma_Hound, Playboy?

• witchywoman
    witchywoman

Bleep, Trauma_Hound has the freedom to do as he likes. Are you bitter about that?

The witch

• jgnat
    jgnat

Bleep, how many times in the last six months has your WTS instructed you to be "happy", because "Jehovah is a Happy God"? Most people do not need to be instructed when they should be happy or sad. This control over the emotional lives of the members is indeed disturbing.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Bleep, if the WT found out you were at this site and you were disfellowshipped, what would you do?

• minimus
    minimus

Here's a few comments about CULTS.

• pharisee
    pharisee

I had an argument with my father on this very topic. He is innactive and disapproves of many aspects of the JW's thinking and doctirnes. He thinks he's out, but mentally he is not.

I tried to explain to him that the JW's are not just another religion, like he thinks, but a cult. He then replies: " all religions are cults".

I then explained to him that he is partly correct. Almost all religions that I know have some "cult like tendancies". But some like the JW's have gone beyond some "cult like tendancies" and have allowed the religious aspect of their teachings to be ungulfed in cult attributes.

There are also different levels of cults of mind control groups. From low level, like Catholics, Protestants, etc. to medium and high level like the Branch Davidians.

I used the Catholics as an example with him to compare to JW's, because he grew up a Catholic and can't stand them.

I asked him: "When you became a JW, did your Catholic family shun or abandon you? NO.

"Did they listen to all of your preaching and not judge you?" YES.

Thats the difference between a cult and a religion.

There are many other examples.

He did'nt have much to say after that.

• barry
    barry

I think Cult is open to interpretation among christians it is widly known if you dont call our religion cultic then we wont call youre religion cultic. The witnesses are better described as a high control group other christians also fall into this category. Barry

• minimus
    minimus

Spanner, there were many responses and definitions on this thread. Maybe this could be helpful.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Since "cult" is a negative word in our culture, and "religion" is mostly neutral, I usually define a "cult" as a religious superstructure that seeks to control thought. A "good religion" would be one that supports its members, allowing for freedom of thought and expression.

Good religions have never really caught on.

One fundamentalist group defined a cult as "any group that denies that Jesus is God."

Um, so the whole anti-Trinitarian school of thought is cultish? I'm a cult of one?

Ridiculous. Although I also have a visceral reaction when people call my former group a cult. Just a last remnant of group pride, I guess.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit