CULT CULT CULT

by minimus 83 Replies latest watchtower bible

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Far from discouraging us, however, opposition should strengthen our conviction that we are practicing true Christianity.

So when "the world" praises Jehovah's Witnesses for their cleanliness, honesty, polyester suits etc., it means they're "practicing true Christianity" and when "the world" criticises or "persecutes" Jehovah's Witnesses for their peddling of tat, their questionable financial dealings, their life-threatening policies or their peddling of tat, that also means they're "practicing true Christianity"? Is there any possible reaction from "the world" that would suggest that Jehovah's Witnesses are not "practicing true Christianity"?

• Bleep
    Bleep

funkyderek wrote, "and when "the world" criticises or "persecutes" Jehovah's Witnesses for their peddling of tat, their questionable financial dealings, their life-threatening policies or their peddling of tat, that also means they're "practicing true Christianity"?"

I didn't see "tat" in there, did you?

• detective
    detective

Bleep said:

This will detroy any thinking about me being in a cult.

hmmm.

Nope. You still look like a (blood)card carrying member of a destructive cult to me. What's it going to take for you to get suspicious? When they hand you a tambourine or when they hand you the kool-aid?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

expatbrit wrote, "So what does the WT society want since they dont get any riches out of publishing true worship?"

Actually Bleep, you wrote that, and I then quoted it, as I'm quoting you again above. After that, I put up a link which demonstrates that the WT Society does indeed get riches out of publishing "true worship." Riches to the order of hundreds of millions of dollars, in fact.

Interestingly, the WT Society uses this method of making a statement about themselves, having it quoted in a newspaper, and then presenting it again as if the quote originated with the newspaper. Most misleading.

Expatbrit

• Bleep
    Bleep

detective wrote, "Nope. You still look like a (blood)card carrying member of a destructive cult to me."

Many more doctors obstain from blood as well for medical reasons. Jehovah's obstain from blood since Jehovah says it is sacred. Did you want to talk more about the blood issue or more about why people think JW's are a cult?

I was just thinking the other day of why this guy went from being a JW to a priest and now a web host about cults. Maybe he got the idea from Religion and had to come up with a reason to go? Maybe he wanted some contributions since now he knows how much money comes from that?

• detective
    detective

Talking about Jehovah's Witnesses abstaining from blood deserves it's own heading Bleep, don't you think? Besides, if it weren't such a horrific deadly policy, it'd almost be amusing hearing how taking blood in fractioned form is somehow abstaining from blood. But... it's not amusing at all to kill off your members so let's leave that for another topic, shall we?

Why don't we talk about why people say Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult, bleep. Why do you think that is?

I know why I think it's a destructive high control group (aka cult). I'll be happy to share if you'd like. Frankly, I'd much rather hear your version of why I think it's a destructive cult though.

• Bleep
    Bleep

Saying that this orginization or that orginization is an accult can be explained by way of the Bible. If someone rests all of thier hope in one orginization instead of the Bible then it will lead to being mislead.
    Here is what the 1992 10/ 1 6 Watchtower Wrote, "WHAT is a messiah? The words "savior," "redeemer," and "leader" may come to mind. Many people think that a messiah is a figure who inspires hope and devotion in his followers, promising to lead them from oppression to freedom. Since human history is largely a history of oppression, it is not surprising that more than a few such messiahs have emerged over the centuries. (Compare Ecclesiastes 8:9.) But like the self-styled Moses of Crete, these messiahs have more often led their followers to disappointment and disaster than to liberation."

A leader would have to be a figure who inspires hope and devotion in his followers with a condition of leading them out of oppression. The people who write what the people want to hear will attract a certain audience. The book from Raymond Franz attracted alot of ExJW's. So he made a few sales so that he can keep them in circulation and it did well. There had to be a real need for such a book at the time. Any Orginization that is new and different will have trouble at one time or another. This is why the road to life is small. The problem with such an Orginization leading people to freedom is that most people will think in terms of what can I get out of life now. That is why the Watchtower Society has people that have been disappointed.

• detective
    detective

well, thanks for your thoughts Bleep.

Of course, none of that has anything to do with why I personally think the organization is a destructive high control group but that's okay. The reason i think they are a destructive cult isn't based on the dictionary definition of "cult", nor is it based on the groups biblical stance. I base my assessment on the sociological/psychological end of things. I've found that many of the cult experts have given very helpful advice on what to watch for with destructive groups. If you are not familiar with what's being offered in that area, you might want to start reading Steven Hassan's books. They are pretty good.

Control, control, control. Control information. Control emotions. control who you can and cannot speak to. Control what can be read. Control what people wear. Control what people can say. Control exploration of things not relevent to the group. Control medical treatments. Etc.

Maybe you find that sort of thing healthy. I don't.

• Bleep
    Bleep

Thanks for your constructive criticism detective. To those who do not like that control factor can be explained. Another point I would like to make that is about control. No one likes to be disciplined, it does not feel good. But it is important to have, it especially in these last days.

It is vital to have the whole picture to come up with the right choice. Many people are not Jehovah's Witnesses for a reason. I would not like someone coming to my door with a Bible, I can understand that. But sometimes you can figure out who has the pants in the family, it's true.

• detective
    detective

I'm not really talking about resistance to discipline, Bleep. I'm talking about over-regulation of people's lives and an unhealthy degree of control over members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit